Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

/Rant

Starting to get fed up with my stores culture.
We're now sitting at 6 primary electronic team members. Two of us do all the work.
One is 15-30 minutes late every day for the last year.
One is newer, and is late every single day
One just doesn't care at all
The last one is kinda eh, he's super new and he'll grow.

The one who has been late every single day I don't understand how he still has a job. He literally isn't on time for an opening, mid, or closing shift...ever. Our store refuses to fire anyone unless something egregious happens (Is this a target thing or am I stuck with numero uno stupid target?)

None of the other four do any process that they are supposed to. Turning tv's on, phone inventory, etc. Leads have been spoken to on multiple occasions over the last year and still every single one of these team members doesn't do their job.

AP practices aren't being upheld at all. Spiderwraps on products that need it, things locked up the way they are supposed to be (including ignore the plano when something is a security risk.

Everything in the store that regards tech is done halfassed when it's not done or directed by me. When my specialty sales lead gets involved, it actively becomes worse. I've never met a lead more unfit for the job than the one they threw in when specialty sales became a thing. They ignore our department and almost never come over unless the STL tells them to get involved, and then they make decisions for the sake of making decisions. They cause more security issues than anything and ruin pogs just for the sake of saying they did something. They don't make any educated decisions whatsoever, and I've spoken to two different ETL's over the past couple years on the matter.

Our current ETL has no business making decisions either, I'm not even sure how they've managed to get the job when they also seem completely oblivious to brand practices, especially since they were a specialty sales etl prior to us.

2020 has been the worst year to date, with or without Covid, just simply due to the leadership having completely given up. I've been with the company for nearly a decade now, and these kids who have been there a year make the same pay as me and do absolutely no damn work and no amount of talking to anyone (including the STL) seems to do anything. I get stuck in this back and forth of other leads telling me that it's not their team members, my TL ignoring the complaints, and the ETL/STL just telling me that it's up to my TL.

What the hell am I supposed to do? Grin and bear it? Quit? It's literally unbearable that I am LITERALLY the only person leading my department even though I am just a regular tech plus mobile team member. I spend more time undoing the damage of my leaders than anything (including them removing pogs I set in favour of something else, only to have them put that pog back on my list...). Store plano is on the decline since the invention of DBO's, and I refuse to let that crap run into my department when we damn well know how to do our job.

Just go in, work your shift, go home and forget it. When leadership is failing that much that is all you can do. It sucks when you actually do care about the department, but it's what you have to do to stay sane. That's the advice that a TL who has been with the company for 30 years told me. It's been invaluable.

Just go in, work your shift, go home and forget it. When leadership is failing that much that is all you can do. It sucks when you actually do care about the department, but it's what you have to do to stay sane. That's the advice that a TL who has been with the company for 30 years told me. It's been invaluable.
It really is true, you just have to let things go, otherwise it will make crazy. You can't care more than leadership does - there's no winning that situation.

Every single good worker Tech has ever had has been forcefully pulled to another department or had their hours dropped. and moved to a strange shift schedule, and those hours promoted to the people we all constantly complain about. I truly do feel as if our STL and leads are purposefully sabotaging our department on the daily. There seems to be a constant disregard for us and even a disgust with things like mobile.

Every single good worker Tech has ever had has been forcefully pulled to another department or had their hours dropped. and moved to a strange shift schedule, and those hours promoted to the people we all constantly complain about. I truly do feel as if our STL and leads are purposefully sabotaging our department on the daily. There seems to be a constant disregard for us and even a disgust with things like mobile.

Then let them fail. Don't make it your problem.

I feel like at my store, the good ones get snapped up by Tech. Nobody leaves from there. They all seem to get along, and get all the hours they need.

I'm in a simular situation. I alternated mornings with an other and we had all the responsibility. For the year we had 2 others who could push and sell, but not much else. However unlike previous years where when electronics needed hours to get the work done we got them, this year we are hung out to dry. We've got days of truck not pushed and no ones being held accountable. My etl isn't bad and has a lot of retail xp, but she refuses to be a boss to her leaders. Mean while the leads that oversee us have little power and even less experience so when ever they try and lecture me something I just tell them they are wrong. It looks like this weekend they will help us get caught up. It only took 3 visits from district. I wasn't leading things when they stepped into their job and have not offered to step up on weeks I am light on hours. I am letting them see first hand how little gets done with the crew they give the hours too. Also I wouldn't be able to stand 40 hours of this.

