Archived It's official: no HMOs or PPOs next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
We knew it was coming but....
Got a little flyer in the mail today announcing Target's move to account-based health plans.
The insult was when it stated that, according to the Best Team Survey, "we know these costs remain a major concern for our team."
No, having decent AND affordable health care is a major concern.
"We hear you. As part of our plan to continue offering meaningful benefits to you & your family, we've made changes to control the costs that we can." By following other major companies in further reducing the choices of your employees.
"These plans encourage you to be a more informed consumer of health care, which saves money for all of us."
Well, SOME of us anyway. Once again, we're exected to treat the cost of our personal heath like shopping for a new TV. Sure 'preventative' care is covered but forget about the 'unexpected'.
Thanks, spot.
Once again, we're underwhelmed by your caring & generosity.

Be honest here - do you have any idea of what health insurance costs are? What you see taken from you paycheck does not come anywhere even CLOSE to what the employer pays. For many companies, health insurance is one of their singles greatest line items in their operations budget. It is a HUGE amount they have to put out. So why is it a surprise that they pass at least some of the costs on to the employees? I pay about $87/biweekly for my insurance. That is just for me, not family coverage. I got hardly any of that back that year. I think I had two uses of it and what they paid didn't come anywhere even close to what I paid out. Nevertheless, I am happy to have it. In 2009 I had $42,000 in surgery costs for one surgery, and about $12,000 for another. I paid a grand total of $30 between the two surgeries when it was all said and done. As you can see, although I wish my employer paid more, I'm happy they provide anything at all.

I do know of what I speak - I used to sell private health insurance. This was five years ago and the rates were outrageous then. Things have only went up in price since then.

Years ago, husband worked for a small company that didn't have coverage so we bought our own so I KNEW how much it cost. We raised our deductibles every time the premium went up until he was finally able to land a job with a bigger company. He was laid off almost 2 yrs ago so I'm providing the bennies.
Yeh, I know the cost is going up (it ALWAYS goes up) but, given the large purge of non-qualifying dependents recently & scaling back hrs so fewer are qualifying, I don't think spot is taking it that hard on the chin.
To say these changes are "in line with the marketplace" hardly makes Target the "best company ever".

Last edited:
Be honest here - do you have any idea of what health insurance costs are? What you see taken from you paycheck does not come anywhere even CLOSE to what the employer pays. For many companies, health insurance is one of their singles greatest line items in their operations budget. It is a HUGE amount they have to put out. So why is it a surprise that they pass at least some of the costs on to the employees? I pay about $87/biweekly for my insurance. That is just for me, not family coverage. I got hardly any of that back that year. I think I had two uses of it and what they paid didn't come anywhere even close to what I paid out. Nevertheless, I am happy to have it. In 2009 I had $42,000 in surgery costs for one surgery, and about $12,000 for another. I paid a grand total of $30 between the two surgeries when it was all said and done. As you can see, although I wish my employer paid more, I'm happy they provide anything at all.

I do know of what I speak - I used to sell private health insurance. This was five years ago and the rates were outrageous then. Things have only went up in price since then.

I understand totally about the cost.
Still doesn't explain why one company (costco) can make the moral choice to fully cover its employees while another (spot) chooses to do the bare minimum.

i cant feel remotely sad about target's out of pocket costs when their MN business performance ranking is #60, but their ceo pay is #1. I think with $24million plus, gregg doesn't have to worry about us peons (until he has to send out a little email announcing the amazing changes that is). i have to scrimp and save just to afford medicine. i had the other plan 2 years ago (definity?), and the costs of medical care was horrendous for children with recurring medical issues. i swapped back to bcbs, and i am very thankful for it. if we do swap (i got the letter also), i will have to get another job just to make up the difference or find another job in general. i understand how it relates to the bottom line, but gregg doesn't have to deal with this so he DOESN'T CARE. he can afford a house call. heck, he can afford to pay someone half his salary and just phone in a conference call every now and then.

We knew it was coming but....
Got a little flyer in the mail today announcing Target's move to account-based health plans.
The insult was when it stated that, according to the Best Team Survey, "we know these costs remain a major concern for our team."
No, having decent AND affordable health care is a major concern.
"We hear you. As part of our plan to continue offering meaningful benefits to you & your family, we've made changes to control the costs that we can." By following other major companies in further reducing the choices of your employees.
"These plans encourage you to be a more informed consumer of health care, which saves money for all of us."
Well, SOME of us anyway. Once again, we're exected to treat the cost of our personal heath like shopping for a new TV. Sure 'preventative' care is covered but forget about the 'unexpected'.
Thanks, spot.
Once again, we're underwhelmed by your caring & generosity.

The good news is that at the start of 2014 you will be able to get on a government backed plan from Blue Cross, Humana, etc. Take your pick. Pretty much any of those will mop the floor with the Target HSA/HRA garbage.

The fact is - damn near every other company can offer real health insurance plans. And don't give me BS about "oh Target is retail and they can't afford it". The fact is, every other retailer can offer real health plans. Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc.... and Target pulls in way more cash than most other retailers.

