Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

Which very much goes with my point of focusing (I'm trying so hard not to use the word targeting) the products that are carried to the area is very important.
In the area I lived in NJ, Kosher was very important but it certainly isn't in most areas.
Certain kinds of foods might seem like fads in some areas but are staples and will continue to be for a long time. in other areas.
Knowing that and not making every market the same collection of food will make a huge difference to sales.

Something else that drove me crazy was that Target would have fruit and vegetables imported from other countries on the shelves when it was harvest time in NJ.
Why not do something about trying to local produce into the stores so that it is fresh and you support the local economy?
People will buy more if they see it is local.
Because they would rather send us shitty veggies that the FDC should have tossed themselves. Or so it feels.

Do you mean for the purpose of strategically placing the endcaps? Technically everything is laid out on the adjacency map so if location isn't important, you could just follow that. If I won't be setting the endcaps myself, I'll typically walk with the PPTL to show where I want particular sales plans. It's good to have a plan, whether you make your own or follow Target's.
We follow the adjacency map for the endcaps. My TL wants me to put all the POG numbers and which endcaps they go on in a word document for each week and print them out so we can keep track of them.
What are all the POG numbers I have to worry about for market? I know 120 and 439, but I can't remember the rest.

We follow the adjacency map for the endcaps. My TL wants me to put all the POG numbers and which endcaps they go on in a word document for each week and print them out so we can keep track of them.
What are all the POG numbers I have to worry about for market? I know 120 and 439, but I can't remember the rest.

440 may be Freezers... I can't remember..

What helped me (I scheduled and mapped all of our end caps in Market everytime they dropped) was making a Cheat sheet for the Adjacency. I never again had to look through that god forsaken Adjacency (only half the time of which i followed, as it made more sense to put a Cereal End-cap near Milk, rather than say... Soda...)

Actually now that I think about it i generally just used the Cheat sheet so I could eliminate potential end caps for end caps needing a location... Besides all of our permanent ad-rotations and Perm Vendor end caps I always put them where they would sell the best.

This.
I'm in an area rife with urban AND rural farms & many restaurants here pride themselves on buying 'fresh & local'.
Our major grocery chain does the same on produce which keeps costs significantly lower.
It would be nice if spot could recognize regional differences in food offerings.
Imagine cutting waste by such a move but that's crazy talk.

When you're serviced by a FDC that's several hundred miles away, who knows where the products are actually coming from. We actually have a C&S warehouse not far from my city, and I think they take in local produce nowadays. Of course, C&S didn't send any of it to us before we switched to the FDC.

Which very much goes with my point of focusing (I'm trying so hard not to use the word targeting) the products that are carried to the area is very important.
In the area I lived in NJ, Kosher was very important but it certainly isn't in most areas.
Certain kinds of foods might seem like fads in some areas but are staples and will continue to be for a long time, in other areas.
Knowing that and not making every market the same collection of food will make a huge difference to sales.

Something else that drove me crazy was that Target would have fruit and vegetables imported from other countries on the shelves when it was harvest time in NJ.
Why not do something about trying to local produce into the stores so that it is fresh and you support the local economy?
The C&S report shows local produce updates for only certain stores....CA and maybe TX? Can't recall as its been awhile, but I would adore this idea. My favorite local grocer has a HUGE deal with local farms year round for everything from maple syrup to tomatoes and cake. Everything is labeled on the shelf as part of the local program, and the produce in the summer saves a trip to a farmer's market in the heat.

They are not sent home early. They are schedule 15 mins less and some times only the 3 hours. Where as other get 3.5.

Take a break all you want, but the rest of the team is working, and making up for your break.

