Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

So the newest schedule used mytime. Market hours are now 6am to 10pm at my store!!!! AND we get a mid on saturday. Seems we got like 20-30 more hours!!! I dont know what I am going to do with myself when I am closing til 10. I usually get the zone done by 8. I guess I can get in a good super zone on some aisles finally
Careful, spot may add dry market or hba to zone too, before you leave at 10pm.

So the newest schedule used mytime. Market hours are now 6am to 10pm at my store!!!! AND we get a mid on saturday. Seems we got like 20-30 more hours!!! I dont know what I am going to do with myself when I am closing til 10. I usually get the zone done by 8. I guess I can get in a good super zone on some aisles finally

This. The difference in hours was probably cut from the sales floor and/or front end. When my store implemented MyTime in the fall, we were told that pets, chemicals, and paper were now under the "consumables" umbrella and the market team was responsible for them. Needless to say, those areas didn't get touched at all until we started doing mid-day zones again.

This. The difference in hours was probably cut from the sales floor and/or front end. When my store implemented MyTime in the fall, we were told that pets, chemicals, and paper were now under the "consumables" umbrella and the market team was responsible for them. Needless to say, those areas didn't get touched at all until we started doing mid-day zones again.

I allready do G6-G39 which is the entire market section and 3/4 of the entire backwall. Most likely I will have to do G1-G5 which is the paper corner. Usually we only have 1-2 people in hardlines anyway so I doubt I would ALSO have to start zoning pets or HBA.

Ok for curiosity's sake, what is everyone's morning/closing routine? Ours keeps changing & has taken away the flexibility & the freedoms that drew me to the PA job.

Ok for curiosity's sake, what is everyone's morning/closing routine? Ours keeps changing & has taken away the flexibility & the freedoms that drew me to the PA job.

Closing is pretty much working pulls out, filling milk and bananas, and zoning all of pfresh, freezers, coolers and dry market and then reshop.

Opening is ALOT more involved.

Generally these are all tasks that I do in the morning

SDA and cull at 6. Backroom come in at the same time as me so the pulls arent even ready yet. By the time im done with this they are usually done with all the pulls.\
QMOS everything from SDA and Cull
Work out the pulls
Huddle and Break
Work out any reshop
If its a milk delivery day push out the 150-200 something gallons of milk that need to go out (so fun!!!)
If its a C+S delivery day receive and put product into the correct room
Zone up the pfresh area and dairy coolers because they are usually trashed lately since we had to leave at 7 or 8. Finally get to be there til closing starting this week
LOD sales walk because they still want to meet with us and go over whatever
Vendor Survey if it is Monday
Check workbench message boards and take care of anything on there
Check workbench for order related items and go to the back and write down dates so I know whats older and whats fresher and whats expiring for ordering.
Do the Order
Lunch sometime in there
Check for TPCs and make TPCs
Daily Cleaning
Zone/fill/flex endcaps
Meet with Vendors about any instock/upcoming planogram issues.
Reshop again

And if its a truck push day keep tabs on the team and jump in if needed which is pretty much ALWAYS especially Friday.

@pfreshdude do you really get all that done in an 8 hour shift ?? milk alone would take about 1 hour, sometimes, dairy, produce, meat and ambient pulls take 2 hours, cull and sda take about an hour... that's 4 hours so far. zoning juice yogurt 30 mins., dairy, eggs, lunchmeat 30 mins., freezers about an hour.... we are upto 6 hours now. do the order takes 30 mins, cull and zone pfresh valley another 30 mins. daily cleaning and taking cardboard to the bailer 30 mins.... 7 1/2 hours now. check dates in the coolers and check for tpc and make tpc 30 mins, check message board 30 mins.... 8 1/2 hours now.
I never have time for some of this and we never have to do reshop since most of ours is qmos. Hardlines does the dry grocery reshop and the caf pushers push freezer caf pulls.
sometimes no one fills or even zones Milk except for me. Milk is in our pfresh valley and should be zoned when zoning the pfresh valley, but it is never pulled forward and I have seen guests stand on the base stack and have to reach way back just to get a half gallon milk off top shelf, that doesn't fall forward. Gravity doesn't work at Target. We have a milk wall where we fill the milk from the back in the dairy cooler, which makes it easy to fill.

Last edited:
This was my opening routine, starting at 7a:

Clock in, jump straight into produce, meat and ambient pulls (fill bananas with the ambient pull as well). Tried to cull as I pushed since we lost that hour for the deep cull. On truck days we had a flow TM push cooler and freezer with the rest of the autos, if not I would push those myself after huddle and first break.

Right before opening I would take my sanitizer up to food ave and get that filled, then go to huddle and break.

After break, around 8:30, I'd do SDA which usually took around 45 minutes to an hour on most weekdays, then I'd empty out the food qmos bins in the back along with everything I found from the tasklist.

After that, around 9:30 I'd fill milk. On delivery days it takes a bit longer since we're out of a lot more, but usually a half hour tops. If it was a non truck day I'd push the cooler and freezer autos first, then do milk, which would take me to about 10:30.

After milk and/or finishing the morning pulls, hopefully I'd have enough time to take down TPCs for the salesfloor. I almost never made it to the backroom for as long as we had been starting at 7am. I checked the message boards and stuff while I waited for my signs to print in the fixture room. Then I would go and put those up, and take lunch around 11-11:15a.

I would do the order first thing after lunch on an order day, if not maybe try and sweep the ambient room or get a little bit of cleaning done before jumping in to pulls at noon until we left at 1:30 or 2:30, depending on what they were cutting from us.

The last week or so before I left they were doing Pfresh trucks as an all-store push, so that would take at least an hour out of my morning and throw off my entire routine.

