Archived Is Walmart really Cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the principles argument for not shopping at Wal Mart. You can use that argument for not shopping at any retail chain. When you buy stuff that's made in China, there's a good chance the workers at the factory in China don't have good wages and working conditions yet everyone buys them anyway. Target definitely has a lot of products made in China.

You have to draw a line someplace.
Walmart is the company that started this mess.
They are the ones who made China into the main source of product for major chains, they are the ones who created the business model rabbit hole that all the other chains felt they had to flee down, they are owned by the the richest, most self centered people in this country.
Is it the only company like it?
No of course not.
But you have to draw a line someplace.

Walmart is way cheaper on certain things like grocery and clothing. They also have a larger automotive, sporting goods, and electronics section than any Target I've been to in over 100 miles. I've also been to their prototype stores which Target has seemed to copy with P-Fresh but Walmart just stuck with more affordable food. Do I shop there? Of course. When my discount + Redcard are still higher than the base Walmart price you have to save money somehow.

I never draw lines because I'm not an artist.

People can make the argument that the whole made in China thing is bad and good. It's obviously bad because America relies way too heavy on imported goods and the conditions and wages of some of the places in China are shitty. It's obviously good because it shows that America is willing to do business with China.

Walmart is cheaper because they control their supply chain. Target has a contract for theirs. Walmart also buys more in bulk which lowers the cost per unit price.

There are three states where I would pick Walmart over Target: PA, GA, and TX. The Walmarts in these states are way better than Target. I miss those Walmarts. The Walmarts here are dirty, small, and full of crazies. I'd rather pay the Target premium.

Walmart is cheaper because they control their supply chain. Target has a contract for theirs. Walmart also buys more in bulk which lowers the cost per unit.
Walmart also controls the shipping of their products. It oftentimes requires the manufacturer to use Walmart trucks to move the product from the manufacturer's facilities to WM's dc. Otherwise they get reduced or no shelf space. So Walmart not only saves money on shipping, it makes a profit on it!

Wal-Mart is open to midnight here at most stores, spot closes at ten. Last minute stop late at night I go to evil-mart. I have three supers and one strange hybrid near me. None are truly quick to get out of. One has a dunkin donuts though. Another a subway.

Wal-Mart is open to midnight here at most stores, spot closes at ten. Last minute stop late at night I go to evil-mart. I have three supers and one strange hybrid near me. None are truly quick to get out of. One has a dunkin donuts though. Another a subway.
Here Wally World is open 24/7. My store is open til 11 pm, and 10 on Sunday.

@daninnj - philly doesn't count as PA. I'm from central PA where there's mostly woods and very small towns. Philly is an entirely different beast.

Their HBA prices are absolutely terrible every time I comped there. They have a smart plan as far as making sure their groceries are cheap as well as infant products, but their clothing is crap and I refuse to purchase their home decor stuff because the stuff always unraveled or were boring and maybe 10% cheaper.

I refuse to purchase their home decor stuff because the stuff always unraveled or were boring and maybe 10% cheaper.
This. The last time I bought towels, they came out a raveled, snarled mess after the first wash BY THEMSELVES.
The stitching came out of some sheets, too.
Other items like laundry baskets, toilet brushes, etc are ok.

This. The last time I bought towels, they came out a raveled, snarled mess after the first wash BY THEMSELVES.
The stitching came out of some sheets, too.
Other items like laundry baskets, toilet brushes, etc are ok.
I have BHG bath sheets. Way cheaper and thicker than what we carry....in fact we just picked up black ones on clearance so we have extras.

I bought our organic sheets back in the day. First wash and they were so threadbare in spots it was like they had dry rot....had bought them over two months before I used them so I just used them for dog bed stuffing.

In my area, WM is cheaper but I rarely buy anything there. I just don't like the store or their practices so I do all I can to not buy from them. Unfortunately, we have no good discount stores here so sometimes I buy something there if I can't find it at Spot or elsewhere. I always feel so dirty afterwards. Ha ha!

I just don't get the hate or disgust. Is the hate or disgust just something that people say to be hip or cool? It's a store. A store. Haters make it sound like a place of torture and pain.

I just don't get the hate or disgust. Is the hate or disgust just something that people say to be hip or cool? It's a store. A store. Haters make it sound like a place of torture and pain.
I hate that one store held a canned food drive for their employees instead of just paying them enough and giving them enough hours to afford food.

I hate that they sued one of their coworkers for part of a settlement she got from a car accident she was in because her Walmart insurance paid her medical bills.

Most importantly I hate them because my room mate works there, works damn too hard, and gets little to no recognition and bothered constantly on his days off about work related things. He's only a department manager, which is the equivalent of being a team lead. He should never be bothered on his time off about something work related.

I stopped shopping so much in Walmart about 10 years ago. The only time I go there now is for yarn because it's cheaper than the arts and crafts store, and for underwear because Target hate us plus sized ladies.

Anyone who says Target is better from a buying standpoint is deluding themselves. I'm not gonna add 50+ bucks on my shopping bill because some employees smile back at me lol. On avarage Walmart is cheaper , around the same quality and has a decent return policy. I don't care if the employees look mad as shit. They work in retail, they should be.

What I do know is that when I did a comp shop - shopping comparison, my grocery bill was 93 bucks less at walmart

Wal Mart isn't perfect and they probably do bad shit to their employees but let's not act like they're the only one. Target and other retail chain stores have their own share of sins and bad practices.

I just laugh at the Wal Mart bashing fad. Some people have this mentality of "I'm too good to shop at Wal Mart" or "Wal Mart isn't trendy so I can't shop there". It makes me laugh.

I hate going to Wal-Mart because if I can't find what I'm looking for, I can't find someone to help me find it. I try to give them as little of my money as possible. I shop at Target and other grocery chains not to be 'hip' or 'trendy', but because I'm not about to help the Walton family line their pockets. Wal-Mart only gets my business if I have to go with someone else there, and even then, they don't have much that I can't get cheaper at a different store or Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back