Leadership Pet Peeves

What are some of your guys's pet peeves when it comes to management/hr? I'll throw some of mine out there. It will probably come off as some sort of incoherent rambling, but oh well. I'm not going to throwing all of management under the bus either, but mostly. There has been a few decent managers of all levels throughout the years, and like anything else if you're good and you actually care about your "job", not the office politics! And also care about your employee's, the office clique tends to throw you in the grinder.

But, with my 10 plus years of experience I've noticed certain habitual habits that management has.
#1. Being an actual, physical obstacle in your way while you're working.

Number one encompasses a lot of things, but here's a few examples. A group of leads just talking in front of the main stockroom doors, basically halting people coming in and out with freight or whatever need be. Burning a heavy pallet of water or whatever it is, once again leads standing in a circle just talking in the middle of an aisle or stock room. Leads doing their loop around the store in a V pattern blocking guests and employees from doing what they need to do.

It has always astonished me the complete situational and spatial awareness that most leaders have. That they will not move or think that the spot that they just decided to have little pow wow in, isn't exactly the best spot to do so. Early morning, we're unloading a truck, stalking, and bringing stuff in and out of the stockroom constantly. Then a bunch of leads will just stand in front of the stockroom doors acting completely pissed off that people are interrupting their very important conversation.

#2. Acting mad when a leader a "key carrier" is mad that they have to open up the equipment box/room or cash office.

My favorite thing is when I was working electronics, I would need the electronics key/magnet to basically open up almost everything and also spider wrap, and put cases on stuff, which was almost my entire workload. The leaders would be constantly annoyed by me for just asking them to get the keys for me, so I could do my job! They would tell me that." I was just up front I'll get it later. You can just double back and do the lock up stuff later". I can't tell you how annoying that is.
Or hearing every morning at the same time, everyday, that someone is wanting to get into the cash office. Because the store is about to open, and hearing the leaders in anguish, that they have to go over there and let someone in.

Or in the early morning before the store opens, being all pissy letting employees in. They know what time people are coming in, and most time they come in a big group, letting them wait out there for 10 or 15 minutes, just because they don't want to get up and open the door two times instead of once.

#3. Leader groupies.
Basically a leader will have a small very obvious suck up group of team members that just fellatio their ego. These team members do absolutely no work and just basically hang out with management. And HR basically just turns a blind eye to it.

#4. Leaders and HR delegating team member concerns and disputes to sort out amongst each other. Pretty self-explanatory here but I'll throw an example out there. A fellow team member was stalking in my area because we had a huddle, and refuse to take the plastic and styrofoam off the product while they were putting it on the shelf. Also was overstocking the shelf to a point where the shelf was unattaching itself from the fixture. I just got done fixing an end cap that this individual destroyed. So I went over there and kindly corrected them, and told them to please take the plastic and stare from off the product and please don't overstock. The reaction from this team member was to slap some of the product off the shelf and step up in my face and raise a hand at me. I stood my ground and remained cool and the situation diffused itself. But afterwards I told leadership about the incident and they just said "well maybe you should just talk to them and explain to them how to properly stock a area. It would mean so much more coming from a fellow team member than it would from upper management or HR." WHAT!? Responses like that have been going on for quite some time. Even from different regimes, so it's just not isolated to one individual.

#5.HR
I feel like a lot of problems have been exacerbated since modernization. But I think seriously, HR has been some of the worst since the new protocol. I even wonder why half the time that they're even there? Because whenever you do have a question, they basically just hand you a card with some phone numbers on it, and you have to do all the leg work. We seriously should just have a vending machine that dispenses those at this point. They're basically just a zealot for any new buzz words that Target throws down the pipeline at this point.

I have tons and tons of other little nitpicks that I could go on and on about. Maybe I will later. What do you guys have?

I like when certain leaders try to help with, say, freight, and then leave it half finished and tell a TM to clean up after them. We constantly have the style leaders over Home and Seasonal start working freight and then leave trash all over the place and the half-finished vehicles in random places, with a passing "can you finish those last couple boxes?" to their TMs.

My store's leadership team is actually pretty good. But we used to have one who fit the OP's category #3 really well. He played favorites and the favorites could get away with all kinds of crap. So glad he's not at my store anymore.
We've had a couple of micro-manager types who drove me up a wall. I know how to do my job so just leave me alone and let me do it. No need to hover and nitpick.
BTW, #4 threatening a fellow TM? No way should that ever, ever happen.

