Is the newest schedule when hours were supposed to get cut?

Ever since I started at Target I've heard horror stories, both from my coworkers and on this site, talking about how badly hours get cut after the holidays. I check the newest schedule expecting the worst, and I see...36 hours. As opposed to Christmas week where I got 32!!! I'm in awe that my hours actually went UP. Do the cuts not start until the first fully Jan schedule or something, or did I just get super lucky?

Ever since I started at Target I've heard horror stories, both from my coworkers and on this site, talking about how badly hours get cut after the holidays. I check the newest schedule expecting the worst, and I see...36 hours. As opposed to Christmas week where I got 32!!! I'm in awe that my hours actually went UP. Do the cuts not start until the first fully Jan schedule or something, or did I just get super lucky?

The cuts hit hardest in February. Targets fiscal year ends the Saturday closest to January 31st which is February 1st this year conveniently.

The underperforming seasonal hires were most likely notified of their status this week and shouldn’t be on the new schedule. If you’re still getting a lot of hours then kudos on apparently being a good hire.

Last edited:
Yup you got lucky..when I 1st started same thing happened to me but then they also start asking you to leave early for hr cuts but yes they get cut 1st week of Jan and horribly in feb

Seasonals are still on the first week of January schedule at my store but hours across the board have taken a nose-dive.

I am seasonal, they gave me last week my permanent badge name and permanent discount card (laminated), when I checked my schedules for January I found out I have work just for one day for 2 weeks schedule. I am kinda nervous if it's a sign of my last schedule 😞.

I am seasonal, they gave me last week my permanent badge name and permanent discount card (laminated), when I checked my schedules for January I found out I have work just for one day for 2 weeks schedule. I am kinda nervous if it's a sign of my last schedule 😞.
If you want to stay definitely tell your TL/ETL. May be too late, but expressing interest never hurt

I’m just starting to decide who I’d like to keep.
Same. We've had several job abandoners and callouts in the last few weeks and it's shown the true colors of several people. Some we thought were doing great did not react well when things didn't go according to plan. I look for people who can think on their toes and prioritize when something unexpected happens. I have a few permanent spots that will be open in the next few weeks and I have my eye on some of the seasonals to fill in.

I got my engraved badge and laminated card with my second paycheck as a seasonal, so that doesn't mean anything, sadly.

My store usually starts dropping hours after the next schedule. New Year's week is pretty busy, still.

Looks like the hatchet was indeed being saved for the next schedule. I got cut down to 25, and I'm one of the lucky ones considering most other seasonals were axed, plus a bunch of other TMs getting cut to the teens or even the single digits! :eek:

Looks like the hatchet was indeed being saved for the next schedule. I got cut down to 25, and I'm one of the lucky ones considering most seasonals are axed, plus a bunch of other TMs getting cut to the teens or even the single digits! :eek:

I'm in single digits. I have one (1) four hour shift on the new schedule!

I also have more hours during New Year's week than during Christmas week, but that's because I have a bunch of sales planners to set. The first full week of January was just posted, and I'm back to pre-4th quarter hours.

Back