Archived Just in the news - Target in trouble for overpricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about unnecessary work. Walk around and check out Seasonal, or last months mini seasonal set of plastics after Christmas. Huge waste of time.

They should go straight into Summer, and straight into Valentine's Day. Just thinking about backstocking all that stuff in Seasonal makes me crazy. Plus someone had to pull it - after setting it, and then it had to be stocked. Ugh.

ETA: 1,790 stores in the United States from: http://pressroom.target.com/corporate

so much time wasted on those two areas.

Hello, Spot. Anyone listening?

To be honest... i opened this thread and read the OP. My first thought was, "this probably happened in california." Sure as chit... they could get any retailer for this. People are just looking to be offended or intentionally screwing themselves for attention. People need to get over themselves.

Hours should NOT be cut from pricing, planogram, ad prep period. If anything, extend these necessary dept hours as needed.

If co. really want to save hours, why not start by eliminate dumb stuff? Like wasting time procedures (like changing shelves that only change the .01 to .o2 for no good reason).

Or change an endcap EVERY single freaking week?

So much of what Target does now doesn't make much sense! Trying to cut hours, but keep CREATING unnecessary work!

oooh or changing the unit price from per pint to per quart or whatever. how about stop making pricing do that and have it correct on the shelf in the first place

Talk about unnecessary work. Walk around and check out Seasonal, or last months mini seasonal set of plastics after Christmas. Huge waste of time.

They should go straight into Summer, and straight into Valentine's Day. Just thinking about backstocking all that stuff in Seasonal makes me crazy. Plus someone had to pull it - after setting it, and then it had to be stocked. Ugh.

ETA: 1,790 stores in the United States from: http://pressroom.target.com/corporate

so much time wasted on those two areas.

Hello, Spot. Anyone listening?

tbh that's true, if we already set swimwear and goggles in feb, why not patio?

Some management leaders will be FIRED for this I hope and get this company back to it's old glorys!

Either that or they'll get million dollar bonuses.

Frankly, I think it still costs them less to pay the fine than to schedule enough people to run the business the right way. So I doubt they'll be in a rush to make any changes UNTIL the public starts noticing Target is just one rung up the ladder from the publicly despised Walmart.

Honestly never saw that myself, as either an employee or a shopper.

As far as I am aware, Target is honest, but a lot of employees working at Target make all sorts of errors! Not well trained? Dumb? Just don't care? I don't know, but when I try to do MY JOB RIGHT, it became a huge issue that how much mistake there are as far as where items really goes on the shelf!

If you're doing your job right then you are probably much slower than than the favorite employees who work quickly & carelessly to meet the unreachable time goals of corporate.

In colder climates, swimwear is out this time of year for the people who vacation in warm climates. Most kids outgrow last year's swimsuits & need a larger size come winter & adults want new clothes for vacation... just because.

Patio is truly a seasonal item.

Are you talking about looking under the Logistics app under myProgress on the PDA? That will give you how many DPCIs are in a pull and how many eaches that pull is. Though note it's not always correct. I think it might be more of an estimate. Because we've had some 36,999 eaches SEAS pull in there.
It's usually accurate. The pull-all SEAS and PCHG (salvage) batches show such high numbers because the system defaults to a quantity of 9,999 for all DPCIs in those batches. Round up to the nearest ten thousand and drop the zeros. That's how many DPCIs there are in that batch.

I get that finding expired signs is frustrating, but we always fix it for the guest, so what's the problem? Also, Kroger is REALLY bad about leaving up old signs. And Kroger won't fix shit for anybody.

I'm just really sick of items being listed online with the incorrect size (ex. 35 ct. Tide Pods vs. 16 ct. Tide Pods) because then all the damn couponers order them for in-store pick up and want to use all their coupons and throw a shit fit when they get to the store and we bring out a 16 ct instead of the 35 ct. that was described online. I had a confrontation with a lady yesterday about this and it's not the first time it's happened.
the worst is that something says a sold in store for a random price. the price match app now says price varies by store. it says on my phone/app! i came all the way! yeah we got it in. there's a ton of other people who want to use coupons for this deal. no we can't pricematch to stores near your home, i didn't talk to you knowing where you wanted to pricematch it to.

i offer a lot to walk to the sign if its in a/b/grocery to check the sign. they usually get mad that they can't read, but saves us a lot of money

It's usually accurate. The pull-all SEAS and PCHG (salvage) batches show such high numbers because the system defaults to a quantity of 9,999 for all DPCIs in those batches. Round up to the nearest ten thousand and drop the zeros. That's how many DPCIs there are in that batch.
Well maybe those are accurate. But I have had just some random pulls or POG pulls be way off what it said. I guess it varies.

