Leaving Target, Should I request for my vacation before putting in my two weeks so I don’t lose it?

I’m leaving for another retail company soon, and I was wondering if we lose our accrued vacation when we leave? I have 19hrs of vacation and 5 hours of personal holiday.
Is it wise to go ahead and put in for it now? Could I call in one day next week and have that count towards my vacation?

ALWAYS use personal time and wellness first. ALWAYS. Some states payout vacation time earned no matter what. If you job abandon or walk out that money is yours and you will get a check. Some states are “so sad too bad” and you forfeit what you earned. Find out which state you are in before you proceed...

Yep, around here it’s definitely use it or lose it. My advice would be use it all before you put in your notice, then work out your two weeks and ease on down the road. Leaving a job for a better one is not being a quitter, it’s improving your situation. Good luck!

Don’t use your vacation time ! Target will pay you once you resign vacation and personal holiday hours. You should try to use all your sick pay though or else you will loose that

Unless there’s been a recent change, paid out vacation is taxed at a higher rate than vacation that you actually take.

Wow when did they stop laying out vacation? I’ve worked here over a decade and they always have. I’ve never even seen that graphic posted above.

The policy to eliminate cash-out of accrued vacation occurred about three years ago. Many companies have made this change due to SEC regulations, since unpaid vacation accruals now have to be reported on a company's financial disclosures to investors. By eliminating the cash-out value of unused vacation pay, multiplied by the vast number of employees, Target improved its corporate financial statements substantially.

BTW, I think Target's official statement that accrued vacation and personal holidays are "a gratuity or gift offered by Target" is kinda rich. In the real world which most people and businesses live in, this is part of the compensation package along with health benefits (IF ANY), paid holidays (IF ANY), and other employee benefits. I understand the business aspect of removing liabilities from the books, but this is not a change which benefits Target employees. I think this is part of how Target "pays for" the across-the-board wage increases to reach $15/hour.

BTW, I think Target's official statement that accrued vacation and personal holidays are "a gratuity or gift offered by Target" is kinda rich. In the real world which most people and businesses live in, this is part of the compensation package along with health benefits (IF ANY), paid holidays (IF ANY), and other employee benefits.
This. Pay and benefits used to have a "total compensation" graphic, which included vacation time and has now disappeared. How is this a gift when they can deny you using it any time they feel like it? Most gifts I get are mine and can be used when and how I like without getting permission from the giver.

Back