Answered Is it normal to be working different areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been assigned to work three different positions next week: Tech, Checkout Advocate, and Closing Expert. Now, I do work at tech regularly and I am familiar with working up at the front but closing expert (in my eyes) is a complete 180 from what I have been regularly doing. Hell, I don't have the slightest idea of what closing experts do. My only guess as to why they may have assigned me to that position is because I've only been working mid/closing shifts for Tech. This is the first time I've ever worked at Target and I've only been there for about a month and some change. I still feel new to Target as I don't really know the layout of the whole store (except for electronics). If I could have some input from y'all, I would much appreciate it.

Another question is should I tell my ETL or SD that I'm not comfortable working as closing expert? I don't want them to frown upon me but I also don't want to mess up badly, ya know?

Id expect to be working a few different areas rn because the hours have been cut drastically, if you can do a tech shift you should be a closing shift , in my store atleast thwy pretty much just handle reshop, zone, sometimes push left over truck freight pretty basic stuff. Just think they must think your capable otherwise they would of just given you your one shift in tech that week otherwise

Take it as a compliment and try not to give push back by refusing the opportunity to expand your knowledge. There are plenty of tm’s that would like to do something different that are not allowed, ask most cart attendants. Keep in mind that the more different things you know the more hours you will get and the more ability you have to pick up hours from others.
It used to be called “being global”. If you want a promotion in the future all team leads used to be able to prove they were ’global’ - meaning knew other areas of the store than their own - because we pretty much have to lead all areas as some point.

Take it as a compliment and try not to give push back by refusing the opportunity to expand your knowledge. There are plenty of tm’s that would like to do something different that are not allowed, ask most cart attendants. Keep in mind that the more different things you know the more hours you will get and the more ability you have to pick up hours from others.
It used to be called “being global”. If you want a promotion in the future all team leads used to be able to prove they were ’global’ - meaning knew other areas of the store than their own - because we pretty much have to lead all areas as some point.
As a long-standing cart attendant, I can attest to the "not allowed" aspect of this, unfortunately. Luckily, I'm still plugging away.

There seems to be a tightrope to walk to be given something different to do.
1. If you do poorly: Unlikely anyone will trade for you on their team.
2. If you do amazing : unlikely your leadership will set you free - no matter how much you ask.
Best bet is to do well, not the best/not the worst. Show a willingness to cooperate, not give pushback/complain. Don’t say NO - to staying late, changing shifts, helping where asked. Learn quickly, ask the right questions to not make mistakes. If you’re lucky you will be trained by someone who does it right, if something doesn’t seem right double check with someone else how they do it.

What about working closing expert shifts makes you uncomfortable? The time of the shift? The work itself? It’s literally just doing reshop, zoning, backup cashiering, and doing truck if needed

What about working closing expert shifts makes you uncomfortable? The time of the shift? The work itself? It’s literally just doing reshop, zoning, backup cashiering, and doing truck if needed
I just didn't have a clue about what I'm supposed to do as a closing expert. It seemed like there was more to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back