Joining the team! ETL HR

Hello there! I'm starting in a few weeks as the ETL - HR.

I've been the general manager of businesses with smaller 3~5 teams, larger box office stores with 20+ members, but never been in a leadership role with somewhere that does as much business as a place like Target.

Mostly wanted to introduce myself because I already know I'll be coming here a ton for advice and likely to vent, but also because like others in my position I'd appreciate any tips that are relevant to both Target as well as my position!

HR tips :
-Please do not play favorites- treat all equally.
-Listen more than you talk.
-Follow through - both with what is asked of you AND what you promise
-keep the secrets - please don’t blab
- pitch in, everywhere, even if just a little, so that you can truly say “you understand “
-don’t be moody
-please don’t spout kool-aid phrases at us - be real.

HR tips :
- pitch in, everywhere, even if just a little, so that you can truly say “you understand “
-don’t be moody

I am not a fan of kool-aid, have OD'd on it more than once at this point in my career.

I'm thankful that most of those sound like common sense to me, because I know that they don't to everyone, I specifically wanted to be part of the HR side of things so that I could be a resource to the team that they can trust.

How do you feel about your HR department, do you have any specific things that they could be doing better?

I am not a fan of kool-aid, have OD'd on it more than once at this point in my career.

I'm thankful that most of those sound like common sense to me, because I know that they don't to everyone, I specifically wanted to be part of the HR side of things so that I could be a resource to the team that they can trust.

How do you feel about your HR department, do you have any specific things that they could be doing better?
How do I feel? We just have an ETL and a part time tm. The tm is a gem. The ETL is a loud, obnoxious, opinionated person that doesn't listen, usually has their door closed, complains continually, can rarely answer questions that tm's have regarding what are typically HR issues and more often than not does not know how to find the answer. Our HR ETL is great at getting new employees in the door, but more than half are poor choices. They came to us with no HR experience and it shows.

How do I feel? We just have an ETL and a part time tm. The tm is a gem. The ETL is a loud, obnoxious, opinionated person that doesn't listen, usually has their door closed, complains continually, can rarely answer questions that tm's have regarding what are typically HR issues and more often than not does not know how to find the answer. Our HR ETL is great at getting new employees in the door, but more than half are poor choices. They came to us with no HR experience and it shows.
Ouch. That sounds awful. Thankfully it sounds like you have at least a few team members you can lean on, but having that leadership role not feel like a leader can definitely sink morale.

Thank you for sharing your experience though, I hope you guys can rally around each other and people take notice.

We had a few in my time at The Dog. 1st one was a guy in his late 40s. Excellent, a good listener, all around good guy. 2nd was an intelligent young lady in her early 30s. Likeable, quick to learn, helpful. These two moved on to better gigs. The last one was an air-head. Pleasant late 20s cheerleader. Quite likeable. I never had any interaction with her. HR ain't easy.

Hello there! I'm starting in a few weeks as the ETL - HR.

I've been the general manager of businesses with smaller 3~5 teams, larger box office stores with 20+ members, but never been in a leadership role with somewhere that does as much business as a place like Target.

Mostly wanted to introduce myself because I already know I'll be coming here a ton for advice and likely to vent, but also because like others in my position I'd appreciate any tips that are relevant to both Target as well as my position

Like farfromnewbie said, following through and being discreet are very important. Don't trust anyone with sensitive information because people will talk. My HR ETL is on top of things, whether it's LOAs, payroll, scheduling requests/issues, or what have you.

HR tips :
-don’t be moody
👍🏻

Last edited:
HR tips :
-don’t be moody
Sometimes I just need a refresher.

Definitely appreciate all the replies! A refresher is always welcome, I've been the middleman for HR before, but this team is definitely a lot bigger.

Will update after starting!

First, don’t be fooled. Most stores don’t have an hr dept. it’s one or two people, including you, in most stores.

Back