Archived Let’s discuss why so many people quit Target...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store doesn’t have a big turnover. We have several TMs that have been with Target for 6+ years. Good enough to keep but not good enough to promote. In 12 months we’ve lost maybe 10 people. And 2 of those were transfers cause they moved.

I doubt you only lost ten people in the whole store. Even Targets goal for a low volume store is 36 in a year.

Oh I have an opinion on this!
Team members who are not properly trained will not stay. Can anyone honestly say that spot trains their team?If you don't feel like you know what you are doing, you will leave, period.
Too many bosses. Think about a single day for a team member, Answer the call box, back up the lanes, work the pull, why isn't the zone done. One person will get direction from and ETL multiple TLs and other team members all for the same time period.
No loyalty on either end. Spot doesn't give one shit about team members, they are replaceable and many "leaders" tell them that. Workers don't give one shit about Spot, retail jobs are the same with different frosting.
What is promised in the interview is very rarely true. Work with your schedule? Sure! Opportunity for advancement? Of course! You won't have to work every weekend. Ha Ha Ha. We will work around your school schedule
Unrealistic workload. Sorry the other 2 people on the sales floor called out, you will have to do it.
Lack of recognition or respect. I am not talking gifts or food. I mean an honest Thank you for doing xyz. Not some stupid card on a board, which is really just something for district leaders to beat off to. If you are not shown respect or your leaders don't recognize the contribution you make, why do it? When there is a visit leaders who take all of the credit instead of saying "This is sally sue and she is the one who designed that great display" Give your team the credit and they will work hard for you.

Team members who are not properly trained will not stay. Can anyone honestly say that spot trains their team?If you don't feel like you know what you are doing, you will leave, period.
Too many bosses. Think about a single day for a team member, Answer the call box, back up the lanes, work the pull, why isn't the zone done. One person will get direction from and ETL multiple TLs and other team members all for the same time period.
No loyalty on either end. Spot doesn't give one shit about team members, they are replaceable and many "leaders" tell them that. Workers don't give one shit about Spot, retail jobs are the same with different frosting.
What is promised in the interview is very rarely true. Work with your schedule? Sure! Opportunity for advancement? Of course! You won't have to work every weekend. Ha Ha Ha. We will work around your school schedule
Unrealistic workload. Sorry the other 2 people on the sales floor called out, you will have to do it.
Lack of recognition or respect. I am not talking gifts or food. I mean an honest Thank you for doing xyz. Not some stupid card on a board, which is really just something for district leaders to beat off to. If you are not shown respect or your leaders don't recognize the contribution you make, why do it? When there is a visit leaders who take all of the credit instead of saying "This is sally sue and she is the one who designed that great display" Give your team the credit and they will work hard for you.

Best line in a loooooooong time .... beat off to. Love it. Thanks the smile!

I was told on a few occasions we are not allowed to fire anymore people. Didn't matter how shitty they were because we had too much turn over and said it looks bad to corporate.

And that's why people have been at my store 10+ years and still don't stock the shelves right. Love cleaning up after them. Love it.

Do you work at my store? This is so on point it's scary.

This is a big reason people leave. Back in the day I worked for another retail chain where the only ones who could tell you what to do were your department manager and senior store leaders. Managers from other departments couldn’t tell you what to do or move you around the store. You only worked in your department, which was fully staffed so that customers were well taken care of and tasks were completed. People knew what they were supposed to do and were left alone to do it. Of course that was before cost-cutting was considered to the solution to all problems. TMs today are bounced around like ping pong balls because ETLs seems more interested in pursuing their own agendas than taking care of the store. TMs are assigned tasks, are not allowed to finish them because they are pulled all over the store to put out fires in other areas, then are held accountable for not completing their original tasks. What a complete shitshow! Running the store differently every day with priorities based on which leaders are working leads to TMs who feel like they are walking on eggshells everyday, getting reprimanded today for doing what they were told to do yesterday and will be told to do again tomorrow. No wonder confusion reigns, and no wonder people get fed up with it and quit...🙄

a big reason i see at my store is certain etls and the stl feel as if everyone else is beneath them and will talk down to others. we’ve lost some really good tms and tls because of it. my favorite tl left because he got no help from his direct etl, worked 10x as hard, and had to take the blame for his etl slacking off... but that etl has a degree, so he feels superior.

it’s asking someone to do something basic and then snarkily saying “if you know how to” or “did you understand that” in a condescending voice. it’s following me around and asking me if i know what i am doing... meanwhile i’ve been doing it well by myself for months if not over a year now.

it’s the etl walking by guest service with the line out the door, offering no help and asking me why the reshop is not sorted. it’s the stl who does not know the basic functions on the pos and cannot process a return.