Closing was always a lot more laid back for me. Clock in at 2:30, 3, or 3:30, fill bananas, then jump into pulls until about 5:30p. I'd fill milk and bananas again if they needed it before taking lunch at 6 or 6:30, then it's zoning G and reshop until 8:30. I'd spend the last hour culling meat and bakery that would expire the next morning, zoning the pfresh area, and taking care of any other loose ends before clocking out at 9:30 (taking trash out, putting more milk and bananas out to give the next morning's opener less to do, etc).

Again, the cuts in hours really took away any kind of flexibility, like doxie said. If you got one guest that needed a half hour of your time or anything of the sorts, the whole night/morning is thrown off and tasks had to start getting sacrificed, thus starting the game of letting work roll over and over to the next person.

Last edited:
Morning routine at our store:
Small cull (bananas, berries grapes)
SDA
Fill milk & bananas
Work on Autofills
Huddle, followed by bread
More autofills
Order (if it's an order day)Fill all endcaps & sidecaps in all of market
Research Frozen, Dairy & Produce
Pulls
Lunch
More Pulls
Zone Freezer
Break
Clean up & go home

Nightly routine (we typically don't get over there til around 5)
Pulls
Huddle
Lunch
Zone/Cull Dairy aisles
Zone/Cull produce
Check Milk & bakery dates
Touch up freezers
go home

Truck days are slightly different, but still a lot to do.

I envy the stores that have hardlines zone dry market. It's impossible to get everything done with one person from 5-930 already...then add in all of dry market and paper. Either PFresh or dry market looks good, never both, sometimes neither.

Last edited:
Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs... we received 3 pallets of Eggs Today, that is 100 boxes of the large one dozen eggs, total is 1,200 large one dozen eggs. We also received a large supply of the other eggs, 18 count, XL, Jumbo, Egglands best today. All the large one dozen eggs will expire on April 30 or May 1st. I sure hope everyone buys more eggs this Easter. If we have Eggs left after Easter I see a TPC coming on 50 percent off would be 95 cents.

Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs... we received 3 pallets of Eggs Today, that is 100 boxes of the large one dozen eggs, total is 1,200 large one dozen eggs. We also received a large supply of the other eggs, 18 count, XL, Jumbo, Egglands best today. All the large one dozen eggs will expire on April 30 or May 1st. I sure hope everyone buys more eggs this Easter. If we have Eggs left after Easter I see a TPC coming on 50 percent off would be 95 cents.

Oh yeah, the egg push was insane (and I only got one really tall pallet!) I think I have at least 25 cases of MP large eggs. Not much else though. We'll see what tomorrow's truck brings...

As for routine, it varies day by day at my store but, it should be:

Opener:
Cull (meat/produce/bakery) (and coupon meat)
Fill bananas/eggs/milk (Or push milk delivery 2x week)
Push autos
In depth cull in assigned area
Throw QMOS
Finish backstock from pulls/previous trucks
Work CAF pulls
((And add in some cleaning, getting sanitizer, and huddles/random projects))
(Truck days are very different - as long as pulls and cull are complete, then the opener can get everything ready before the truck it's all good)

Closer:
Cull/zone pfresh
Push CAFs
Throw QMOS
Fill milk/eggs/bananas
Zone dry grocery

I am frankly terrified to see how many eggs we will be getting. We were WAY oversent last year and had to TPC for a few weeks to try and sell through it, and we still tossed about a flat. If we have the same issue as we had with turkeys this Thanksgiving (where they push based on sales which were INFLATED), we are getting a crap ton of eggs and I have no place to put them. Oh my dear lord...

@TargetGuy Good lord. I know our freezer gets a little full sometimes but they only ever look that packed while the pallets are sitting in there.

Feel your pain, those are how ours look after flow leaves......thats what we get to pull around all day. I've been leaving stacks of papers with location labels printed on them with the note that I had to locu the location because I could not get to it with reasonable effort.

Hehe, @TargetGuy I will say: 1) That is scary! but 2) I've been there before, and I had to pull batches in coolers/freezers looking like that. "You want me to pull this ten-minute batch in *that* freezer, *now*? Uhh, okay, I'll be back in about forty-five minutes, don't send any safety captains to watch what I'm about to do, but do send help if I don't return." Never thought I would get to stand on top of a stacked pallet of frozen food, or do a Cliffhanger-style climb up between two adjacent pallets to get to a top shelf on the other side. Glad those days are over, other people pull the freezer now, or mostly they just complain it can't be done and let it roll.

Also, for when there is no space to walk on the floor, as pictured above, I now know how much juice it takes to counter-balance my weight so that I can walk along the upper edge of a tub filled with cases of juice.

Side note, I was told that OSHA compliance requires an individual to be able to walk from the front door of a cooler/freezer to the back without obstacle, so that's funny as well. Also cooler/freezer doors must be able to swing open completely without being blocked, but at my store that's usually where we keep our backstock from two trucks ago.

That's my freezer and/or coolers about once every week or two. And not one exec cares. Flow and Backroom must leave on time, leftover push and backstock be damned!

I'm a little apprehensive about this weekend because we have a truck Friday night and one Saturday, and since a Saturday morning truck never gets fully pushed...I have no idea where we're going to put a whole other truck.

We also have 14 pallets of Easter sitting above the line. So there's that.

Well, that will all be fine, I'm sure. It's not like Easter is anytime soon, better hold on to those pallets...

We must be planning to hold onto it so we have stuff to sell at 90% off.

The actual plan is to have whoever is working electronics push it all over the next couple of days. yeah...the is the plan my genius STL came up with. No joke. We also weren't allowed to flex mini at all until this week by his orders.

Back