Archived Labor hours being slashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
I can't believe my store.....our labor hours are so crazy! We get delivery trucks in three days a week. I understand that we needed to cut some labor hours (20) so the Friday morning flow shift was cancelled/called off. Then the Friday night TMs were pushing things from the truck.

Then...TMs were being told that they had to leave at 9:45. There would be one sls floor TM and then the GSA & LOD would be the others staying in the store.

We're open until 10pm. How can they have TMs leave the store BEFORE it closes?? How is a store expected to function when there aren't labor hours? Oh, we even had two call offs tonight.

This was one of those nights that were just AMAZING...and I'm not talking Vibe here.

Target advertises that we're on track to give one billion dollars to schools by the end of 2015.....well, if things don't get better there won't be any Target around by 2015!

I have to say that tonight was one of those nights that really make me HATE my job.

Yup, the hour cuts are particularly bad this year. I would have more things to do than I could possibly get done, which usually wasn't a problem because I could delegate things, but now theres no one to delegate to! It sucks because the Barbie Doll ETLs will still expect the same results, and play deaf to the fact that hours/staff are cut.

I can't believe my store.....our labor hours are so crazy! We get delivery trucks in three days a week. I understand that we needed to cut some labor hours (20) so the Friday morning flow shift was cancelled/called off. Then the Friday night TMs were pushing things from the truck.

OK....get this......so the labor hours were cut (I understand that the flow team was told that the truck didn't come in and that's why the shift was cancelled) so today (Saturday) they called flow TMs to see if they'll come in for Sunday morning to unload the truck.

I don't get it....they cancel a shift by lying to TMs and then they call those same TMs to come in on another day? How does that help with the labor hours.

I also heard that our leadership has 200 labor hours to cut. How is it possible to over schedule by 200 hours?

OK....get this......so the labor hours were cut (I understand that the flow team was told that the truck didn't come in and that's why the shift was cancelled) so today (Saturday) they called flow TMs to see if they'll come in for Sunday morning to unload the truck.

I don't get it....they cancel a shift by lying to TMs and then they call those same TMs to come in on another day? How does that help with the labor hours.

I also heard that our leadership has 200 labor hours to cut. How is it possible to over schedule by 200 hours?

The reason is because last week (ending yesterday) was the last week of the month. To push a truck on Saturday, if you were (like most stores) over on payroll, you run the chance of being over for the month by quite a bit. By pushing the truck to Sunday, it's now a new month with new payroll. It seems like it doesn't make sense because we're cutting and adding, but there's a method to it.

As far as overscheduling, it all comes down to the flex hours. Sometimes leadership assumes they'll receive flex hours to make up for scheduling extra, but by either not making sales or using too many hours, those flex hours don't show up. So now you're over and have to get back under.

It's basically just extremely dumb.

Target's strategic plan for the past few years has been to cut hours to the bone to increase profit; all because corporate has no clue at all how to increase profit in any other way. Employees and employee benefits are all seen as 'costs' that must be 'reduced'. This is a general trend many companies have been doing. However, it is now getting to the point where it is unsustainable.

This company hemorrhages management and employees to the point where no long term thinking is possible. People just do what worked last month/year because it worked last month/year. There is no innovation. Every advancement that Target has done from 'in-store WiFi' to 'P-Fresh' to even little things like the 'target app' has all been reactionary based on what other companies have done. This company no longer provides anything unique. There is no unique distribution system like Amazon. The online website component is absolutely horrible. Company software in all aspects is poorly programmed, and generally out of date: (register software is terrible, pharmacy Rx software uses a program that hasn't seen a substantial update since 1999, PDAs are ancient and run windows CE for ****s sake, all HR computers are still running windows XP). And of course, since hours are now part of the slash cost paradigm, customer service is absolute ****e.

There's no where else to go but down at this point.

Target's strategic plan for the past few years has been to cut hours to the bone to increase profit; all because corporate has no clue at all how to increase profit in any other way. Employees and employee benefits are all seen as 'costs' that must be 'reduced'. This is a general trend many companies have been doing. However, it is now getting to the point where it is unsustainable.

