Archived Layoffs at HQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target Corp. is laying off 475 employees at its corporate headquarters in downtown Minneapolis and not filling 700 open positions, the company said Wednesday.

She said laid off workers will be replaced by workers in India and contractors. The layoffs, she said, have been in the works for more than six months.

http://www.startribune.com/business/241503611.html

They are laying off a good portion of the Target Technology Services.
Which seems weird to me.

I guess this must be one of the departments they are going to replace with contractors but I don't see them doing any better a job.
If you train your people well, listen to their recommendations, and implement them properly I suspect you'll be better off with an inhouse team.

yhjcr.jpg

They are laying off a good portion of the Target Technology Services.
Which seems weird to me.

I guess this must be one of the departments they are going to replace with contractors but I don't see them doing any better a job.
If you train your people well, listen to their recommendations, and implement them properly I suspect you'll be better off with an inhouse team.

Not weird at all.... It is punishment for the security breach. A very authoritarian move designed to send a message.... "All of you are gone. Don't care who was specifically responsible. Goodbye". "Hey new people we just hired to replace them? Remember what happens to those who fail us...."

There is no way they have a new, outsourced company set up and ready to go within a month. This was some time in the making.

This makes me sad...first, I hate to see more outsourcing of jobs. Second, when my store was having problems with the mini iPad, it took about a week to get it straightened out, but when the call was elevated beyond the person answering the phones (sometimes two levels higher), it was nice to talk to someone I could not only understand, but understood the problem I was having and could help me troubleshoot without reading from a script. I hate to think that will be gone.

There is no way they have a new, outsourced company set up and ready to go within a month. This was some time in the making.

This makes me sad...first, I hate to see more outsourcing of jobs. Second, when my store was having problems with the mini iPad, it took about a week to get it straightened out, but when the call was elevated beyond the person answering the phones (sometimes two levels higher), it was nice to talk to someone I could not only understand, but understood the problem I was having and could help me troubleshoot without reading from a script. I hate to think that will be gone.

They already have a new, outsourced company setup! You are forgetting about Target India. (which is basically the vast majority of the IT staff for Target)

The work of those IT people they just termed here in the USA will be delegated to India for the time being, I am sure.

Also, I am sure they made a good number of "example" firings at Target India as well....

Then why wouldn't they present it that way? It sounds a lot better to say, "we cleaned house after the breach and got rid of the people who missed this" than to say, "we decided to save some money and ship some more jobs overseas to screw over more Americans."

Showing that someone (besides those of us at store level) is paying for this fiasco wouldn't hurt Spot at all. Of course the ones who need to do the right thing (like those at the Korean bank earlier this week), won't.

Is it just me or whenever Big Bob got booted from being Chairman and Gregg took over, it seems all the Gregg's ideas just snowballed into disaster. Got to be trendy and hip, build into Canada, or 3rd party/ship services out of the country.

During the Bob Ulrich's days, Target focused on guest service and people flocked to Target.

IMO, there needs to be some change on the Board.

Last edited:
Taking care of guests & growing a strong company are long-term gains; the board is focusing on short-term gains.
I remember getting a proxie ballot prior to a shareholder's meeting during the time Target was concerned about Wm Ackman, an "activist" shareholder who didn't care about the company's workers - just how quick & how high the profit margin was.
Looks like Gregg was in on it the entire time.

Last edited:
She said laid off workers will be replaced by workers in India and contractors. The layoffs, she said, have been in the works for more than six months.

This is normal for any company that wishes to gain more profits. It's much more profitable to use much more exploitable workers. Heck if Target could. Target would love to replace every register with a self checkout. This is normal under capitalist system.

Stuff like cutting jobs for more exploitable jobs, seeing short term gains, and just viewing workers as just cogs shows how capitalism has failed. The only way to solve these issues is to remove the bosses and let the workers take control. Target will run much smoother and better if Target is run like a workplace democracy.

Time for all tms everywhere to start buying up Target stock!

Worker stock opens doesn't mean workers will have control of the company. Owners will fight to prevent that from happening. Also all the Target workers in the company simply don't have the capital to take over a super majority of shares. A revolutionary take over is what needed.

Internship coordinator for my district called yesterday clarifying this announcement to me, he said that for this summer interns are not affected. Does that mean next year they will be? I understand most interns aren't the smartest but a few really provide the company with innovative, young leaders.

Internship coordinator for my district called yesterday clarifying this announcement to me, he said that for this summer interns are not affected. Does that mean next year they will be? I understand most interns aren't the smartest but a few really provide the company with innovative, young leaders.

That is because interns work for free.

It's not just HQ techs, the techs at the DC's got laid off too (but they are technically HQ employees, just work at the DC's). They also closed(closing?) a FoodDC in phoenix, however, Target didn't own that DC (leased) and they finished or are almost finished with their new highly automated FDC in Texas and there is a new one in Cally also, so it was clear this was planned. Still sucks to hear about people losing their jobs. They said they where going to try and move most of those guys from the FDC though. Im sure they will move a lot of them to the DC there and or the stores if need be (cant see how with the new temp strategy).

Also.. sold all my target stock at the end of Dec :D
Hellooo buy back time!

That is because interns work for free.

Interns get paid, and paid pretty well. They get more than TL's, 4 dollars more in my district.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back