Just saw this interesting nugget on a FB page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this is only going to work if the modernization is completed at the DC level so stores get product shipped in eaches. We are still getting case packs and the SF and BR are drowning in backstock.

Does anyone know how the conversion of DCs is going?

I agree, so hopefully push comes to shove there too. Heck, I don’t even care that much about the eaches (while an inprovement) if they could send it all sorted and palletized at least. The key to this working smoothly would be to make it all palletized, take out the line in Receiving and replace it with bulk steel, and Unload and stage trucks into the space. Then move could be used to track and work pallets by end to end teams.

The reason stores struggle is that the Unload takes too much payroll and positions to do. I’d you slow it down too much, it will be going for your entire dock hours and vendors will get pissed. If you do it fast, then you are burning through 8 to 12 TMs who then will need to work freight after since they have to work at least 4 hours (and keeping a few areas from being end to end). It’s a road block until addressed.

Just saw this on a TM/TL rant/confession FB page.

Brace yourselves folks. Monday will reveal monumental changes in target leader structure
* no more flow team
* no backroom leader
* same leader closing Monday through Friday
*No more log leaders
Probably the most earth shattering changes in a very long time...

Haven’t had a BR TL for a while at my store, but this rest of this just seems pretty crazy to me. But interesting if it turns out to be somewhat true.

The way I understand it is (and I get the official stuff on Monday) is that the stores that were already working on this will be the official “tests” and reflect their org charts this year for it, while everyone else will need to spend 2018 realigning their leaders to try and be ready when it releases to all of us by 2019.

I agree, so hopefully push comes to shove there too. Heck, I don’t even care that much about the eaches (while an inprovement) if they could send it all sorted and palletized at least. The key to this working smoothly would be to make it all palletized, take out the line in Receiving and replace it with bulk steel, and Unload and stage trucks into the space. Then move could be used to track and work pallets by end to end teams.

The reason stores struggle is that the Unload takes too much payroll and positions to do. I’d you slow it down too much, it will be going for your entire dock hours and vendors will get pissed. If you do it fast, then you are burning through 8 to 12 TMs who then will need to work freight after since they have to work at least 4 hours (and keeping a few areas from being end to end). It’s a road block until addressed.

I'll say it again... How much payroll are you willing to forfeit for this to happen? Trailer cube % / Fill capacity will be drastically reduced by this method.

A long long long time ago we had 2 TLS that only closed. 1 did the weekends the other did M-F. They were called "recovery TLS" It actually worked wonderfully. The closing teams knew exactly what to expect night in and night out. They got a consistent message from the same person each night. If this is true I can't wait.

A long long long time ago we had 2 TLS that only closed. 1 did the weekends the other did M-F. They were called "recovery TLS" It actually worked wonderfully. The closing teams knew exactly what to expect night in and night out. They got a consistent message from the same person each night. If this is true I can't wait.
I miss those days:)

If this were to be true and they get rid of backroom TL, then my store would fall apart

Backroom is the backbone of my store and do a ton.

They really should get rid of flow TL, have backroom TL run backroom and flow. Then improve the flow process. Take away flow and have each team push their own then nothing would ever get filled

Last year, this was mentioned at my store as a possible move with modernization. It was to be 2 closing SrTLs, each working 4 10 hour shifts. (The 4 day week was seen as a reward for always closing). My and another's hands went up fast, lol. 8 days on, 6 days off. Sign me up.
Unfortunately, no more was heard in my store.

Well I mean, my Backroom TL totally sucks so....
Ours too. Completely useless. The other BR TMs carry the area and do it as well as can be expected with absolutely no leadership from the TL.

We were a test store for a limited 'eaches' system. They only did it for one or two fillgroups and it was a disaster. We STILL got tons of backstock. We still had to sort the repack boxes it all came in (sometimes it was 40-60 repacks in one truck) because it wasn't sorted by aisle, so it actually took more time to do it that way. It was terrible.

Ours too. Completely useless. The other BR TMs carry the area and do it as well as can be expected with absolutely no leadership from the TL.

We were a test store for a limited 'eaches' system. They only did it for one or two fillgroups and it was a disaster. We STILL got tons of backstock. We still had to sort the repack boxes it all came in (sometimes it was 40-60 repacks in one truck) because it wasn't sorted by aisle, so it actually took more time to do it that way. It was terrible.
How long did your store try it for? Are your trucks/backroom back to normal now?

40 or 60? Ugh we had about twice that. I feel for you though. When they went to the 6:30 start and nothing came off the trailer sorted including pallets, ouch. They needed to get the dc squared away first then do away with br and flow. But It is what it is. Any Amazon rumors?

I'll say it again... How much payroll are you willing to forfeit for this to happen? Trailer cube % / Fill capacity will be drastically reduced by this method.

The question isn’t purely one about reducing trailer fill to save payroll (I would say close to 20 hours a truck x 15 bucks an hour), but the other benefits it would allow. The amount of trailers Target has to own are much larger than they need to be because we have to drop off trailers and pick up empties since we physically cannot Unload during operating hours. Being able to unload a truck in an hour or less at noon without disrupting the business, and then sending the truck on it’s way would save quite a bit of money.

If this were to be true and they get rid of backroom TL, then my store would fall apart

Backroom is the backbone of my store and do a ton.

They really should get rid of flow TL, have backroom TL run backroom and flow. Then improve the flow process. Take away flow and have each team push their own then nothing would ever get filled
At my store, the same person has been TL for BR and Flow for a few years, although it was the other way around with flow TL taking over BR as well. And I agree about who does a better job stocking - it's a task orientation which is different than a sell orientation. Let people do what they're good at.

Anyone know what this pilot is calle? I want tobsee if I can find my store on Workbench and see if we're part of it.

The way I understand it is (and I get the official stuff on Monday) is that the stores that were already working on this will be the official “tests” and reflect their org charts this year for it, while everyone else will need to spend 2018 realigning their leaders to try and be ready when it releases to all of us by 2019.
Sadly this IS happening with us. I am wondering which SrTL gets the magic choice. It will make me happy if its eithe rof them because that means our ETL-HR wont be LOD anymore or alone anymore wher e she can annoy the fuck out of everyone on the walkie.

If its done the way the currently do repacks, it will be a disaster. It has to be sorted at the DC per aisle to work. IN fact all repacks need to be sorted per aisle right now.

The question isn’t purely one about reducing trailer fill to save payroll (I would say close to 20 hours a truck x 15 bucks an hour), but the other benefits it would allow. The amount of trailers Target has to own are much larger than they need to be because we have to drop off trailers and pick up empties since we physically cannot Unload during operating hours. Being able to unload a truck in an hour or less at noon without disrupting the business, and then sending the truck on it’s way would save quite a bit of money.

Store level payroll would be reduced since you will not have a 1.5 hour unload times 8 people. Those hours will not magically be kept.

If its done the way the currently do repacks, it will be a disaster. It has to be sorted at the DC per aisle to work. IN fact all repacks need to be sorted per aisle right now.

We no longer sort repacks. The DTL feels it takes up too many carts and too much clutter for guests to move around. Team members work one at a time.

IT is absolutely impossible to sort the freight onto pallets by isle at the dc this will never Be a reality,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back