Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

Me when we set the revisions a couple days ago: Yay all of our lock boxes are filled

Me now: oh great our JBL flip 4's are now discontinued so now the jbl case is gonna be empty.

I can never win with these planograms.

Side note: We're gonna be carrying a 75 inch TCL soon. My store never even sells the 70 inch Vizio TV. (Low income area). I don't know how tf I'm gonna fit this thing in my backroom.

Can’t wait to see how they are going to fit that in the steel bulk side at my store at least above a certain size tv has a dedicated steel location

Beats never come in for us :(

It’s the opposite for us maybe somehow we are getting what your suppose to be getting lol.

Example: Powerbeats Pro we avg about 5-6 per every other Truck lately & on trend when we normally get the shipment of them we have been down to just 1 left each time. Last week we actually had to backstock some due to us getting more then capacity because of 3 doubles ( we changed the Capacity to 10 since that’s how many comfortably fit double stacked as well)

Is anyone elses leadership completely ignoring the department? I'm pretty much alone in caring about the entirety of my department, all the way to the top of the store, to the others in my department which care more about the General Merch part of the job than our area at all...

It’s the opposite for us maybe somehow we are getting what your suppose to be getting lol.

Example: Powerbeats Pro we avg about 5-6 per every other Truck lately & on trend when we normally get the shipment of them we have been down to just 1 left each time. Last week we actually had to backstock some due to us getting more then capacity because of 3 doubles ( we changed the Capacity to 10 since that’s how many comfortably fit double stacked as well)

Like we get the actual over the ear headphones (the solos and what so ever) but the not the powerbeats or the speakers. we have an entire line on that pog that' pretty much shows up as "not sold at this store" so that shelf stays kinda empty

Also my instocks in my Electronics is pretty decent. We have a few trouble spots but that's about it.

Also fuck HQ filling an entire pog with mostly discontinued shit

Is anyone elses leadership completely ignoring the department? I'm pretty much alone in caring about the entirety of my department, all the way to the top of the store, to the others in my department which care more about the General Merch part of the job than our area at all...
Unfortunately this tends to happen in electronics in my experience, especially if there's someone in the department that works really hard to keep it running or if the TL for the area doesn't know/doesn't care about the ins and outs of the department.
Over the course of my time with Spot, seven of ten TLs have chosen to ignore or otherwise neglect the E&E area

Unfortunately this tends to happen in electronics in my experience, especially if there's someone in the department that works really hard to keep it running or if the TL for the area doesn't know/doesn't care about the ins and outs of the department.
Over the course of my time with Spot, seven of ten TLs have chosen to ignore or otherwise neglect the E&E area

We no longer have a TL over us but I basically do everything and more then a TL would and have the team being able to produce results as well any walk by the SD or higher I’m able to answer any and all questions they have & have a paper trail via emails on what gets done each day for the department. my specialty sales ETL loves the full ownership that I’ve taken and has even said multiple times that our area is the only area in the store not struggling if it be workload of being consistent with sales. I’m the only Tech that gets 40hrs every week no matter the time of year. They even schedule me when I open slightly off hours then what should be scheduled but it’s mostly because of off stage work for the department. Sunday’s 6-230/130-10 Mon-Sat 7-330/230-11. I have been approached on possibly going to other stores that are further behind in modernization then us to help the tech teams out and get them to as closely on par as we are as possible but I’m on the fence with that because I’m like isn’t that the ETLs role lol. Both my SD & DSD approached me on this.

We no longer have a TL over us but I basically do everything and more then a TL would and have the team being able to produce results as well any walk by the SD or higher I’m able to answer any and all questions they have & have a paper trail via emails on what gets done each day for the department. my specialty sales ETL loves the full ownership that I’ve taken and has even said multiple times that our area is the only area in the store not struggling if it be workload of being consistent with sales. I’m the only Tech that gets 40hrs every week no matter the time of year. They even schedule me when I open slightly off hours then what should be scheduled but it’s mostly because of off stage work for the department. Sunday’s 6-230/130-10 Mon-Sat 7-330/230-11. I have been approached on possibly going to other stores that are further behind in modernization then us to help the tech teams out and get them to as closely on par as we are as possible but I’m on the fence with that because I’m like isn’t that the ETLs role lol. Both my SD & DSD approached me on this.

I own Tech in a very similar capacity and it definitely hasn't gone unnoticed by my STL and other store leadership, but that's like overkill. At least in my district Tech isn't worried about that much. I wouldn't call it neglected but they definitely have things they're worried about before making sure every stores Tech department is caught up in Modernization.

The only thing they care about is making sure Tech TM's aren't doing other shit around the store, my STL was telling me a lot of leadership in stores around my area got caught using Tech TM's for GM work and they got in some trouble.

The only thing they care about is making sure Tech TM's aren't doing other shit around the store, my STL was telling me a lot of leadership in stores around my area got caught using Tech TM's for GM work and they got in some trouble.

