Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

Really? In Q4 at least I've had days where we'd open at like 5-6 AM. 2020 Q4 we also had an overnight electronics person. It was. So. Fkn. Good. 2021 However they didn't give us an overnighter. Don't really know why. We did have a dedicated cashier in electronics on Black Friday week too. We trained her on everything haha. Even 141 (she asked about 141). Ofc we'd never ask her to do anything other than the maybe "Hey can you just handle it here while I go to the bathroom". Electronics is pretty spoiled with hours in Q4 but it's honestly never enough.

We have a Plano team at our store so Plano is done by them. We used to do it but apparently, we weren't doing it right? regardless the Plano and the remodel team at my store have one thing in common. Brain damage.
Q4 is and always will have exceptions to every rule. hahaha. Everything seems to go out the window.

When I say 7, it is because my store opens at 8 most times of the year. We had an overnight person for Tech during Q4.

We have a plano team, they don't do Tech, apparently they see it as, Tech are DBOs, so they should do their own revisions. Which, is fine, I am the only one who apparently knows how to in Tech - and I've only been there 6 months. With that said, we only have two people dedicated to Tech (as in it is their primary work center), the others are primaried other places and work in Tech some days. It's insane. Apparently Corp only gives our Tech ~80 hours a week, which isn't enough to have it open all the hours the store is open.

Last edited:
Apparently Corp only gives our Tech ~80 hours a week, which isn't enough to have it open all the hours the store is open.
I've been told we get 40 hrs a week for tech. It's been a while since we've had open to close coverage. I find it strange with how guest focused corporate is (and most leaders), but yet its acceptable to cause guests major delays getting stuff unlocked and rung up in tech when there isn't a tech TM covering. Heaven forbid a guest waits 30 seconds to check out upfront (time to repeatedly scream for backup on the walkie), but back in tech, eh it's fine. 🙄

Q4 they will have 2 people there at 4am-noon the whole season, then on big days like black Friday or the night before and after xmas we get a cashier whose only job is to stand at our register and ring.

And then there's usually 2 closers and like 3-4 staggered mids.

ve been told we get 40 hrs a week for tech. It's been a while since we've had open to close coverage.
Okay, I don't get this. How do you guys function? Isn't it Target policy that you are to always have someone in electronics? If that's the case how tf are they giving you guys 40 hours? HOw big is your trucks? How bad is Q4?

At my store, we have someone who usually start from 7 to about 2 PM and hands off to a closer. On weekends we usually get mid shifts too.

Okay, I don't get this. How do you guys function? Isn't it Target policy that you are to always have someone in electronics? If that's the case how tf are they giving you guys 40 hours? HOw big is your trucks? How bad is Q4?

At my store, we have someone who usually start from 7 to about 2 PM and hands off to a closer. On weekends we usually get mid shifts too.
It's not always been this bad. 2022 has been very rough and tech has struggled to keep up because we also handle entertainment and all the freight and revisions that entails. During normal times (pre 2022) we would have open to close coverage. We usually have lots of book boxes sitting in the back. We do manage to mostly stay on top of tech freight. We're doing far better than beauty and style, so there's that I guess...

We typically have someone 8 - 445, and someone 430 - 10, that's it. No mid shifts, hardly ever. I checked Greenfield and if I am reading it right, we actually only got 61 hours last week, but we were fully staffed for 98 our store was open. My SS-ETL says they steal hours from style.
Q4 they will have 2 people there at 4am-noon the whole season, then on big days like black Friday or the night before and after xmas we get a cashier whose only job is to stand at our register and ring.

And then there's usually 2 closers and like 3-4 staggered mids.
For Q4 we had a 8 - 445, 115 - 10 and a 430 - 1000, and sometimes two during each. On black Friday, we had 2 opening, 2 mid and 2 close. No dedicated cashier, but we had one of us do that.

this whole week tech has had someone from like...

8am-noon and 6pm to 10pm

yesterday and the day before the openers called out and i was the closer and couldnt come in earlier due to my other job so thats been fun

this whole week tech has had someone from like...

8am-noon and 6pm to 10pm

yesterday and the day before the openers called out and i was the closer and couldnt come in earlier due to my other job so thats been fun
It is ridiculous that they don't have open to close coverage in Tech. Hell, I think it's crazy to not have it for the fitting rooms either.

AGREED! I know that Spot cut an hour off fitting room for the start of the day which makes sense to me but I bet Style used that one hour for something.
I wish it was only an hour! We are just now starting to get a little dayside coverage after having none, yes NONE (except for AP cleaning out the stalls) until late afternoon!

Looks like our GM ETL put some of our new TVs in the steel and pushed some to the floor. What did he not do? Locate the TVs in the steel.

*joy*

Looks like our GM ETL put some of our new TVs in the steel and pushed some to the floor. What did he not do? Locate the TVs in the steel.
Oof we had this poblem where we had a vizio 32 inch tv 1080p and another vizio 32 inch 720p. Literal identical boxes. We palletized it and threw it up there but it was all wrong lol.

So, that question I had about Entertainment? Turns out its because someone made a mistake in the estimated time and put in hours rather than minutes, so my workload estimate is actually the standard for what is involved that week if you do that. Drops 50 hours lol

Someone in the chat box mentioned they were able to lookup applecare sales. Is there a way to see who does it in a store?

Someone in the chat box mentioned they were able to lookup applecare sales. Is there a way to see who does it in a store?
I had an instance where I forgot to scan the receipt ID for the guest to activate the apple care (stupid that it lets you check someone out like that). Since all applecare is is just a DPCI Just lookup the DPCI on the receipt finder. SHould tell you the TM ID of who sold it.

I had an instance where I forgot to scan the receipt ID for the guest to activate the apple care (stupid that it lets you check someone out like that). Since all applecare is is just a DPCI Just lookup the DPCI on the receipt finder. SHould tell you the TM ID of who sold it.
That's true. I was wondering about like stats. I found a datasource that shows the number of apple care at a store, I was wondering if it could be broken down by person, but I didn't see anything in their data warehouse in a way to find that in greenfield.

That's true. I was wondering about like stats. I found a datasource that shows the number of apple care at a store, I was wondering if it could be broken down by person, but I didn't see anything in their data warehouse in a way to find that in greenfield.
you could use receipt finder for stats too. Not anything official but you could use it for that too.

you could use receipt finder for stats too. Not anything official but you could use it for that too.
Duh!!! My bad, I didn't realize what you meant at first.

Lately the Apple Care app doesn't like to use the scanner. I worry about mistyping the information, haha. That'd be a bad day.

Duh!!! My bad, I didn't realize what you meant at first.

Lately the Apple Care app doesn't like to use the scanner. I worry about mistyping the information, haha. That'd be a bad day.
dude yeah. it’s kinda scary because what do you do if you fuck something up?

I don’t know how to fix the AppleCare scanner either. it’s the worst when it breaks.

Honestly it wouldn’t be that difficult to just lock the POS until you scan a verification code on the device 🤷‍♀️

Back