Is this happening at your store? new scheduling?

BeenheretolongTM

Your fastest is my slowest
So apparently this has started at our store in the BA Peninsula. Word from regional is that TMs can only start shifts at certain times i.g 4am 7am 10 & 2/3pm. Open or close, mids I am not sure of yet. Earliest shift used to be 3am. For unload and SFS/ OPU.

Also from what I’ve been hearing is that my store is trying to eliminate shifts that are less than 5hrs or so. Basically if you can't work a full shift or 6+ hrs you won't even be scheduled. If you are scheduled its based on projected store needs not yours. TMs who are under 5hrs have had hours cut or not even scheduled for the week already.

TLs I talked to don't get the move since students or other Tms who can't work full shifts due to a second job or whatever they have going on in life would be hit the hardest.

So my question is if any other regions are dealing with this?
Is this a new protocol from headquarters? or is this a regional person & store director trying new things?

this post will be updated when I learn more info.

Last edited:
So apparently at our store let's just say BA Peninsula. Word from regional is that TMs can only start shifts at certain times i.g 7am and or 2pm. They are also trying to eliminate shifts that are less than 5hrs or so. Basically if you can't work a full shift or 6+ hrs you won't even be scheduled. If you are scheduled its based on the store needs not yours. It's like if you don't fit the narrative you won't get hours. TLs I talked to don't get the move since students or other Tms who can't work full shifts due to a second job or whatever they have going on in life would be hit the hardest.

So any other regions dealing with this? Is this a new protocol from headquarters? or is this a regional person trying new things?

Nothing new here

That seems odd because scheduling for 4 hours of targeted to the busiest times means fewer team members sitting around during longer shifts when it may not be as busy. It also means that team members with 4-6 hr shifts are less likely to get enough hours for benefits which saves Target more money. It would be silly to have to schedule every department to the needs of the busiest hours from open to close when that isn't the way it needs to be done. On the front end there are 1-3 advocates at opening and closing and as many as 8-10 during parts of the weekend and 5-8 during the busiest part of the day, overlapping and not starting and leaving all at once. Yes I can see maybe eliminating some team members who can't be scheduled more than 8-12 hrs per week or only have availability when the store is slow but short shifts based on stores busy times actually seems to benefit the store more than the team member.

My store has a wide range of start times & shift lengths. 5-10pm shifts are the norm for closers at my store, but if you have more availability they may schedule you earlier. For awhile they were fond of 5.5 or 5.75 hour shifts (6 hour state) to avoid paying for lunch. When we closed at 9 I was commonly scheduled 5-9.

YStoreMV, obviously, but it doesn't appear to really be a corporate mandate. Or if it is, not one that's listened to (and for good reason). If it works best for your store to schedule that way, that's a different story.

This is something new to our store as well. I've been told that in a few weeks time, half shifts are no longer available except for front end. There will be 3 time slots for shifts. 4 am, 10am, and 2pm, and they will have to be full shifts. If you cannot start at those times or if you cannot come for full shifts, then the only area you can be in is in the front end. Only front end gets to have half shifts.

This is something new to our store as well. I've been told that in a few weeks time, half shifts are no longer available except for front end. There will be 3 time slots for shifts. 4 am, 10am, and 2pm, and they will have to be full shifts. If you cannot start at those times or if you cannot come for full shifts, then the only area you can be in is in the front end. Only front end gets to have half shifts.
Damn I'm kind of wishing my store would do this, a 2-9 shift four days a week would be sweet!

All the SDTMs at my store have been getting 5 hour shifts. 2 openers, 2 early mids (but one is usually reshop), 1-2 late mids, 1-2 closers

they put us all on set schedules in mytime. Been nice to know roughly my schedule every week (they do make edits to it sometimes). I‘m an early mid and love it. Don’t have to wake up early to open, and am still out by3-4.

once you do a lot of 5 hour shifts, especially at GS, 8 hours seems impossible

Last edited:

My store would lose all of their closing TMs on the sales floor if they did this. All of us.

Except one, actually, I take it back. There is one of us without a day job who does 2-10 during the week.

my store would probably lose at least 50% of our total roster if we did this. at the front in particular i just don’t have enough people, period, to not give people 7.75s on a regular basis both at the lanes and service desk

The closing expert role should stay shorter, I would think, unless they are eliminating it. Gonna be tough for low payroll or college town stores. I guess that is part of the reason for On-Demand folks.

What time tho . I went to overnight to 4 am . And now I’m a test store for something new that’s coming out . First day was Friday and already lost my main unloader
Changes specific to GM/Inbound only?

Back