Archived Key Carrier question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGSTLman

FBTL
Hello all - so this week we finally moved into our store and I was finally issued store keys. It was exciting and nerve wracking to say the least (keys have been my biggest anxiety point).

My question is what does one typically do with their keys once they have left the building, and also how do you keep from forgetting them at home. I hooked them to my car keys (didn't put them on my key ring just hooked the rings together) but I don't want to make a habit out of that.

I am used to having keys as a GSTL but I always gave them back at the end of the shift, these I get to keep.

Any advice would be welcome.

I keep mine on a D-ring, separate from my personal keys. Every day when I get off, I put them in the same location: inside pocket of my work purse. I only use this purse for work, so I keep anything work related there and I don't use it for anything else. I don't have to worry about forgetting it in the morning and I don't have to worry about looking for it. I also bought a tile for it. Occasionally I'll accidentally leave it on my desk or something and it's great being able to activate the tile to find it.

Last edited:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tiles.

Not a key carrier, but this may be helpful anyway. Develop a routine. Always put your keys and other work items in the same place. I personally made a key/message center at home with a small chalkboard, 3M command hooks, and a short 3-shelf bookcase for purses and tote bags. Everyone hangs their keys up as soon as they walk in the door, and they don't come off the hook unless we're leaving. In your case, I'd have one hook for personal keys and a second for the work keys, so the work keys stay put when you go out shopping or whatever.

Thanks!! I just ordered myself a Tile (planned to do that but your advice sealed the deal). My problem is I am such a crazy person in the morning that if I don't attach them to my car keys I will definitely forget them, and I don't always go home after work if I have errands to run so I am trying to figure out what to do with them in those situations, too.

I use a tile for my work keys (only needed it once). Just make sure you replace it when it tells you to. They usually last about two years before it starts to tell you it needs replacement. I typically leave mine in my car everyday so if I “forget” them I just have to walk back to my car which I drive to work everyday.

I have a small dish on my dresser where I always put my work keys. I have them on a carabiner. When I get dressed, I clip them to my beltloop. A routine is the most important thing, I think. Find one that works, and stick with it. I have never forgotten my keys at home.

My problem is I am such a crazy person in the morning that if I don't attach them to my car keys I will definitely forget them, and I don't always go home after work if I have errands to run so I am trying to figure out what to do with them in those situations, too.

Honestly I felt that way at first and kept them with my car keys. I separated them a few weeks into the role when I felt I'd built enough of a routine habit around them that I wouldn't forget. I also didn't like the idea of putting my personal keys at a higher risk of being lost by carrying them around all the time.

If you're going to make a space for them at home, clip them to your belt loop as soon as you're off work and leave them there. Don't take them off while you're running errands. Wait until you get home. Otherwise make space for them in your car and leave them there while you're running errands.

Last edited:
Honestly I felt that way at first and kept them with my car keys. I separated them a few weeks into the role when I felt I'd built enough of a routine habit around them that I wouldn't forget. I also didn't like the idea of putting my personal keys at a higher risk of being lost by carrying them around all the time.

If you're going to make a space for them at home, clip them to your belt loop as soon as you're off work and leave them there. Don't take them off while you're running errands. Wait until you get home. Otherwise make space for them in your car and leave them there while you're running errands.

I have a key hook at home already so there's that, but I also have a tendency when I return home from anything to just toss my keys on the first surface I see. I'm trying to break myself of that habit now that I have the store keys but I'm sure it will happen from time to time. I like the idea of just leaving them on me until I get home, I think I might do that.

Tile and carabiner for sure! Hook to your belt loop at work, then hook to your car keys as soon as you leave.

Keys are so last century. All locks should have a changeable touchpad code system. No more key carrier problems.

A majority of key holders including myself (PMTs in my area take our keys home) use Key-Baks available on grainger. Some people have them mixed in with their personal keys and other have work keys on a separate key ring. I usually leave them clipped on my uniform pants and transfer everything in to the new pair the next day, but if I take the keys off for any reason I put them on a table by my front door where my every day carry stuff goes.

On a side note, I had Tile for a year on my personal keys and only used it twice. It worked once but it didn’t connect the second time so I found them myself. I’ve always had a jumbo-sized key chain attached to them to prevent being able to lose them.

Keys are so last century. All locks should have a changeable touchpad code system. No more key carrier problems.
But those generally take batteries and those eventually need replaced. See the door in TSC at some stores, for example.

No longer at target but am a key carrier elsewhere. I leave mine in my car, which goes in my garage. If you don’t have a garage, this may not be the best option. Generally though, anywhere you look for your things that you take with you everyday. Keys phone wallet is what I always check for before leaving and they all have a spot in my home. Put them with those items so you have to take them.

I put mine on the same ring as my house keys, and use a carabiner to clip to that key ring and my car key. When I got to work, I put my car key in a locker and clipped my work and house keys to my belt loop.

The keys to the store are just as important as the keys to your house, so it makes sense to keep them together on the same key ring at all times.

I put mine on the same ring as my house keys, and use a carabiner to clip to that key ring and my car key. When I got to work, I put my car key in a locker and clipped my work and house keys to my belt loop.

The keys to the store are just as important as the keys to your house, so it makes sense to keep them together on the same key ring at all times.

I'm the complete opposite, I have a tendency to lose my house keys (more than twice in 2 years) so I keep store keys separate and don't carry it when unnecessary. Store keys are golden so treat it with the utmost respect.

Except my house keys spend most of their time either in my purse or hanging on my keyhook at home. My store keys spend most of their time on my belt loop and unlocking stuff around the store. Even occasionally being handed off to a TL (this is strictly against policy and I shouldn't do this but sometimes I find it necessary). My store keys have a higher potential to be lost or stolen. I don't want to risk loosing my house keys that much.

My rationale was that I’m not going to forget or lose track of my house keys because that’s literally the only way I can get in without calling a locksmith.

For the 3 months I was a keyholder, I never had a problem unlocking something and then immediately clipping them back to my belt loop. I kept my equipment keys on a separate key ring on the same caribiner so I could loan those out or accidentally leave them in a wave or something without consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back