Service & Engagement Is it a big deal to throw out items if you can't find the DPCI?

Last night, I was helping out at guest services and the closing lead asked us to make sure there was nothing left on the desk. There were a couple of items with no packaging or even a brand name to identify them. I tried to look them up on a MyDevice but I couldn't find them so I tossed them in the trash. Is this a big deal or no?

We put things like this in a "needs numbers" bin. Occasionally, it turns out to be something a guest lost, but usually it's something that's lost its original packaging and needs to have a new UPC sticker made for it. TMs who enjoy doing a little detective work - like myself! - like hunting these things down. The DBO for the area/s the items might have come from would be your best resource.

Often stuff like that is part of something, either a pack or a kit of something. In general you should be able to atleast guess where it might of come from and ask the dbo of that area. We dont have a no dpci bin, although not a bad idea, usually we just put it in the reshop of that area with a note asking for one I wouldnt make a habit that practice, you might not get in trouble for it this time but they will notice if it happens enough.

Last night, I was helping out at guest services and the closing lead asked us to make sure there was nothing left on the desk. There were a couple of items with no packaging or even a brand name to identify them. I tried to look them up on a MyDevice but I couldn't find them so I tossed them in the trash. Is this a big deal or no?

Do a google search to see if it's just miss salvage and it's no longer in the system

I toss those type of things in salvage, which is probably not the right way to handle it either, but when stuff shows up in my cart I only have to much time to spend on a scavenger hunt. The store won't zone itself, the rest of the abandons won't put themselves away, OOS/1-1 batches won't complete themselves, etc. I can easily spend 20 minutes trying to hunt around on the device, in the Target app, online, in the store trying to find numbers for one damn thing. Ain't nobody got time for that. I timebox searches to about 3 minutes. If I can't find it, into the salvage box it goes.

Ironically, my store does’t have a lot of different random items like that. What we DO have is one single “pin art” toy, the square that you can leave an imprint of your hand or face in, that has been roaming around the store for over six months now. I’m never the person to work it when it’s in reshop, but I will randomly find it somewhere in toys or home laying, I take it up front, and its life cycle starts over again. At this point I want to see how long that one toy can keep going

Ironically, my store does’t have a lot of different random items like that. What we DO have is one single “pin art” toy, the square that you can leave an imprint of your hand or face in, that has been roaming around the store for over six months now. I’m never the person to work it when it’s in reshop, but I will randomly find it somewhere in toys or home laying, I take it up front, and its life cycle starts over again. At this point I want to see how long that one toy can keep going

those square pin art toys are
MJ Holdings Merch - it goes on the IMPULSE toy endcap - there should be a vendor that comes in occasionally that can add a ticket to it if it needs or see if there is a shelf label and print a BCODE for it, done.

those square pin art toys are
MJ Holdings Merch - it goes on the IMPULSE toy endcap - there should be a vendor that comes in occasionally that can add a ticket to it if it needs or see if there is a shelf label and print a BCODE for it, done.
The vendor will take back items that aren’t selling or that change seasonally - you could leave it with your receiver if you want it out of the store - but those sell well at ours.

I toss those type of things in salvage, which is probably not the right way to handle it either, but when stuff shows up in my cart I only have to much time to spend on a scavenger hunt. The store won't zone itself, the rest of the abandons won't put themselves away, OOS/1-1 batches won't complete themselves, etc. I can easily spend 20 minutes trying to hunt around on the device, in the Target app, online, in the store trying to find numbers for one damn thing. Ain't nobody got time for that. I timebox searches to about 3 minutes. If I can't find it, into the salvage box it goes.
Exactly, this happened when I was closing and I was scheduled 5:00 PM until 10:30 PM and I just could not find the items no matter what on the MyDevice. I'm in a six hour state so I just could not risk hitting compliance in order to keep looking for the items. I'll keep in mind the idea of calling DBOs in that area, but I think at that particular time, they were already gone.

Back