Archived Is going on LOA supposed to be this difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
So, due to my desire to focus primarily on my schooling this coming semester as well as my general dissatisfaction with Spot lately, I asked the ETL-HR about the process of taking an educational LOA. I've always seen from these forums that the process is supposed to be relatively simple -- you have up to 12 months, there's a form to fill out and you may need to present your class schedule and explain why you're finding it difficult to juggle school and work. LOAs for personal/non-specific reasons are understandably more difficult, but for school? I don't think it should be that difficult. Especially since I'll be taking 17 credits next semester...

But, no. That's not how my store wants it to be. They like to make things difficult. The ETL-HR says that LOAs for educational reasons are actually only 6 months. I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I'm pretty sure there's a list of LOA maximum lengths on eHR, and that I checked it very recently, and that it said 12 months for education. He claims that's not how our store does it, and that 12 months is too long to have people "employed but not working." Okay, fine. I disagree with that on principle but I wasn't even planning on taking 12 months anyway. In fact, I just wanted this semester off to focus on the credits I need to take. I explain that to him. He tells me something I've never heard before -- that because I'm a GSA, and thus a 'leader' in the building (only when it's convenient for them), I am subject to a different policy when it comes to requesting LOA because having leadership in the building is extra important or something. Before I can go on LOA, they need to hire a fully-trained GSA to take my place while I'm on leave. That person must be hired and ready to work while I'm gone. In addition, the STL needs to approve of this LOA before I can take it and my STL is a giant asshole who makes awful decisions. I would also need to come back by the 6th month, no exceptions. I cannot request an extension to 12 months even though that's what the fucking corporate website says, and I can not take another LOA ever again.

I then asked him, should my LOA request be denied which it obviously will be, how likely it would be to decrease my availability to just weekends because I'm taking 17 fucking credits. I was told any availability requests I submit would also need to be approved by the STL.

Let's just say, I'm fully prepared to quit soon and put in my notice. I hate my store so much.

6 months is the norm for loa. Because it keeps your tm status active in the system. Spot has been known to forget or lose tm's numbers on loa, when they come back. Also, let them know you will step down from GSA., too. You are not required to train the new GSA.

...And as soon as flabber puts in for a transfer that 'forgotten' final will be thrown in his face & he'll be denied.
I'd go to your STL about your leave since it's obvious your ETL-HR will do anything he can to make it as inconvenient as hell.
If he/she can't/won't do anything then it might be time for a call to the HRBP or the hotline.
Sometimes a bridge burned may be the only way out of a snake pit

"fully trained" makes me laugh, it really does. Who gets fully trained at Target nowadays? No one.

You could have looked at him with a straight face and said, "So, you hire some poor smuck off the street, give them a couple of hours of training and throw them to the wolves just like you did me. Easy peasy."

@Flabbergasted , call HROC (1-800-394-1885). The policy was still 12 months when I left a few months back. Your HR sounds like an ass. Don't transfer-it won't help. Verify the info with HROC and go to your STL. They cannot deny an educational leave, especially when they seem to want every employee to have a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back