Archived Lego Barcode Scammer Busted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what his excuse is going to be?
Drugs, gambling, a mistress, heck a secret second family?
When someone well to do and in a good position pulls something like this there is always a cute excuse.

So an Exec is dumb enough to use his own debit card

Ha.

If I were at an executive pay rate I probably wouldn't resort to this but hey I'd at least think to use cash.

This is JUST like the guy busted a few yrs back (link is on the old forum) who printed up bogus barcodes for small lego sets on stickers. He'd load up a cart load of one type, head for a noob cashier, hand them the one on top (with the bogus barcard) to scan & show them the qty.
The difference was that he was hitting Target, Walmart, Toys-r-Us, etc but he was busted (actually tackled by several big burly TMs as he tried to ram them with a cart) at Target. They found stacks of high-dollar Lego sets in his van. On-line Lego collectors were 'shocked' because he was well-known for being able to get the hard-to-find & limited qty.

This is JUST like the guy busted a few yrs back (link is on the old forum) who printed up bogus barcodes for small lego sets on stickers. He'd load up a cart load of one type, head for a noob cashier, hand them the one on top (with the bogus barcard) to scan & show them the qty.
The difference was that he was hitting Target, Walmart, Toys-r-Us, etc but he was busted (actually tackled by several big burly TMs as he tried to ram them with a cart) at Target. They found stacks of high-dollar Lego sets in his van. On-line Lego collectors were 'shocked' because he was well-known for being able to get the hard-to-find & limited qty.

I like that term noob cashier lol.

Here is one from 2009:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29272

At my store, we have plenty of guests who switch clearance stickers, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

At my store, we have plenty of guests who switch clearance stickers, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

We had this one guy who switched a barcode from a Dyson accessory to a vacuum. He didn't get away with it though, the cashier thought the price seemed to cheap :nah:

I had something like this happen a couple weeks ago. A guest brought up a bunch of items like paper towels, decor, and all sorts of domestics items. Turns out, they peeled off travel sized barcords and covered the real barcodes with them. Luckily I noticed and it was dealt with accordingly.

I have guests take the barcodes off the apothecary bottles from the travel aisle and put them over the barcodes on other much more expensive items every now and then.

I have guests take the barcodes off the apothecary bottles from the travel aisle and put them over the barcodes on other much more expensive items every now and then.

I had a guest do that with a LeapPad once. She set herself up by asking if it was on sale.

We've been having problems with liquor ticket switching recently. Most of it has been prevented, but we get flooded with these people probably 4 out of the 7 days in a week.

Liquor ticket? Are the descriptions really so vague to think they can get away with that?

ie. Let's assume you don't know Smirnoff is $15 and Grey Goose is $35, I'd still expect the cashier to spot that the Grey Goose bottle shouldn't show up as "Smirnoff" on the register.

Only way I see this being an issue is if the description of the item on the register is "Liquor" and the person has no idea what liquor is top shelf.

Must say, shit like this is what concerns me most about SCO. A good cashier will notice that that electronics item shouldn't be $1.49, but they'd probably get through unnoticed if they went to SCO and someone wasn't watching them like a hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back