Archived Is Target the right job for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am from So Cal and after applying for a part time job at some places, I finally got an interview with Target. It went well and they scheduled for me for a 2nd interview next week.

I was pretty excited and everything because this would be my first job (I have volunteer experience and I had a job as a coach but I'm not really counting that). I decided to check up online for the reviews of those who have worked at Target and...WOW. I was shocked and I had no idea that people hated working here so much. It has scared the crap out of me and now I'm confused as to whether I still want this job or not.

The job I'm currently interviewing for is for Hardlines. I don't really know what that is and when I asked in my first interview, he told me that its pretty much everything except for clothes which is softlines.

I just graduated high school and I'm just looking for a job to earn a good wage, I will be going off to college in a month as a full time student but I'm hoping to work just weekends and some nights when that time comes around and IF I get the job.

I'm a responsible, obedient worker who will do his job. I'm pretty hardworking, smart (3.8 GPA) and I have good communicating and social skills. Like I said before, I'm not really looking at this as a career but rather just a part time job to earn some extra bucks.

From reading all the reviews (not just on this site but plenty others) a lot of people hate working at Target and I have heard on more than one occasion someone say that "There are much better options if you're just looking for a part time job"......is this true? Also I noticed that a lot of the people giving Target the bad reviews are from the East Coast...is/would it be different for California stores?

I did apply to quite a few places and Target, so far, is the only that I got an interview with. Should I go along with the 2nd interview and then take the job or should I perhaps cancel the interview and continue to look somewhere else?

Also, what is it like working at hardlines? Is it pretty hard, does it get tiring/exhausting etc? What are the job duties?

Thank you so much and I'm just glad that I found out about this site. Please help me with my decision!

I'm sure you can find negative reviews online of any job that you apply for. People are less likely to take the time to praise something than they are to take to any forum to say negative things. While it's hard to say whether or not it's the job for you, and everyone's stores and experiences are different - I've always said that my job is hardly about the job for me. I came to Target as temporary means to an end, and several years later I'm lucky enough to work in a store where most of us have been around forever and we're truly like family. It DEFINITELY has it's frustrations, but on any given day I laugh and have fun more than I stress.

I've worked both hardlines and softlines and prefer hardlines. If you're working during the day you'll be pushing stock to the floor, responding to the front lanes for backup, helping with reshop, helping team leads out with projects, and most importantly helping guests. At night, most of the duties are the same, with the added responsibility of "zoning," which is straightening the store up for the next day. The schedule is generally extremely flexible, which is hard to find in some businesses.

Again, I don't think that anyone can really answer if it's the right job for you - it's definitely not for everyone - and most people know fairly quickly whether or not they're going to last in it. But I was just as hesitant when I applied, and I'm still here!

Hi there!

When I was at university, I had a job with a supermarket that I LOATHED. The people there were terrible, the hours sucked, and the customers were worse.

I can tell you that compared to that experience, I'm LOVING Target. The hours are okay, the people I work for are great, the customers seem somewhat nicer, and everything is much more organized. I know this sounds silly but we're always having events and contests, and I really like that about my job.

Of course, YMMV.

As long as you are working just nights and weekends SF or cashier while your main priority is college then go for it. My main tip would be do not under any circumstances pick Target over your education. You will regret it big time if you do. I did it and it's why I'm in my 20s and still not done with my Associate's Degree because I kept putting Target's priorities first.

I would go for it.
There are many far worse jobs and while my own experience was pretty bad, up to the end by in large it wasn't a bad place to work.
Especially since it is part time, you aren't depending on it to pay all your bills and it will serve as a decent springboard to the future.

Oh, and welcome to The Break Room.

It's hard to determine if the job is right for you or not. Considering that you're a student and only want a part-time job, then Target would be a good match for that. Just make sure you give them your availability during your interview. NLS is right, you will always find negative reviews for anything online and rarely anything positive. I personally like my store, the managers are cool, my coworkers are great, the flexible scheduling, and junk. The only cons are that I don't have a set schedule, I close regularly, and the hours are never steady. Oh and be prepared to work weekends.

Hardlines is actually my favorite workcenter. For hardlines you put away stray merchandise back in it's place, by stray I mean merchandise that customers leave scattered around the store. You help your supervisor with projects every now and then. You push out clearance merchandise out from the backroom and into the salesfloor. You help customers find
what they are looking for, or answer any questions they might have. You also do back-up at check out, when the lines get long. You straighten out the aisles, making sure stuff is in the right spot and faced correctly. So it's not too bad.

Good luck with your job hunt.

Thank you all so much for the responses! I am going to go ahead with the 2nd interview and see how it all goes. Again, thank you so much for the prompt and very helpful responses!

Take the job but don't settle. Never settle! Keep looking for something that interests you. Stay away from chains, work on campus, music store, video game store, probably any store in the mall that isn't too heavily focused on sales or credit cards, maybe a fun restaurant/bar by campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back