Archived Kmart's implosion has been Target's gain

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to Kmart because they have a lot of stuff Target does not have and we love couponing. :D

Kmart used to outnumber the Targets in my area 5-to-1 about right before 2000. Now it's the opposite. Actually I'm not even sure where the nearest one is.

In my area, Kmart used to be everywhere. Then in the mid-to-late 90s, Target started opening stores around here. That combined with the ever-growing number of unnecessary Super Walmarts resulted in many of our Kmarts closing.

Need I say any more?

Kmart... never invested money into their stores. They didn't put aside money for remodeling, or advertising, or anything really. All they did was continue to purchase product, and attempt to market to their current shoppers.

That stops working after a while. You can't expect to retain shoppers, and gain a customer base with no effort.

I'm not so sure it's just remodeling that puts you at the top of big box retail. I think it's a lot of things. See, the weird thing is everything you can point at making Kmart fail over the last 25 years can be said about Walmart, which has grown to dominate big box retail. Walmart hasn't seriously invested any money back in their stores until the last 5-10 years or so, there were some seriously dumpy looking stores until recently and yet they still rose to the top. Kmart never had any associates available to help you, Walmart's just as notorious for that.

What's really interesting about Kmart's history is they were the first ones to realize the potential for "lifestyle centers" where you can shop for everything in one spot. It was basically a movement away from shopping malls to more open air shopping environments with just a few specialized big box stores. Which is pretty much what we're at right now in retail. They bought up Borders, Builder's Square, The Sports Authority, Office Max, and Payless Drugs in effort to realize this vision. In the end, their shareholders revolted and it cost Kmart dearly as they had to sell off all of those companies, mostly at losses.

What's fascinating about these three is that they all opened their first store in 1962 and yet they are in 3 entirely different places now and in the past. Kmart shot to the lead early and dominated until it all turned around in the 80s. Walmart has quietly built up an empire. Target has only risen to significance within the last 15-20 years and they already seem to be burning out.

Walmart seems to be closest to "getting it" in terms of nailing down what needs to be done to make it to the top and stay there. Even still, they're showing signs of cracking lately.

Ahhh I worked at a Kmart while I was in college.. It's just a disorganized company when it comes to systems and common sense. For instance, there isn't a flow team, unloading a truck is an all team on deck, and even then, the product isn't back stocked, and the team lead equivalent gives it to their TMs. This is just chaotic. There isn't pulls, a team leader goes and audits and decided what they need versus an instock process. They also have team leaders for every department. We creates ownership but also power hungry, lazy, idiots. It's kinda like viper minus all the systems in place. The offices were all wood panel. A store in my state had asbestos and they kept it open. They also never salvage anything, instead of repackage they put it in a bin, a storage bin pulled from the floor, and fill it with one pair of socks or underwear. It's just cheap and when you shop there you can feel it. And the prices are more expensive then where I live.

Target has only risen to significance within the last 15-20 years and they already seem to be burning out..

It's extremely hard for me to describe in words, however... I've always felt more relaxed and comfortable shopping in Target, than I ever have in Wal-Mart or Kmart.

Even the un-remodeled Target stores, P-97 & (I think it was P-01 or P-00) still felt really nice, and friendly to shop in, before the remodels. They didn't feel dated, or anything.

I'm sure I sound like a company shill at times. But, I really like the company. I grew up, shopping in Target, and I was so happy when I was hired as a Seasonal Employee in 2007. I'd say it was one of the best things that ever happened to my life.

I met some of the most wonderful people between the two stores I worked at. And... I really enjoyed my job. :)

The one close to my Target closed, the one still open only has a super walmart clear across town, so no real competition. Big Lots is between the two. The Kmart is hell-scary. And usually really empty except for product thats been sitting on the shelf for years. Its as if the clearance section at Walmart was made to fill a store with a couple new resets sprinkled around and seasonal changing regularly as well as softlines.

They were really big when they started the double couponing thing. Local lady scammed them super hard though. Then came to our store and tried it. Got AP to trespass her hard-her hubby even called about us being mean and her leaving in tears.

I don't usually buy much outside of seasonal there. I buy clearance sheets from us. Normally around $20 for the 500tc fancy brands. And I buy a spare set to set aside for later-cause we will have a queen forever at this point. I'll be stalking patio furniture this year. I want a bar setup for the porch.

There was a Kmart within walking distance of my house (10-15 minutes) that closed just over a year ago. As I child I went there often with my mom, but in the couple years after I moved back home until the store closed, I only went there when absolutely necessary or if I was bored. That store was dreary at best, a mess at worst. I don't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back