I've been with a few employers since leaving the Air Force; by the way the DoD Active Duty have the BEST healthcare I've ever experienced. I've noticed that the bigger the company, the crappier the insurance seems to be. I don't know why.

Now I have GREAT insurance with probably one of the larger employers in our country: the Federal Government. It costs more than I've paid at other places, but provides a potential great return on those costs - IF YOU USE THEM.

I've been with a few employers since leaving the Air Force; by the way the DoD Active Duty have the BEST healthcare I've ever experienced. I've noticed that the bigger the company, the crappier the insurance seems to be. I don't know why.

Now I have GREAT insurance with probably one of the larger employers in our country: the Federal Government. It costs more than I've paid at other places, but provides a potential great return on those costs - IF YOU USE THEM.

For younger folks who don't really need them it's not such a big deal.
But for those of us getting on or who have complicated medical issues (and have had all of our lives) and most of all for those folks with family who have those medical problems this is a very big deal.
On the other side of the coin, you never know when something terrible could happen and you could have (g-d forbid) needed medical care that cost so much that it ran out the insurance.
At least the Affordable Care Act put an end to that nonsense.
Too bad it hasn't kept companies from being penny wise and pound foolish.
Or from not caring enough about their people to offer decent medical insurance.

For younger folks who don't really need them it's not such a big deal.
But for those of us getting on or who have complicated medical issues (and have had all of our lives) and most of all for those folks with family who have those medical problems this is a very big deal.
On the other side of the coin, you never know when something terrible could happen and you could have (g-d forbid) needed medical care that cost so much that it ran out the insurance.
At least the Affordable Care Act put an end to that nonsense.
Too bad it hasn't kept companies from being penny wise and pound foolish.
Or from not caring enough about their people to offer decent medical insurance.

Just remember - one person's definition of not decent is very decent to another. Two sides of the same coin and all.

I also have to say that I am happy with the insurance. I rarely us it, but a few years back when I did I have $6,000 in surgery and ended paying only about $600. If I remember correctly I got a check or two back from different doctors, as the insurance paid just after they sent me a bill, so their payments were not reflected on this bill.

We were told during the sign up period last Spring that 2012 would be the last year for HMO and PPO and those choices were available only for those who were currently enrolled in those plans - no one could opt in for those in 2012.

With that being said, I'm quite pleased with Target's health benefit plans. I have full coverage for my family (inc dental and vision and supplemental life ins) and it costs less than 25% of the premium I paid for my private insurance prior to being insured by Target. And the deductibles are lower.

Sadly, many of our employees can't afford the premiums, even as low as they are. Who can afford $450 in monthly premiums making $8.50 an hour? Nobody.

Been on COBRA before landing spot's ins. The monthly premium was eye-popping to say the least.
The deductible was equally eye-popping so, when I finally qualified at spot, it was a real relief.
While husband & I seldom use it, we have 3 boys & someone is always bringing the latest crud home.

We were told during the sign up period last Spring that 2012 would be the last year for HMO and PPO and those choices were available only for those who were currently enrolled in those plans - no one could opt in for those in 2012.

With that being said, I'm quite pleased with Target's health benefit plans. I have full coverage for my family (inc dental and vision and supplemental life ins) and it costs less than 25% of the premium I paid for my private insurance prior to being insured by Target. And the deductibles are lower.

Sadly, many of our employees can't afford the premiums, even as low as they are. Who can afford $450 in monthly premiums making $8.50 an hour? Nobody.

Are you still going to be "quite pleased" after they drop the ppo/hmo?

...and when your out-of-pocket doubles?

Retail Girl, I don't have the PPO or the HMO. I was just eligible for insurance this past summer and neither was an option. I have the HRA now and I am quite pleased. As I said previously, my private insurance coverage was nearly 4 times the monthly premium and my deductible was much higher as were my out of pocket expenses.

Retail Girl, I don't have the PPO or the HMO. I was just eligible for insurance this past summer and neither was an option. I have the HRA now and I am quite pleased. As I said previously, my private insurance coverage was nearly 4 times the monthly premium and my deductible was much higher as were my out of pocket expenses.

The old adage you get what you pay for applies. Why do you think it is so much cheaper? The fact is, if you are on the HRA/HSA plan and have a serious problem (cancer, HIV, car wreck, etc. something that requires serious expensive treatment) you are looking at $10,000 to $20,000 due in full overnight. Under the HMO/PPO, those amounts would be about 90% less.

Hmmmmm..... maybe this is why they created the Wellness Captains in the stores.... And has anyone actually called the Nurseline??? The iTriage app on the iPhone gives better and more accurate information.... I think the Nurseline is staffed by a Spot part timer who is going to school to become a nurse.... Both times I called it, the end result was "You might need to see a doctor to have them check you out just to be safe"...... One wound up being a major surgery.... yeah.... might need to see a doctor just to be safe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back