#2. Acting mad when a leader a "key carrier" is mad that they have to open up the equipment box/room or cash office.
Every time I need to be let into cash office, it’s literally a power struggle to see who will finally give in and let me in. My best bet is finding someone in the area and directly walking up to them to ask. I had our Style ETL ten feet away from me tell me I need to call over the walkie because she was too busy to let me in… to literally turn a key and few times a punch in the safe code.

One time my old ETL told me I was inconveniencing the entire store by needing to go in (she forgot to schedule someone) because she was down in TSC eating lunch with the other ETLs and they had to stop their “important” conversation. It’s the only complaint I have about doing cash office.

Last edited:
Every time I need to be let into cash office, it’s literally a power struggle to see who will finally give in and let me in. My best bet is finding someone in the area and directly walking up to them to ask. I had our Style ETL ten feet away from me tell me I need to call over the walkie because she was too busy to let me in… to literally turn a key and few times a punch in the safe code.

One time my old ETL told me I was inconveniencing the entire store by needing to go in (she forgot to schedule someone) because she was down in TSC eating lunch with the other ETLs and they had to stop their “important” conversation. It’s the only complaint I have about doing cash office.
This is just crazy to me . Being the overnight etl i always get cash office / and the front doors . I also go to the door so my tls wouldn’t have too . And give the setl all the keys needed . Including for target movile / optical and tech .

Okay, I got another one. I don't know why I didn't think of this before? A team lead or ETL whoever, will do a process in the most optimal circumstances, with the most help needed that is never actually given in any real circumstance. We've been having one person throw a truck lately for the past couple years with modernization, they think that's better. The trucks have been consistently around 2500-2300.

So....we get a random truck that's 1500. Okay, so 2 ETL, and 3 team leads are in the truck unloading and pushing boxes on the line and pulling pallets out. When they normally expect only one guy to do that. They also stacked the grid so we had about double the amount of people on the on the line that day. Then they come out of the truck and say that's how fast it should be done everyday no exceptions. REAL!!

Here's another good one, our store director likes to show us how it's done. He loads up a U-boat with big paper boxes which you can only fit three or four on a vehicle, and quickly stocks that. And claims that's how long it should take you to stock any U-Boat regardless what's on it! Got to love it.

When leadership tells and gives recognition to the crappiest tm's. Tells them what a great job they're doing as you spend 2 hrs the next day having to fix everything they have f'ed up.
Omg right? You hear the TM announce on the walkie that they are leaving and leadership thanks them - for what?

I like when certain leaders try to help with, say, freight, and then leave it half finished and tell a TM to clean up after them. We constantly have the style leaders over Home and Seasonal start working freight and then leave trash all over the place and the half-finished vehicles in random places, with a passing "can you finish those last couple boxes?" to their TMs.
At least they mention it to someone. I've had leaders just walk away and leave their mess without a word and never get back to it.

Okay, I got another one. I don't know why I didn't think of this before? A team lead or ETL whoever, will do a process in the most optimal circumstances, with the most help needed that is never actually given in any real circumstance. We've been having one person throw a truck lately for the past couple years with modernization, they think that's better. The trucks have been consistently around 2500-2300.

So....we get a random truck that's 1500. Okay, so 2 ETL, and 3 team leads are in the truck unloading and pushing boxes on the line and pulling pallets out. When they normally expect only one guy to do that. They also stacked the grid so we had about double the amount of people on the on the line that day. Then they come out of the truck and say that's how fast it should be done everyday no exceptions. REAL!!

Here's another good one, our store director likes to show us how it's done. He loads up a U-boat with big paper boxes which you can only fit three or four on a vehicle, and quickly stocks that. And claims that's how long it should take you to stock any U-Boat regardless what's on it! Got to love it.
😂

What are some of your guys's pet peeves when it comes to management/hr? I'll throw some of mine out there. It will probably come off as some sort of incoherent rambling, but oh well. I'm not going to throwing all of management under the bus either, but mostly. There has been a few decent managers of all levels throughout the years, and like anything else if you're good and you actually care about your "job", not the office politics! And also care about your employee's, the office clique tends to throw you in the grinder.

But, with my 10 plus years of experience I've noticed certain habitual habits that management has.
#1. Being an actual, physical obstacle in your way while you're working.

