1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving on time or on your scheduled time

Discussion in 'Leadership' started by Him, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Doglover89

Doglover89 Team Trainer

I don't think they'd fire me, but I need to keep on leadership's good side so I continue to get 35+ hours while some coworkers are less than 20. But yeah, I guess I'll just leave next time.

2. tgtguy

tgtguy Team Leader

During this time of the year I rarely leave on time . I am always on the move and working so they never say anything . Jan-Oct. I usually try to leave on time unless I am in the middle of doing something and or an etl or tl ( which usually happens on truck days) asks me to stay . No one should be made to feel like they have to stay. However, if you are never willing to stay and others are...most of the time the tl will stop asking those that wont stay and stick with those he /she know will.

3. Pelon1071

Pelon1071     Layaway!

I, for the most part, leave on time, usually because they send someone to swap with me when it's about 1 or 2 minutes to leave. When I do Self-Checkout, and I have to close, they let me stay until I can get them all closed.

One time, I accidentally overstayed my time and my GSTL gave me a verbal warning to, "Not do it again." it was only like 15 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  4. jamitchell1985

jamitchell1985 New Team Member

Then sit down with your store's leadership.

Explain the situation. Explain that you are a student and that must be a priority and that you need the hours to pay for school.

Make it clear that you will give 100% when you are scheduled but when your shift is over, you need to leave to get to class or to study or to do whatever for school.

It might help to brag about your GPA at the end of each semester. It will show that you are putting in the hours to get good grade at school.

As a grad student, you must believe that your future and future employment will be based on your graduate degree and not on Target.

Pelon1071 likes this.
  5. Doglover89

Doglover89 Team Trainer

Yes, I do believe that. My ETL and most other leaders are aware that I am a student, but they just throw out Target-speak like "needs of the business" and "flexibility." if I speak up, they see me as a complainer. Its like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Hardlinesmaster and PassinTime like this.
  6. signingminion

signingminion WAVing in the air like I just don't care

Is your store making sales? Staying late adds payroll...unless you are making sales and have flex hours you are hurting that metric by staying late...

Hardlinesmaster and HRZone like this.
  7. Doglover89

Doglover89 Team Trainer

Many folks wind up staying late at my store: market, pricing, presentation, SFS, backroom... It's just what happens. Leadership, including my STL, knows we're staying. I'm guessing it doesn't hurt the metric. I go into overtime often. It's only Monday and I know I'm getting some this week.

Hardlinesmaster likes this.
  8. signingminion

signingminion WAVing in the air like I just don't care

If you want/need to leave on time you need to use your own target speak. Sales vs hours is the easiest.

Hardlinesmaster and PassinTime like this.
  9. defang

defang Self Checkout's Worst Nightmare

I generally stay up to half an hour late most days just to get stuff done. Of course I normally end up cutting it out of my schedule at the end of the week but I usually don't mind.

10. phibot

phibot The Lord of the Things

It all boils down to communication. Sometimes you simply need to stay a little later than scheduled. It's unavoidable.

That said, if you're getting paid past your scheduled hours, I feel it's best that someone above you knows that you're staying, why you're staying, and what you are doing to minimize the extra payroll that you're using.

Example, this week POG team got hit really, really hard in my store (and I imagine every store). I ended up staying an extra 20 minutes or so to clean up. My ETL saw that the cart I was using was a mess. Lots of plastic wrap, old labels, cardboard scraps, reshop items, the works. Usually I'm a bit neater, but we both recognized that this week speed > cleanliness. If a messy cart and 20 more minutes is the price we have to pay to set 300 hours of POGs, but the POGS get finished, it's worth it.

Yetive and Hardlinesmaster like this.
  11. Noiinteam

Noiinteam Team Leader

You do what my pog team does. Leaves everything, tubs with push and cages full right where they were working. Yet flow gets shit on if we leave a scrap of paper on the floor. Good for you for cleaning up!