Archived Job Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received an interview for a job at a place I would really enjoy working, but I'm not sure I'm ready to leave Target. I'm trying to decide if I should go for it or not?

I think I kind of know what I want to do, but I wanted to seek some feedback from others who may have been facing similar dilemma's about leaving Target. I just worry about the stability of the company and of leadership in my store. I love working in my store, however, but can't really go to anyone there because I don't want anyone to find out that I'm thinking of leaving until I decide what my next move will be exactly, so I appreciate any insight you guys may be able to share! Thanks in advance! :)

Update: Didn't get it, so I guess my decision is made. Thanks all for the help.

Last edited:
It is also only a temporary position (6 months) and pays less than I make a Target (Sadly, not much less. Only a dollar or two/hour which, when you think about it, kind of makes Target look pathetic seeing as this is an internship, not a full-time job).

Not sure why an internship should pay less. Pretty sure our interns make far better pay than our TL's.

I understand why you are hesitant about jumping on this.
After the internship is over, you could be looking at being unemployed and in a worse 'spot' than you are in now.
Except you won't have the contacts, the experience, and the opportunities that the internship gave you.

As someone who has gone through some horrendous life changes in the past year, I say go for it.
You will only regret the steps you didn't take.

This might mean six months of working 7 days a week, where you commute for the five days and work Spot on the weekends. Then you'll still have Spot if you need, but you can still get the valuable contacts and experience that $$$ can't buy.

If your store is friendly enough, they will let you work at an internship along with Target. Just inform your HR and ETL you have an internship opportunity and you would like to work Target on your schedule outside of the internship.

I worked an internship at a state law enforcement training facility doing video production M-F 8-4 then worked Target on Mon & Wed 6-10 with open weekends.

Then there is second employment. I also worked at a Super doing Target full-time and working at a TV station part-time early mornings. Then switched to full-time at the TV station with weekends only at Target. At both full-time and part-time I was getting paid more at Target than my TV station gig. However, it was necessary experience for my field.

As long as your internship is getting course credit, it is considered school work, so you can file for educational LOA.

Last edited:
Basically what bull said my store is very flexible with school and this opportunity is not something i can easily pass up on plus i make $20 hr and weekends off at the internship and its a full year thanks to my teacher and connections. If its a great way to get you a better job then take the risk and go for it.

The OP said he is not in school right now. If you were in school, you could get an educational LOA at my store for an internship. But because you're not in school, that's pretty dicey and could depend on the mood of the ETL team.

Wow well the only thing to do then besides LOA is try to change your availability

Yeah, my store's very flexible too. I'm only available M-W for a few hours each night. Right after college I had a different job and only worked Sundays. This was with different management too, but of course it depends on what kind of people they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back