Archived Just a random question. How do you know your being coached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever been coached on performance or anything besides performance before? How do you know if your being coached by a etl or TL?
is it being taken aside into a TL/etl office? Signing papers?

Just a random question haha.

Coachings are one the spot. If your behavior or an action is corrected, you have been coached. "Push that tub instead of pulling" when a TL sees you pulling a tub. You've been coached. If you're signing a paper then you've been put on corrective action (not sure what that counts as, a formal coaching or written coaching or something).

Hmmm ... well then, is it a coaching if I see an ETL or whoever pulling a tub? I'm a normal TM but if someone is doing something not best practice and I point it out, isn't that a coaching?

My STL leaving her keys in the baler for the third time. I find them and take them to her. You've been coached because this is an OSHA violation.

Are coachings a bad thing? Like do you get written up after being corrected? or are they just feedback so you do something correct next time.

or are they something you can get fired for? idk why target calls it coaching then

Its been a while. But there seemed be discussion about there being verbal and documented coachings.

Verbals are on the spot.

But for documented its just a documented agreement that some how you were not performing to Best Practices or somehow to Target standards, a TL or ETL has talked to you and shown you the correct and Best Practice procedure, and you acknowledge your actions and agree to work by Best Practices. And usually there is no reprimand or consequences. Usually it takes a handful of documented coachings to result in a Corrective Action.

As with Corrective Actions, they are documented and result in reprimands. Usually like 30 day-1 year no transfer between stores/work centers, temporary demotion.

The problem is that enough verbal coachings can be slammed together into a CA.
If they are looking to performance you out even moments when it seemed like someone was reminding you of something could be turned into a coaching.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Take the time to do it right and get yelled at for taking to long.
Make sure to zone to planogram and get yelled at for bringing back backstock.
Standup to people who tell you to do things wrong and get fired.
Please don't do the last one.
Been there, done that.
Unemployment sucks.
Go as fast as you can, keeping the best possible accuracy.
If a TL tells you to do something, double check that you understood them correctly (so that can't wiggle out of it later) and do it.

A lot of team members believe every time their TL or ETL says something to them its a coaching because they said I was doing something wrong. This is incorrect a coaching between a TL or ETL and a TM is simply a verbal correcting your actions. The only written part is what us TL's have to type up so their is documentation we talked to you. You'll know its a coaching if the TL or ETL says something along the lines of "I see this again you might get written up" "not following best practice or as instructed, next time will result in corrective action" We have to put on the typed up coaching that we said that to you.
I have team members I get onto about a lot of things but its just a friendly "hey don't do it like that" but after a few times it turns into " you do that again your going to force me to do corrective action". Most times TL's are just giving that nudge to do things the way Target or they want done, we don't want to have to go type up a coaching. I don't know about the rest of you TL's but I have enough paperwork to do without that.

When I was an ETL, even if I verbally coached somebody I had to let out ETL-HR know so it was documented for a trail. This was as simple as sending an e-mail stating I coached so-and-so for blah-blah-blah. If we didn't communicate it formally it never happened. That may just have been the culture in my district though.

Um, no one answered my question. I f I see someone violate a target rule or OSHA rule and I point it out, is that a verbal coaching? I have an example. Our ETL-LOG has a terrible habit of leaving wood pallets standing up on end against the wall. I have told him at least 3 times that this is dangerous and against Target policy. I even said that one day, one of these will fall and hurt someone. Are all those coachings? Is he above the rules because he is an ETL? If it was reversed and he had told me 3 times, I have a feeling I would be in trouble.

Tms can coach each other all the time. In fact, there for a while it was encouraged for anyone to coach anyone anytime they saw a safety issue or breaking best practice. In my district anyway. But tms coaching anyone is never going to be documented and nothing corrective action-y will result from it.

When I was an ETL, even if I verbally coached somebody I had to let out ETL-HR know so it was documented for a trail. This was as simple as sending an e-mail stating I coached so-and-so for blah-blah-blah. If we didn't communicate it formally it never happened. That may just have been the culture in my district though.

Yep I feel like some stores treat documenting differently... We have to do an actual coaching form for these conversations, while some are ok with just sending emails (I feel like someone would have to convert these to forms if you wanted to proceed to CA)

Um, no one answered my question. I f I see someone violate a target rule or OSHA rule and I point it out, is that a verbal coaching? I have an example. Our ETL-LOG has a terrible habit of leaving wood pallets standing up on end against the wall. I have told him at least 3 times that this is dangerous and against Target policy. I even said that one day, one of these will fall and hurt someone. Are all those coachings? Is he above the rules because he is an ETL? If it was reversed and he had told me 3 times, I have a feeling I would be in trouble.

If your ETL is doing something unsafe, say something. I however wouldn't "coach" an ETL not the smartest move. Remember the ETL log is your boss.

Leaving a pallet standing on end is an offense that carries a $10,000.00 fine in my state. So everyone in my store knows that all pallets must be laying flat.....either on the floor or on a stack of other pallets.

At this point you have several options to pursue:

1) talk to your store "safety captain" and let this person talk to the ETL.
2) talk with an LOD that you are comfortable talking to and let this LOD talk with the ETL.
3) talk with your ETL HR and let the ETL HR handle things.
4) Your AP leader is a great person to talk to.....they may be able to fix the problem right away.