Are you saying you agree with this policy, or are you just parroting to your team what your ETL says? Intentionally scheduling someone for 15 minutes shorter than "the rest of the team" specifically because you know they'll take the break they are entitled to is the definition of retaliation. The more that teams sacrifice non-working time (whether they are made to or not) and the more leadership allows it to happen, the more workload increases because of the perception that we can get more done in less time. This isn't something we can easily fix, but it starts with TLs who drive for productivity while still respecting guidelines. You stated that you do not write the schedule or make the policy, which is not abnormal. However, a truly exceptional team leader remains accountable to both their ETL AND their team. Accountable to your ETL for results and performance, but responsible to your team to make sure they have a fair working environment that is within compliance with Target guidelines. I know for a fact that if my ETL told us to start skipping our breaks to finish the zone, and my TL found out, she would have an absolute conniption fit and fight for the team tooth and nail while holding us to the highest possible standard of productivity. It's all about the leadership culture of your store and how you as TL execute "Challenge Upwards" which can indeed work sometimes. In the long run, it may not seem like it, but the high-higher-ups at Corporate would rather see a Flow team with an extra 2 hours of payroll each truck to make up for breaks than the bill from a labor lawsuit which could cost more than it took to pay the entire flow team for the entire year.

This is an area where Target could use some improvement. Pushing a global planogram to ALL the P-Fresh stores will lead to more QMOS shrink. Instead, items carried and space allocated for those items should be based on general sales in the region. In my store and geographical area, Naked juice is a big sales leader, whereas the weird seed-juice things are consistently a QMOS leader. Allocating the same amount of space for each of these items is not as productive as it would be if space were more customized to regional sales trends.

Certain kinds of foods might seem like fads in some areas but are staples and will continue to be for a long time, in other areas.

Especially since we have the Country of Origin labels for "Locally Grown"

Side note: You know what store has a huge halal selection? Dearborn, Michigan. SOMEHOW I DON'T THINK IT'S A FAD THERE.

Because they would rather send us shitty veggies that the FDC should have tossed themselves. Or so it feels.

Ah yes like the bags of onions that half are fucking moldy.

How do you order pfresh items that are not sold in your store? Is it even possible? I tried to order a few different produce and bakery items but it wouldn't let me because they are not sold in my store.

Redwire ... recall they are on several tubs in receiving right now. And they are also in the Ad this week, lol.

Announcement - GoGo squeeZ

Voluntary Recall of Non Organic Gogo Squeez Applesauce Pouches

Edit:
here is this weeks AD with the gogo sueez.

160306_p21ov_5a8on.jpg

Last edited:
How fucking outrageous. There are people starving, yet this dbag wants to whine about wasteful packaging? Go after the cola industry or pretty much any industry that sells retail, not a company that makes eating fresh fruit easier on those who normally can't.

They're six dollars apiece. These are ridiculous

One of my ETLs seems to think Target has given up on GoGos all together.. Have you heard anything like this?
There's a revamp with packaging coming. I'm guessing they will expand with the rest in April. The selection has shrunk at target and other retailers, but started to expand again at other retailers near me.

What cut hours that is not what this new system was put in place for at least my understanding They still should keep the hours for market zone reshop is never done. FDC truck back stock in freezer that is always something that needs done too.

Are you saying you agree with this policy, or are you just parroting to your team what your ETL says?

First, this the decision of the ETL, and , YES! I agree, and all but those 4 agree on this.

It was insisted that we take breaks... the team sans these 4 don't want no stinking breaks. Push, GO HOME.

So those 4 get 15 mins free time on TGT, and thus they work 3.25 v. 3.5.

When I was a TM breaks.. what are those..... no breaks were taken here, on Flow... Push, PUSH.. GO HOME!

People do not want to stay any later than they have too... Which for Flow we run people out.. since we now get free STLIT's, free slaves! :) :) HAAHA! First day.. with a nice fresh STLIT.. fetch ! Push that flat, get those boxes pushed, tick, tick tick! ! You could tell they couldn't handle the pace... BAWAHAHHAHAAA!!! They got it just like any other new rookie meat TM... My team, nor I care not that your STLIT or about your nice pretty ponte pants you stupidly wore to train on FLOW!

Intentionally scheduling someone for 15 minutes shorter than "the rest of the team" specifically because you know they'll take the break they are entitled to is the definition of retaliation.

We, I, don't agree. The team basically decided at huddle, when still had those, that breaks were not worth it, if they got to go home as soon as the push was done... TM's here look at this as wasting THEIR 15 minutes of time.

