Leadership Pet Peeves

We had a guy like that. He went on medical leave (he was pretty old), didn't come back, and they never replaced him. Then we went into modernization and never had another cardboard person. Everyone does their own cardboard, and it's PART OF YOUR TIME that's labeled on the Uboat.
That's nuts. Goal times only take into account stocking time, not trash, not backstock time. Our leaders explicitly covered that when people first start and explain goal times.

That's nuts. Goal times only take into account stocking time, not trash, not backstock time. Our leaders explicitly covered that when people first start and explain goal times.
They tell us that the time includes not only trash but also backstock. I couldn't keep up so they put me on the front end.

1) the coffee- i don't care who you are or how high you are, if you are standing around drinking coffee while I'm sweating that is a slap in the face.
2) laziness- if I call you on the walkie to come help me with something and you immediately tell me to go to a different channel every time you are lazy and are looking for a way out of work. I don't call unless I actually have a valid issue.
3) vendor- our store currently doesn't have a receiver so all leaders have been called on to check vendors in but our GM ETL refuses and will call someone else to do it even if he is standing right there.
4) Cell Phones- All the leaders are constantly on their phones and some team members have followed suit including one on unload. How can you unload boxes if you're on your phone.
5) Buddy system- if Ican push all of pets, chem, and paper by myself why can't you push one U-boat of freight without your fellow leader chatting the whole time?

Last edited:
We had a team member who was challenged, who did a good job when you had him focus on one thing.
The situation you describe is awful and I wonder, if it was a diagnosed disorder of some kind, if the TM could have filed a formal complaint with your state's labor bureau for discrimination. Especially since it sounds like they would have had at least some back-up from other TMs about how they were treated and the retaliation.
I hope that TM landed in a better work environment where they're more appreciated.
And yes, I remember - and miss - those cages for cardboard.

I have ADHD and it's become utter heck lately. They want everyone to do everything but they keep pulling you from one thing to another within 10 minutes. It's been ramped up since the beginning-of-year hours cuts. Don't you DARE ever be idle, even for ONE SECOND!

I'm almost tempted to go into food service just so I can KNOW what my day is going to look like. Yeah, I know, get accommodations, but that's not going to happen here. I'm already on final, head of HR is useless and just parrots "call the online number", and I just want out.

Just remember, no matter what you do, it's wrong!

I've learned that myself. I stopped trying so hard and breaking my neck. Why should I when it will never be enough?
This, but more along the lines of "no matter how much you do, it's not enough."
Used to have a regular helper in my area for pushing truck. That TM left quite a while ago and I've been doing all of the truck push on my own, mostly, with the occasional help from a random TM who doesn't know the area. Some days, I don't even get back stock done, much less zoning, price change, etc. I try not to grouch about the help I do get, but overstocked pegs and back stock placed in weird places make me a less than completely grateful.
I'm so tired of trying so hard to get so much done and it's never enough. I've spoken up to leadership about it but the hours just aren't available. (But they were before that TM quit - ??) They make noises like they're trying, but so far it's no more than lip service.
So lately I've taken to telling myself I just can't care about it so much. Don't like having that attitude, but it's my best coping mechanism at this point.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to add an ETL at my old store who really developed a mean attitude and was only nice to his favorites. I know that I should get over it but it still annoys me that he was so friendly to other leaders/favorites but had such an attitude with some team members.

I visited my old store last week and I shouldn't have been surprised that he was still working there. Fortunately, he didn't see me but I wouldn't have felt comfortable asking him for anything since my store got a re-model and looks different.

I think someone else has already kind of mentioned this? But when multiple team leads are working on one vehicle, and it's an easy one too. It will still take them three times longer than what it should have. They'll leave trash all over the place, improperly stock product and then they'll want everyone to pat them on the back for how good they did.
And they don't stop talking

1) the coffee- i don't care who you are or how high you are, if you are standing around drinking coffee while I'm sweating that is a slap in the face.
2) laziness- if I call you on the walkie to come help me with something and you immediately tell me to go to a different channel every time you are lazy and are looking for a way out of work. I don't call unless I actually have a valid issue.
3) vendor- our store currently doesn't have a receiver so all leaders have been called on to check vendors in but our GM ETL refuses and will call someone else to do it even if he is standing right there.
4) Cell Phones- All the leaders are constantly on their phones and some team members have followed suit including one on unload. How can you unload boxes if you're on your phone.
5) Buddy system- if Ican push all of pets, chem, and paper by myself why can't you push one U-boat of freight without your fellow leader chatting the whole time?
I think we work at the same store...

Man, I would hate to work in some of y'alls stores. Ours is great, top to bottom. Maybe because we do a lot of internal promotions?
I wonder tho our store has lots of hook ups, dating who's ever sibling... you'd think they'd help each other but they just stand around and talk while front end is buried in call outs and angry guests and then they also ignore walkie calls AND don't finish they're push. Always on breaks. But then leaders take breaks together when they re the only leadership...so, they re leading.

Back