Archived LinkedIn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes.

I left target in summer 2016 and I am currently updating my LinkedIn profile. I stopped updating around 2015 (oops), but I'll be back on the job market soon and I want to get it all up to date. The jobs I'll be looking for probably won't be super interested in retail work so I plan to keep the section about my time at target fairly short. I just don't know what to write. I was a sales floor team member (mainly softlines) and I also trained to do fitting room. Plus backup cashier when needed like everyone. But by the end I was basically in market most shifts, although I wasn't officially promoted to the P-fresh assistant position.

I was looking for some help with bullet points for my LinkedIn profile, obviously "folding clothes" doesn't sound impressive, but we do work very hard as team members and have a lot of great skills that often seem to be overlooked when you tell people you work in retail. And a lot of skills I learned at a retail job can be transferred to other careers. Being a team member is tough sometimes especially when you have to do so much with so few hours. So I want to showcase that I did learn skills and worked hard.

Maybe if people have LinkedIn accounts they could help give me an idea of what they include for their time at Target. Or what do you include on your resume. I'm just at a lost for what to write for some reason. So any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Some ideas to consider:
  • Responsible for sales and maintainence of the softlines department.
  • Drove sales by increasing basket size through building a rapport with guests and assisting in designing custom outfits.
  • Collaborated with other team members to drive profitability and sales in assigned department.
  • Supported other workcenters as needed including cashiering, planogram, stocking, etc.
Really just think of all the little nitty gritty stuff you did and try to spin it in a corporate sense. Don’t get overly cheesy with it though, I did that first and realized it made me look like I was trying way too hard.

Do you have any professional experience or internships? You kind of have to tailor your resume to the job at times. If you are applying for a professional job, then you want to highlight your educational experience first. If you are looking for other retail opps, use your Target and retail history at top.

Now a days, HR and hiring firms look at Facebook and LinkedIn accounts.

If retail is your only job history, mention all cross-training rewards and any training, supervising any TMs, equipment or projects. Usually providing customer service in <work areas>, resolve customer complaints, monitor and maintain accurate inventory counts....

Also look into joining a service organization or professional group. ex. Young Professionals, Toastmasters.

So I worked at a clothing store before target where we used had to push the store credit card (similar to the red card). Since I was mainly a cashier at that store I want to include that in the other job description. Does anyone have a good bullet point for that? I don't know why I'm struggling so much with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back