Most of the team consider these 4 slackers, and if I had my way they would have been in the purge when I go the reins... One of the only saving graces why they were not purged out is they wouldn't have been replaced.. and they do just just, just, enough to be useful. Plus they work in areas where absolutely no one we hire will stay. Any one who has been a Q4 seasonal in those areas, quits, or in the off change we kept them.. would make it clear they are only staying if they work elsewhere!

Getting people to stay in the event that the truck is big enough or special projects, if hours allow, is a big deal. So long as we don't force them to take a lunch... some will.. they will stay as long as I would let them... they work hard..

The more that teams sacrifice non-working time (whether they are made to or not) and the more leadership allows it to happen, the more workload increases because of the perception that we can get more done in less time. This isn't something we can easily fix, but it starts with TLs who drive for productivity while still respecting guidelines.

You stated that you do not write the schedule or make the policy, which is not abnormal.

May or may not be abnormal. Other stores TL's for the teams do the schedule, here when myTime came along all TL's were removed from the schedule.. and with this new edict about when its posted so that they can "massage" it some more... far as I am concerned its one less thing I have to do... I have enough chess pieces to move around the board daily as it is.

However, a truly exceptional team leader remains accountable to both their ETL AND their team. Accountable to your ETL for results and performance, but responsible to your team to make sure they have a fair working environment that is within compliance with Target guidelines.

They got to voice their opinion on breaks.. My TEAM HATES THEM! Despises them!

While I see and have read that viewpoint here for years... well .... I disagree and I am not sorry. I am here to work, and go home. Some one setting up a bunch of rules on you need to take 2 breaks, and a lunch.. sorry, I got things to get done, and I too have other things I want to be doing at home or elsewhere. And as for it setting the that you can increase the workload.. well.. I would have been long done even with it.. because my butt moves! That is one of the reasons I am where I am at... BUST MY ASS!! From the minute I walk in to the second I leave.

I know for a fact that if my ETL told us to start skipping our breaks to finish the zone, and my TL found out, she would have an absolute conniption fit and fight for the team tooth and nail while holding us to the highest possible standard of productivity. It's all about the leadership culture of your store and how you as TL execute "Challenge Upwards" which can indeed work sometimes. In the long run, it may not seem like it, but the high-higher-ups at Corporate would rather see a Flow team with an extra 2 hours of payroll each truck to make up for breaks than the bill from a labor lawsuit which could cost more than it took to pay the entire flow team for the entire year.

All that may be true, but the 4 who would complain get their breaks... and those 4 could care less about the hours.

And while I agree that it has the potential for said lawsuit, well the ETL and HRETL here are willing to gamble on that, and considering its been that way for x years... I agree with them, breaks are wasted time in my book. I have never taken them, ever period. Lunches are foisted on me by TGT's rules (no state law mandates them for my area) and that is just annoying, and it annoys my team. The first question out of a TM mouth if we ask them to stay... "Can I leave before I have to take a lunch!!?!"

And again, it was put to the team, breaks yes or no, if I forced every one to take break because those 4 voted to take them, the team would probably walk out on the spot. There was loud and voiced grumbling over this. Breaks here are hated with a passion on Flow...

These people come in, they want to do their thing and go home! Taking a break and forcing a lunch on them is 45 minutes of wasted time in their books, of which 30 of it is UNPAID.

While I see and don't disagree this is a ticking timebomb... so be it... my team except those 4 no likey breaks!

This is an area where Target could use some improvement. Pushing a global planogram to ALL the P-Fresh stores will lead to more QMOS shrink. Instead, items carried and space allocated for those items should be based on general sales in the region. In my store and geographical area, Naked juice is a big sales leader, whereas the weird seed-juice things are consistently a QMOS leader. Allocating the same amount of space for each of these items is not as productive as it would be if space were more customized to regional sales trends.

This THIS THIS!!!! 1000000000000000x over!!! Quit testing crap in Haight-Ashbury CItyTGT's and think its going to sell in middle America! It don't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hr will be very busy..

If they pay attention, they would only be busy for a day tho...

Our Flow TL would prolly lap 98% of the people who work for Target. I say this I believe he is probably one of the only people in my store would could do that to me (and only because he is taller and has a farther gait, I always tell him).

He gives his entire team their breaks, and they generally always come clean, while still giving his employees what target says they get, whether they like it or not.

Back