This company hemorrhages management and employees to the point where no long term thinking is possible. People just do what worked last month/year because it worked last month/year. There is no innovation. Every advancement that Target has done from 'in-store WiFi' to 'P-Fresh' to even little things like the 'target app' has all been reactionary based on what other companies have done. This company no longer provides anything unique. There is no unique distribution system like Amazon. The online website component is absolutely horrible. Company software in all aspects is poorly programmed, and generally out of date: (register software is terrible, pharmacy Rx software uses a program that hasn't seen a substantial update since 1999, PDAs are ancient and run windows CE for ****s sake, all HR computers are still running windows XP). And of course, since hours are now part of the slash cost paradigm, customer service is absolute ****e.

Pretty much all of this. For how much they touted about being in competition with Amazon and the whole online thing, Targets Website is pretty crappy compared to pretty much any other place I shop online and I have not purchased one single thing from there.

Pretty much all of this. For how much they touted about being in competition with Amazon and the whole online thing, Targets Website is pretty crappy compared to pretty much any other place I shop online and I have not purchased one single thing from there.

Don't you get it? Target said it was going to compete with Amazon! So it must be true!

Don't you get it? Target said it was going to compete with Amazon! So it must be true!

BEST COMPANY EVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! :music2:

I'm setting a new record for number of workstations hustled for hrs in a week (5).

I'm setting a new record for number of workstations hustled for hrs in a week (5).
Nice! I'm at 3 and I'm a TL!!!
Lol, I ask to be scheduled in Presentation on heavy workload weeks because for unknown reasons HR has been (trying to) cut me 2-3 hours a week since January.

Our fresh-out-of-college ELT-HR noticed how stressed I've been lately (hustling hrs so I can feed my family).
Her advice? Cut back on my hrs & relax a little.
Sure. I'm just gonna go home & have a Calgon bath moment while I drink myself into a stupor.
Oops, forgot. Outta beer.

They did that to my store this past weekend told on Friday that Saturdays truck was cancelled and we "had" to come in Sunday for a truck well the whole team knew it was a lie and it wasnt technically cancelled but we weren't even allowed to finish Fridays truck either and also never finished Sundays or Mondays we currently have a trailer full of carts tubs and flats of 3 different trucks that still haven't been touched to push

On Saturday they wanted the sales floor team members to leave an hour before close. I told them I couldn't leave because frankly I need more than a 3 hour shift. They expected the zone to get done in 2 hours, that was a joke. It looked like sh!t when we left at 10. I don't know how they planned on running the store with no sales floor people out...

As far as overscheduling, it all comes down to the flex hours. Sometimes leadership assumes they'll receive flex hours to make up for scheduling extra, but by either not making sales or using too many hours, those flex hours don't show up. So now you're over and have to get back under.

It's basically just extremely dumb.

At many stores it is all about flex hours and whether or not you have an ETL-HR who understands the way they work. At my store we crush our sales goals daily (usually). It's not uncommon for us to be $30k to $40k over goal on a Friday or Saturday. This gives us a lot of flex hours, which during the first 2-3 weeks of the month they try not to use because they are sooo afraid sales may tank so bad that we'll lose many of the flex hours. And this is the really sad part... The response I got was "Yea honestly I'm not exactly sure how the whole banking flex hours thing works, and we have to make payroll." So come the last day or two when we have 500 flex hours we can use, maybe 30-40 are used because nobody wants to be called in on their day off, TM's have school, or feel like what the hell is four more hrs really gonna help me? So in my opinion yes the payroll hours given by corporate are way too low, but it is also poor management on the store level as well. At least at some stores..

Well my hours are going to be 40 every week now. TL is out for a while I guess, still not sure whats going on, but I know ill be getting alot of hours. Today was hell. Did opening pfresh, C+S and all the wine salesplans in 6 hours lmao. Horray 3 workcenters worked in one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back