Last edited:
Theu have goals on losing people? Why :/

Some stores don't retain talent at all and that falls on leadership. When you have to keep hiring new people you are wasting money on training (oxymoron), orientations, etc.

You will lose people, that's why I was skeptical of the number 10. Retail is only a career for a select few and often you have to change companies to climb. My store had to terminate ten people alone for underperforming or stealing so there will be terms. Some people ace an interviewer and you find out they are bad workers. That is just life.

I was told on a few occasions we are not allowed to fire anymore people. Didn't matter how shitty they were because we had too much turn over and said it looks bad to corporate.

And you cannot be afraid to let poor performers go. We have a store in my district with unheard of retention but the etl hr cares more about her numbers then holding the team accountable. I imagine her TLs are very frustrated with her.

Last edited:
The only reason why I could imagine myself quitting right now is this April when I want to go on a leave or just straight up quit to start my business full time detailing cars. Do Shipt/Instacart on the side.

Last year, what kept me from my true business potential was Target. I'd get home, have a car to go detail, and just absolutely dread going to do it. I just wanted to lay down and die but, I did it. Whenever I had a few days off I could head out of the house and do 2-3 cars a day easily and be so fucking happy doing it while making bank.

I'm looking to quit Target just to get freedom in my work life. If I can do $2000 a month in car details all summer, I could live off of that, pay my bills, and remain free, but I have sales goals starting in May to do $2,850 a month. Eventually, once business is good after a few years, I have an ideal commercial location I would rent or buy to open up a detail shop and develop it into a professional detail shop. I'll be the Gordon Ramsey of Detailing minus the Brit influence. I'll offer Window Tints, Rim Plasti-Dip services, Premium Detail Services and cheaper Wax services, etc...

Only reason I can imagine leaving Target in the next few months. I won't leave until I can find myself having a consistent two weeks booked out. I'll have side hustles lined up like I mentioned above to take care of any time between business if it slows down. I live in a town of 13,000 people, surrounded by other towns with 13,000 people within twenty miles. Just twenty or so minutes down the interstate I'm in suburban Minneapolis if I decide I want to go that far in and I get good traffic from those towns.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with me wanting online college and starting August 26th, I have been getting a lot of interest in the Sales sector of jobs. Unfortunately, one job I wanted to do at a Verizon store needed me to drive three hours a day for two weeks with zero pay but "mileage reimbursement" and fucked out of that job. The people are pretty pissed since I accepted the offer, the information wasn't exactly withheld that I was going to need to travel for training, but they didn't disclose the correct town and the zero pay except mileage reimbursement part.

I've gotten a few apps out to Car Dealerships for Car Sales, something I believe I can excel in, and there's been a general interest and pending a few interviews to be scheduled if the managers like my application. It's either getting into a Car Sales job, or doing my own detailing business. I have a feeling Car Sales will be much more profitable, and I won't 100% mind ten hour days if it means I'm selling 3-5 cars a day. Also doesn't bother me because my girlfriend is gone from 8am-6pm every day, she's doing ten hour days too, it's a balance we can maintain together. Getting myself into a commission only job will get me the money to do stock investing and buying real estate in the next 3-5 years... IF I'm good at it.

Last edited:
Turnover is a normal part of entry level work. Since most retail workers are doing entry level work, you should expect high turnover. Target, like any other retail store, is just a pit stop for a lot of people. Nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with what you are saying, but there is a difference in a store that builds its people and they move up and or out with respect and growth and there is the other where people escape or fucking run cause the environment is toxic. Target is pretty fucking toxic to its own people right now..

These jobs aren't easy. For some people, they expected it to be easy. For others, the schedule is too wacky to work out.
Yes, one can't sustain any type of actual normalcy with the abuse of hours and scheduling. They take extreme advantage of people.

I'm starting to see, after all these years, that those in the stores are but numbers.

I should never have joined this forum as it's confirmed what I thought I saw. Now I'm sour. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back