Archived Is Target gonna become like Kmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it will, it is the nature of all things retail. There is a cycle of birth, growth, prosperity, strife, and bankruptcy. Look at all of the retailers that we have lost or are about to lose - Sears, K-Mart, Bradlees, Ames, Jamesway, Caldor, and if Macy's and JC Penney's keep closing stores, they'll be gone as well.

I predict in 30 years, brick and mortar stores will be the malls of tomorrow. Target might survive as an online retailer or as a grocery / drug store, but I feel the era of the department store is nearing it's end.

Kmart still exists in 2016 for reasons us simple mortals cannot comprehend.
As long as Target maintains the image of being the nicer friendlier cleaner version of Walmart(ASANTS) it'll be around for a long time.
When Sears Macys or JC Pennys go bust you can use those as measurements of when to start worrying.

One reason why Target exists is simply because people refuse to go to Wal-Mart. Target is basically the only other alternative. Dollar stores are slowly becoming the place where people shop who are offended by both Target and Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Kmart still exists in 2016 for reasons us simple mortals cannot comprehend.
As long as Target maintains the image of being the nicer friendlier cleaner version of Walmart(ASANTS) it'll be around for a long time.
When Sears Macys or JC Pennys go bust you can use those as measurements of when to start worrying.

My father works for macys. His store was a marshall fields before being bought. He has very strong views about macys being a far shittier place to work then it ever was when target owned fields.

The comparisons between target and macys from an employee point of view are staggering. Macys is a far worse company and I do not know how they stay in business. They are not a fair comparison to target, and when they fail, it is because of very poor upper management.

My father works for macys. His store was a marshall fields before being bought. He has very strong views about macys being a far shittier place to work then it ever was when target owned fields.

The comparisons between target and macys from an employee point of view are staggering. Macys is a far worse company and I do not know how they stay in business. They are not a fair comparison to target, and when they fail, it is because of very poor upper management.

Oh, do tell!

I think we're still trying to get used to this new idea of owning your business. The fact that i can bring a pallet of water or a couple of pallets of bulk plastics to the front and put a 7X11 sign there was foreign to me and took some getting used to and I didn't like it. After using mystats like my DTL kept preaching though I saw that it was honestly working and guests weren't complaining about it so fuck it.

Kmart is a company barely surviving, Target is still a massively profitable company. When Target cuts payroll it is not that they can not afford it, they simply want to pop the profit as much as possible. Retail over all is a very challenging environment for everybody now, online shopping is a huge challenge to brick and motor stores. And it does not help Target keeps shooting itself in the foot with things like Canada and Pfresh which never worked out the way the thought. Targets numbers fall in line with other retailers, when they are up so is Target, when they are down so is Target. That has more to do with how people are spending their money than anything Target does. The "boycott" irrelevant as Target sales have been up over all just not up as high they wanted. That is something else to keep in mind, same store sales are still growing, just not fast enough for investors.

I dont know about Pfresh never working but market as a whole has been pretty good for the company I thought. The problem is outside of when Pfresh first launched they have barely supported it...at least from an hours perspective IMO

I dont know about Pfresh never working but market as a whole has been pretty good for the company I thought. The problem is outside of when Pfresh first launched they have barely supported it...at least from an hours perspective IMO

Agree with you it may work out eventually but no it has not been successful. In cornells q2 review he said market and electronics are areas we are not doing well.

Agree with you it may work out eventually but no it has not been successful. In cornells q2 review he said market and electronics are areas we are not doing well.

Thats not too surpriing to me though. My store is lower volume and our coverage has been like 11-8 or so per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back