Around here they have tech doing reshop for the nearest departments (of which there's always a lot). I always encourage guests to press that stupid "summon an employee!" button. Been chided a few times for not turning it off by said employee, but hell if I'm not going to help the customer get someone who can ACTUALLY help.

I own Tech in a very similar capacity and it definitely hasn't gone unnoticed by my STL and other store leadership, but that's like overkill. At least in my district Tech isn't worried about that much. I wouldn't call it neglected but they definitely have things they're worried about before making sure every stores Tech department is caught up in Modernization.

We were directed to use this with caution but any entertainment/toys calls/call boxes don’t pick up answer unless there is no GM scheduled in or near toys. Entertainment for us is constantly backed up with push because they have only 2 GM Team Members for Entertainment/Toys/Sport/Baby. Collectible Items we handle the initial launch after that if anything is left it goes to GM even tho it falls under Elect Fillgroup.

Guests at first especially on the phone couldn’t understand why we transferred those calls now but after our SD had a very volatile guest call the store for toys and was in the store at the same time and complained why we didn’t assist and the SD explained there are dedicated TMs for that area and they can help and how the phone now gives u options to select specific areas. The guest left embarrassed ever so slightly but the word got around quick we might get 1-5 toy calls on the tech direct line a week compared to the 20+ we use to

Same as all the above except the problem I'm having now is that they are expecting me to do other departments instead of maintaining mine. Literally demanding tech do toys (even though we have a toys tm) instead of taking care of tech.

Same as all the above except the problem I'm having now is that they are expecting me to do other departments instead of maintaining mine. Literally demanding tech do toys (even though we have a toys tm) instead of taking care of tech.
Has GM taken over Entertainment in your store? We are still doing it in my store, and books are killing us with sets and product coming in. So, other than taking calls for Toys/Sporting Goods/Pets/Rear Seasonal (when no GM TMs are in those areas) we don't have time to do anything else in any other department.

Has GM taken over Entertainment in your store? We are still doing it in my store, and books are killing us with sets and product coming in. So, other than taking calls for Toys/Sporting Goods/Pets/Rear Seasonal (when no GM TMs are in those areas) we don't have time to do anything else in any other department.
Yes they have revisions weekly that aren't that big of a deal, and we only get three trucks normally so we aren't that busy but all of my work that I should be doing is ignored as if it doesn't need done. So my department is a mess every single day when I get there because nobody else touches it either because they're all told to work in toys

The Toys TM is also the Entertainment TM for us and is an ex electronics TM (as per the new system). Both of us are still part of the planogram team I guess and are pulled to set in various departments (Domestics, seasonal, toys, etc) as per the old system even though we're in the new system that says we shouldn't....it's all very frustrating.

In the end I'll get a list of things to do from the lead, none of which are in tech, even though tech is an absolute disaster, and they'd rather I do that, then fix the department.

Last edited:
We are getting killed with books too. And it could even be remedied if they just STOP SENDING SO MANY. Literally I had trucks with hundreds of each book. None of these sell and just get sent back anyway!!!

Who takes care of batteries in your store? Tech? Each department takes care of their own? Someone else?
For a good long while one of the GMTLs had worked out a system where the tech team would own batteries on a daily basis with the TL's support.
Last I heard, the Energizer rep for our store was beyond impressed because we had the best battery instocks and sales comp in our group because of it.

What the hell is an energizer vendor...

@tholmes Tech owned every battery outpost and the check lane batteries?
Yup, it was part of our daily routine, the GMTL and I agreed on doing it as soon as my team got the cage to minimize issues from lost coverage. Electronics handled the push and backstock, he and I handled SFQ and audits.
The only thing we really had to do extra was about eight hours of pushing and auditing before we rolled the process to start on good footing.

I am the only one who does batteries at my store and I do the boat, all outposts, and the check lanes. If I don't, the batteries just sit on the counter of the boat collecting dust.

Every store ive been in, electronics was always responsible for ZONING the adjacent departments. Be it toys, stationary, seasonal (That said, aint no way in hell am I responsible for BTS -> christmas seasonal.) Toys often had a dedicated person during the holidays, and dedicated pushers in the morning. The other areas do have their dedicate morning pusher all year long.

What the hell is an energizer vendor...

@tholmes Tech owned every battery outpost and the check lane batteries?

Ive seen him but like once every 2 months. Our pile of batteries get done "when we have time". I'm not bouncing over the entire store with no one covering electronics, if anyone above us cared then they can find someone who isn't securing an area.

Yes they have revisions weekly that aren't that big of a deal, and we only get three trucks normally so we aren't that busy but all of my work that I should be doing is ignored as if it doesn't need done. So my department is a mess every single day when I get there because nobody else touches it either because they're all told to work in toys

Only 3? Must be freaking nice. We get 5 normaly, and during the holidays it will be 6.

I am the only one who does batteries at my store and I do the boat, all outposts, and the check lanes. If I don't, the batteries just sit on the counter of the boat collecting dust.

Batteries for us in Tech is only in Tech all other outposts per the ETL-GM are owned by the area they are in. The revisions for the outposts this week none got done but we set our batteries that were due 2 weeks later

Back