Try options at the store level first.
If none of these options results in changing the behavior of the offending ETL you can try:

1) Contact the local fire department (in the city where your store is located.) Ask them about making a surprise store inspection. You'll have to explain the reason why you'd like them to come out. You see, a fire department inspection can occur at any time....no announcement is needed at the store before they arrive. The fire marshal will have many things to look for......fire extinguishers, proper clearance in front of an emergency exit, checking out that signage and sign lights are working....and other safety problems.....like a pallet leaning against the wall. As I said, in my state this is a $10,000.00 fine for standing pallets. This is an immediate fine for the business.
2) Contact OSHA directly. The phone number for your state OSHA department is listed on the same poster that tells about the minimum wage in your state. Or look in the local phone book for this information.

With all of these possible options the problem should get fixed.....if not, then get the hell out of your store and find a job where safety is the first priority!

No buckwill, that is not a coaching. That is you challenging upwards. My examples are not good, but it should provide you with a better understanding. Depending upon the person, the issue, and my relationship with the person determines how formal it is.

A seek to understand is basically asking what happened or why you did this, etc. Hey, buckwill, I noticed you have been late three times this week, what's going on?
That often determines the next step.

A verbal coaching (do these even exist any longer?) is a simple on the spot correction. buckwill, you know you have to change the headers during ad takedown, come on man, guests will argue about the $2.50 and give everyone a headache. (next week) buckwill, remember last week when I reminded you to change the headers during ad takedown? any reason why none of yours are changed? Go ahead and stop what you're working on, go back and correct all of your headers so that there are no price discrepancies for the guests

A coaching is a documented coaching (the person being coached will not see the paper) that follows the DESC model.
Describe the issue or action that the TM is doing wrong.
Express the impact that said action is having upon the store/team/whatever.
Specify the behavior change the TM needs to make.
Communicate the consequence if the change isn't made.

(describe)buckwill, according to the caf timeliness report, you were late on the 1:00 and 3:00 cafs on Monday, the 1:00 cafs on Wednesday, and the 1:00 cafs on Friday.

(express)When the caf's pull times are not met then it has a negative impact on the replenishment of product for our guests. The guests could be looking for that particular item and because that item wasn't available they may have changed their mind completely on any purchases. It also causes the sales floor team to have wait to complete their job of pushing the pulls.

(specify)Going forward, ensure you meet the Target goal times of the caf's, in which you have 1 hour to complete the pulls. If the workload is too large for you to complete it within that time frame, or other circumstances happen that prevent you from completing your work within the allotted time frame, then you need to communicate that to the TL and/or LOD immediately.

(communicate)Failure to meet the caf goal times can/will result in corrective action, up to and including termination. I will follow up with you next week on Wednesday so we can look at your results, and then again in 30 days. What can I do to help you succeed?

Of course there are some people who keep track of everything, every little instance they spoke to you, every single time you were not smiling, etc. **** those people.

I have a question....can I be "coached" by someone who is not MY ETL? An ETL from a different department called me into their office the other day to "talk to me" about "violating policy" and wanted me to sign something saying I had been "spoken to" about the situation. I refused to sign it because I disagreed that I had actually violated the policy. They didn't press the matter and I told MY ETL about it, who was there when said "policy violation" occurred and agreed that I did NOT do anything wrong (and was actually somewhat peeved that the other ETL took it to the level they did). If I get in trouble, so be it....

I have a question....can I be "coached" by someone who is not MY ETL? An ETL from a different department called me into their office the other day to "talk to me" about "violating policy" and wanted me to sign something saying I had been "spoken to" about the situation. I refused to sign it because I disagreed that I had actually violated the policy. They didn't press the matter and I told MY ETL about it, who was there when said "policy violation" occurred and agreed that I did NOT do anything wrong (and was actually somewhat peeved that the other ETL took it to the level they did). If I get in trouble, so be it....

You can be coached by anyone in management. It does not matter if they are your ETL or not.

Different stores have different methods. In mine, if another ETL wanted to coach me about something, they would talk to my ETL and then we would all have a sit down.

Not all stores handle it that way.

I've always been told coachings aren't so horrible. Unless you're being coached for the same thing repeatably, they are just conversations about your performance. Everyone gets coached at one time or another.

Yes, you can be coached by someone who is not your ETL. In my store, usually that ETL will partner with your ETL before the coaching, but not always.

Any ETL can do the coaching but your TL should be involved.
My ETL was never involved in any of the coatings (or the firing).

Thanks for the clarification....I kind of figured I could be, but thought that they should have at least spoken to my ETL (or, at the very least, my TL) about it prior to calling me into their office, ESPECIALLY if they were asking me to "sign off" on it. Admittedly, I didn't actually READ the paper I was being asked to sign so I don't know exactly WHAT it said, but the ETL said it was "acknowledging I violated policy and agreeing to revisit training" on the policy. Honestly, I think my ETL was more peeved that the other ETL didn't discuss it with them before coming to me than the fact that it happened....particularly since we are treated like the "red headed stepchildren" of the store to begin with ;)

If she asked you to sign it, it was probably a Corrective Action. I'm glad you didn't sign it if you weren't "guilty" and that you brought it up with your ETL. I had a TM sign off on a Corrective Action and he actually didn't do what the TL said he did. It took lots of people and lots of time to get ETL HR to shred it.

"Well why would he sign it if he didn't do it?" Uh, cuz he was terrified and intimidated by the TL? He just wanted to get out of her office as soon as he could!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back