Number one encompasses a lot of things, but here's a few examples. A group of leads just talking in front of the main stockroom doors, basically halting people coming in and out with freight or whatever need be. Burning a heavy pallet of water or whatever it is, once again leads standing in a circle just talking in the middle of an aisle or stock room. Leads doing their loop around the store in a V pattern blocking guests and employees from doing what they need to do.

It has always astonished me the complete situational and spatial awareness that most leaders have. That they will not move or think that the spot that they just decided to have little pow wow in, isn't exactly the best spot to do so. Early morning, we're unloading a truck, stalking, and bringing stuff in and out of the stockroom constantly. Then a bunch of leads will just stand in front of the stockroom doors acting completely pissed off that people are interrupting their very important conversation.

My favorite thing is when I was working electronics, I would need the electronics key/magnet to basically open up almost everything and also spider wrap, and put cases on stuff, which was almost my entire workload. The leaders would be constantly annoyed by me for just asking them to get the keys for me, so I could do my job! They would tell me that." I was just up front I'll get it later. You can just double back and do the lock up stuff later". I can't tell you how annoying that is.
Or hearing every morning at the same time, everyday, that someone is wanting to get into the cash office. Because the store is about to open, and hearing the leaders in anguish, that they have to go over there and let someone in.

Or in the early morning before the store opens, being all pissy letting employees in. They know what time people are coming in, and most time they come in a big group, letting them wait out there for 10 or 15 minutes, just because they don't want to get up and open the door two times instead of once.

#3. Leader groupies.
Basically a leader will have a small very obvious suck up group of team members that just fellatio their ego. These team members do absolutely no work and just basically hang out with management. And HR basically just turns a blind eye to it.

#4. Leaders and HR delegating team member concerns and disputes to sort out amongst each other. Pretty self-explanatory here but I'll throw an example out there. A fellow team member was stalking in my area because we had a huddle, and refuse to take the plastic and styrofoam off the product while they were putting it on the shelf. Also was overstocking the shelf to a point where the shelf was unattaching itself from the fixture. I just got done fixing an end cap that this individual destroyed. So I went over there and kindly corrected them, and told them to please take the plastic and stare from off the product and please don't overstock. The reaction from this team member was to slap some of the product off the shelf and step up in my face and raise a hand at me. I stood my ground and remained cool and the situation diffused itself. But afterwards I told leadership about the incident and they just said "well maybe you should just talk to them and explain to them how to properly stock a area. It would mean so much more coming from a fellow team member than it would from upper management or HR." WHAT!? Responses like that have been going on for quite some time. Even from different regimes, so it's just not isolated to one individual.

#5.HR
I feel like a lot of problems have been exacerbated since modernization. But I think seriously, HR has been some of the worst since the new protocol. I even wonder why half the time that they're even there? Because whenever you do have a question, they basically just hand you a card with some phone numbers on it, and you have to do all the leg work. We seriously should just have a vending machine that dispenses those at this point. They're basically just a zealot for any new buzz words that Target throws down the pipeline at this point.

I have tons and tons of other little nitpicks that I could go on and on about. Maybe I will later. What do you guys have?
#3 spot on. I also can’t understand the suck ups that suck up to the suck ups lol…yes that’s actually a thing

I was once told that a pallet of miniseasonal candy should take as long as a paper PIPO.

Micromanaging ETLs who interrupt about every little nit-picky thing so often that it seriously slows everything down, and then keep asking “When are you going to be done?” Had to bite my tongue to keep from saying “Depends how many more times I’m going to have to stop to explain things to you.”
Leaders who hire superheros for their department and the walking dead for everyone else’s.
And my particular favorite, ETLs who change the schedule without telling anyone, including the person whose schedule was changed, or ETLs who call someone in on a Tuesday to clean for a visit and give them Thursday off without telling the TL that they will be short one person on Thursday that they were counting on being there. And when Thursday’s workload isn’t completed, guess who gets blamed? Not the ETL, that’s for sure!🙄

I have the same issue every damn day. Finally, they gave my setl access, but before that it was at the pulling teeth.

I think someone else has already kind of mentioned this? But when multiple team leads are working on one vehicle, and it's an easy one too. It will still take them three times longer than what it should have. They'll leave trash all over the place, improperly stock product and then they'll want everyone to pat them on the back for how good they did.

The inability to admit when they're wrong in my store. One of my leaders would even argue about how much truck got done despite being able to physically count how many vehicles were left in the backroom. They always have to be right about everything whether they are or not.