Just had orientation and starting as tech consultant tomorrow. What do I have to expect?
Know everything about tvs. Game consoles. Headphones and Bluetooth speakers. Basics on the routers and extenders. Know the different sizes and colors of apple iPad and watches. Know your USB connector styles.

You'll also need to know how to push out 4-5 repacks a day of Heyday crap that won't sell while keeping an eye on the Beats shipper that theives are circling around. If you can do that while teaching Gramps how to swipe to answer his phone, you're golden.

Building on this: Audit the Heyday crap every once in a while to clear out some of the clearance/salvage.

You'll also need to know how to push out 4-5 repacks a day of Heyday crap that won't sell while keeping an eye on the Beats shipper that theives are circling around. If you can do that while teaching Gramps how to swipe to answer his phone, you're golden.
Lmao we destroyed that shipper and used a end cap with a case cause ha ha no way are we having that stuff with everyone access

It seems like every year they make this obnixous decision to have product that is reguarly in locked cases or peghooks be available to grab, and force stores to comply with the decision. Then when 75% of the units get stolen, the district staff is like "yeah, nvm".

It's like they're just hoping people will stop stealing or something lmao.

Best advice ever. Was told by an etl once "thats above my pay grade" your whole vent is above your paygrade its hard to create the perfect team for tech especially now. Dont stress or work yourself too hard they are not even noticing your hard work and all that stress and frustration will lower your immune system u dont want that now
I agree clock in do what you can and clock out..everything else is above your paygrade..i also have to tell myself and others this but I also completely understand.

Scratch that, be an certified expert in box-reading.

Good luck reading those tv boxes from the back room.
Target.com or target app. Product details! You have all the highlights and specs right there all the way down to how many hdmi ports and app compatibilty and resolution for any tv. Thats my bible/daily go to for the difficult questions...also many products have reviews on target that are quite helpful. Put that zebra to use!

Target.com or target app. Product details! You have all the highlights and specs right there all the way down to how many hdmi ports and app compatibilty and resolution for any tv. Thats my bible/daily go to for the difficult questions...also many products have reviews on target that are quite helpful. Put that zebra to use!
I know the main selling points of my tvs.... but yea target. Com helps out a fuck ton... also. Anyone know if any of our tvs are 2.1 hdmi?

I know the main selling points of my tvs.... but yea target. Com helps out a fuck ton... also. Anyone know if any of our tvs are 2.1 hdmi?
Majority of the tvs do 60fps over hdmi. However unless you sell the oleds or vizio m series, not a single one is a high color panel or local diming, so hdr is pointless.

It seems like every year they make this obnixous decision to have product that is reguarly in locked cases or peghooks be available to grab, and force stores to comply with the decision. Then when 75% of the units get stolen, the district staff is like "yeah, nvm".

It's like they're just hoping people will stop stealing or something lmao.
Like the 14.99 Sony headphones

can someone confirm me this; if someone keeps refreshing the app for PS5 while we are unloading the truck, will it show up ASAP? we have kids waiting in line as early as 5AM everyday just to see if our truck unloads either ps5 or xbox and i overheard that products are technically in the store once the truck is being unloaded.

can someone confirm me this; if someone keeps refreshing the app for PS5 while we are unloading the truck, will it show up ASAP? we have kids waiting in line as early as 5AM everyday just to see if our truck unloads either ps5 or xbox and i overheard that products are technically in the store once the truck is being unloaded.
Once the truck is acknowledged. At our store they wait until the truck is unloaded completely before acknowledging. This helps with the Ship from Store team not getting orders for things still being unloaded.

Its why I've been telling people to check the site instead of calling us. I try and make it to where phone calls are lower over time or people coming in the store first thing when we don't have any. Also, what is with all the new book releases the last few weeks? I don't remember there being this many last quarter.

Back