I do ad prep at my store, and a guest came up to my register while I was cashiering on a Sunday and wanted to make sure her 2 for 2.50 items came up correctly. They were full price. I did fix the price, but I was curious about why all of her items rung up wrong. I went back to check, and sure enough, there were current signs up for TPCs. They were in the right spot and were marked 2 for 2.50, but the prices were not coming up on TPC. I presume they were fine for the first week of TPCs, but when it rolled over to the next Sundays ad, the promo dropped off prematurely. I also noticed the quantities for one of the items was incorrect on the sign and shelf label when you compared it to the box. So the guests were not getting a 20 count box, but 18. The signs were never marked as "Toss" on my audit report, but they were bad anyway.

TL;DR

Unfortunately, no matter how vigilant we are about taking down signs, corporate sends us bad signs with inaccurate pricing, sizes, quantites and expiration dates all of the time.

No REAL zoners to speak of is 75% of our problem, 25% is no product. Store is a wreck, so how could Anything be priced right? My experience tells me that if management and their team doesn't care how their store looks, neither do the guest.

I still do not see the full point or how they won....Can people not read the actual product any more. They should just get rid of labels, give each guest a "gun" to scan prices for each product, and gives info, might be cheaper than everyone now trying to sue for "false" pricing

Inb4 guests complain about us setting holidays too fast. Also, your store doesn't stage big sets? In that case, there's a huge hour drain.

This is what frustrates me. Everything is about rushing to get stuff done . I used to check the dates of cold cuts and hot dogs but they told me it's not necessary and I needed to pick up on speed. Yet I do do a quick date check where the cold cuts are and there's always expired bacon.this should be checked before stocking milk caf push etc at least once a week in the morning.

Last edited:
In the past 3-4 months I have had many more items come up to the front lanes where the guest says they get a gift card, or wrong prices. I don't know if it's the wording or if signs are in the wrong place, but it slows down the front end when this happens - so much for fast fun and friendly

Because it was freaking 90F here in San Diego yesterday LOL.

As for the topic itself, I'm not surprised at all. I work at the Service Desk I can't tell you how many times I've had to go verify pricing that didn't match signs or old signs were still up... It's a pain in. I can recount many many times this has happened and we would notify the LOD. The next day I'll have to change the price on the same item again and then go tear down the signs myself. Walking away from Service Desk is frowned upon heavily... but with current cut hours...

The news story that I saw was saying that Spot was charging more than the promotional price ( ie sale) and that the sign said one price and the guest was being charged another price...they went on to say that it didn't matter if the sign was expired ( in small print) so that means they were talking about sale signs. I know for a fact in my store that ad signs are not being taken down on Sat night....if they are taken down more are missed than took down. So, when putting up the new ad...if you are not careful you don't realize there are old signs are still up. A few Sundays ago I said something to an etl about the old ad signs still being up...he then informed me that they had to cut hours ( the night before) and that it wasn't that big of a deal. ( I also know we found ad signs form the previous week while doing the 4x4 in groceries on Thurs of this week, so that means they were almost a week out of date) . . Do I think all the blame lays on Spot for cutting hours...no. I also know that you have some team members who just don't care about doing a good job ( ie taking down ad) and management who doesn't follow up. This means etls need to actually get of of their office and follow up on things .

Last edited:
4 million divided by 1700 (roughly) stores... $2300. What is that, 250 hours cut? Watch, we'll have to scan signs once again to add to our workload...

I honestly didn't mind scanning signs up and down. You knew what signs were in an aisle. The sign audit application was awesome since you could print whatever signs were missing just by scanning what was already up in the aisle. During takedown, you were notified if the system though there were still signs up in the aisle. You could do a double check and then force them down if you couldn't find them. As long as signs were scanned in, you knew for a fact if they were up or down.

Granted, we're not given hours to do this anymore. The whole reason behind not scanning signs at all was to save hours, which we all know is the be all, end all solution to everything now. Save hours no matter the cost.

Last edited:
And the date of the sign was not last week's/older?

Again, I have not seen that.
Go look at any sale sign (excluding gift card offers) and find one that does not state the amount you are saving. I guarantee the label behind it will be the same or lower price.

Go look at any sale sign (excluding gift card offers) and find one that does not state the amount you are saving. I guarantee the label behind it will be the same or lower price.

Are you talking about the "as advertised" signs? Those aren't meant to be "sale" prices. It's just in the ad, so they are marking where it is for people who may be looking for it.

As I have to explain to guests every so often...just because it is in the ad doesn't mean it is on sale for a lower price. It just means they are featuring it in an ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back