I think someone else has already kind of mentioned this? But when multiple team leads are working on one vehicle, and it's an easy one too. It will still take them three times longer than what it should have. They'll leave trash all over the place, improperly stock product and then they'll want everyone to pat them on the back for how good they did.
At my store it’s the ETLs who do more chatting over that vehicle than working on it, then pat each other on the back about how wonderful they are at their morning “meeting”(😂) at Starbucks.
Note to the ETLs (except for our first one who was long gone by that time): Please don’t “help” me or my team if all you are going to do is the easiest possible job and make a mess doing it. We don’t have time to complete our own workload, much less re-do what you did wrong and clean up after you. 🙄

A team lead or ETL whoever, will do a process in the most optimal circumstances
This! Again, these are an ETL and a TL who are no longer at my store. "Mind if I show you best practice on how to stock from [OTC] repacks?" the ETL said one day. Sure, dude, show me how it's done and let's see if you can do it faster. Yeah, not exactly a huge success! Go away.
TL would sometimes come and "help" push the truck but funny enough, he always stocked from case packs with pick labels, never from the repacks. Gee thanks for helping out so much! Thanks also for griping how long it takes to do those repacks. Idiot, like you'd even know how to do one yourself.
So glad they're both at other stores now, although I do sort of feel sorry for the TMs at those stores.

I remember the time my SD decided to help with pricing in mini seasonal after Halloween. He came up to me and asked why special handling stickers were printing when he scanned certain items. Mind you he was done with the pricing at this point. I told him it was something that lit up. He threw them all on top of everything in the Gaylord. I have no idea what the dc thought about that!

Okay, I thought of another one. This one is pretty scummy. This one kind of involves Target as a company as a whole, but leadership and HR don't really help in this matter. I've witnessed throughout the years where they basically bully our challenged fellow team members to have breakdowns or quit/get fired. It's pretty sick!

This is one example, but I've witnessed this kind of stuff countless times, and HR is always right in on it. This is back when we were overnight. We had a team member who was challenged, who did a good job when you had him focus on one thing. He helped with the unload, organized pallets, pulled pallets, bowling them out, he did what was needed of him. After unload, he usually would help stock in an area that we started in that night, then he would be on cardboard duty for rest the night. That's back when we had cardboard cages if anyone remembers, or if anyone still uses them? Back in the day with how many people we had stocking, it was something you had to kind of keep up on almost right away.

otherwise you would get way behind on it. Each day they would get him on cardboard duty later and later every day. It would be at a point of some days when every cage would be completely full, and he would have to make a bale right away on top of that. No joke, as soon as they would send him back on cardboard duty, 10 minutes later they will pull him back out to the floor to stock some god-off aisle that would have taken anyone awhile to do.

And the whole time he was in that aisle stocking, leadership would be yelling at him that he's so far behind on cardboard and he needs to get that done! Then they would bounce him between a bunch of different processes. Making him stock him in some random aisle, pulling him out halfway of that to only hop in another, then all of a sudden throwing him to plano. And still yelling at him that cardboard is behind the whole time, and never letting him do it! This went on for about 2 months.

And yes people did go to HR and also did call the hotline, it only seemed to ramp things up even worse. When fellow team members noticed that there was retaliation, still nothing happened. Let's just say this team member was pretty shook up by everything. I think any team member would have been. But it was just amplified with this team members condition. He still persevered through it though, until they made him forget the keys in the baler, and then that's when they let him go.

We had a guy like that. He went on medical leave (he was pretty old), didn't come back, and they never replaced him. Then we went into modernization and never had another cardboard person. Everyone does their own cardboard, and it's PART OF YOUR TIME that's labeled on the Uboat.

I like how, when my team takes too long setting POGs, I get told that it should have taken them the hours it said on the Adjacency Calendar to do it. But when they take the amount of time it said on the Adjacency Calendar or less, then I get told it should have taken them less time and that the hours on the Adjacency Calendar are too long for how long it "should have taken". 🥴 :rolleyes:

I like how, when my team takes too long setting POGs, I get told that it should have taken them the hours it said on the Adjacency Calendar to do it. But when they take the amount of time it said on the Adjacency Calendar or less, then I get told it should have taken them less time and that the hours on the Adjacency Calendar are too long for how long it "should have taken". 🥴 :rolleyes:

Just remember, no matter what you do, it's wrong!

I've learned that myself. I stopped trying so hard and breaking my neck. Why should I when it will never be enough?

Back