Archived Is That All You need today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
It always amazes me when I'm checking out, and all my stuff is rung up, the cashier will invariably ask me that.

I mean, really? What if I did? Does he/she hold up the line while I go back and grab something else?

Just a peeve of mine, probably silly, but it justs seem like a non-productive thing to say.

Perhaps it's like when people ask "How are you?"

I'd never train a cashier to say that: even moreover, I'd tell them NOT to say that.

Thoughts?

U07zWMt.gif

It's just a more brand way of saying, "So, that's all you're planning to spend in this transaction? Alright, jerk. I'll hit total, but don't tell me wait, after, while you toss some of this impulse candy, a pack of lighters and maybe a soda onto the belt. Sheesh."

Last edited:
The only time I ask that is when I unlock something for a guest so I can either offer to ring them up, unlock something else, or hold while they continue shopping

Asking otherwise is like asking "did you find everything ok?" like if they say no what can the cashier do??

At my store GSTL is calling departments out every 5 minutes asking to bring up items that guest forget... so yeah. They actually do get it.

"did you find everything ok?"

Actually, I don't mind that. Perhaps the guest couldn't find something, but wasn't gonna mention it until asked. It gives the cashier the chance to show interest and say something like "I'll mention that to my supervisor and we'll see if we can't have that for you the next time you visit us...", placating the guest.

Some kinda shit...

At my store GSTL is calling departments out every 5 minutes asking to bring up items that guest forget... so yeah. They actually do get it.
But, does doing it make it the thing to do?

I'm thinking no.

In ye olden days, Target would instruct cashiers NOT to say this because most people, if they did forget something, just want to get out of the store at that point. Reminding the guest at that point would have the guest leaving with a negative impression of the store. It was thought better to have them remember themselves on the way home or once they got home.

Today, it's all about increasing basket size, so at my store we are instructed to ask every guest who is checking out. I do, and most of the time I get a "more than I intended to"-type of response.

In ye olden days, Target would instruct cashiers NOT to say this because most people, if they did forget something, just want to get out of the store at that point. Reminding the guest at that point would have the guest leaving with a negative impression of the store. It was thought better to have them remember themselves on the way home or once they got home.

Today, it's all about increasing basket size, so at my store we are instructed to ask every guest who is checking out. I do, and most of the time I get a "more than I intended to"-type of response.

We were instructed not to say "did you find everything today" for the same reason.

Also I can't tell you how many guests wait until after you've handed over their receipt before they're like "Oh, I was supposed to get a $5 gift card...what happened to that?"

waaaaaay easier to just ask if that was everything instead of having to deal with that mess.

Likely they will say YES - which is important. In Customer Service training, you always want to end the conversation with the customer saying YES which conveys a positive experience. So we never would say "Is there anything else we can do for you" as that would usually cause them to say "NO" which is a negative word.

I just use “did you find everything you needed” as a conversation filler because we’re expected to always be engaging with the guest. It’s just an easy thing to make small talk about that can be dragged out because 99% of the time it goes like this
Me: did you find everything you needed?
Guest: and then some!
Me: *fake laugh like I haven’t heard that 30 guests in a row so far today* that always happens here, this place just sucks you in!
Guest: *will tell me what they came for and what they ended up getting*
Me: *makes up shit to talk about the stuff they’re buying like oh this is so cute, I’ve always wanted this, etc*
*Transaction Ends*
REPEAT FOR 8 HOURS

I just use “did you find everything you needed” as a conversation filler because we’re expected to always be engaging with the guest. It’s just an easy thing to make small talk about that can be dragged out because 99% of the time it goes like this
Me: did you find everything you needed?
Guest: and then some!
Me: *fake laugh like I haven’t heard that 30 guests in a row so far today* that always happens here, this place just sucks you in!
Guest: *will tell me what they came for and what they ended up getting*
Me: *makes up shit to talk about the stuff they’re buying like oh this is so cute, I’ve always wanted this, etc*
*Transaction Ends*
REPEAT FOR 8 HOURS

I hate when they say no. Then gstl walkies for a poor salesfloor team member to find what they should have asked for help with on the floor and take it up.

I hate when they say no. Then gstl walkies for a poor salesfloor team member to find what they should have asked for help with on the floor and take it up.
if they say no I’m just like “awww I’m sorry” lol i don’t tell GSTL anymore too much of a hassle

We're near a major retail cluster & I have no qualms about referring guests to another store I know has what they're looking for if we don't.

"Find everything OK?"
"No, I couldn't find (item we don't carry any more)."
"Yeh, we don't have those but you should check (nearby store I know carries it)."
"Ah, ok. I didn't think about them."

OMG I just thought of something.

We have a few (OK a lot) of cashiers who barely speak English. One is a trainer. About 30 minutes into it, I told her that she could just switch to Spanish. Anyway, I degress.

So, in Spanish, you can say, "Todo esta bien?" Perfectly normal thing to say in Spanish. The problem is they translate it literally and ask the guests, "Everything OK?" Non-Spanish speakers are puzzled. I could hear from my lane guests asking at least a couple of times a day, "Yeah, why?" These cashiers have been cashiers at Target for over 10 years; one is close to 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back