Archived LOA - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triscuit

Pricing Ninja
I have been offered a part time government position that starts out at $15 an hour. Pay is great but obviously the downside is its only part time, hence why I would be perfectly okay with working at this job and also at target. The reason I want to accept this position is because it is related to what I went to school for and will look good on a resume. Target does nothing to advance me with my degree. So the problem is, I have to leave for 6 weeks for training. A former employee a few months ago took an LOA so he could train for the exact same position I am so I thought I could do the same. Apparently we just got a new HR-BP who does not allow LOAs for work at another job. They are going to have a meeting about it this week and see if there is anything they can do to approve the LOA.

Now I am stuck in a pickle because if I quit target and solely just work the other job, I will be making less money than I do now and I fear I will not be able to find a second job that will accept my ever changing availability (my shifts can be morning, night, weekends etc. its different every week but they give out the schedule a month in advance) My ETL and I get a long great and she was willing to work around my availability.

I was also thinking about just putting my 2 weeks in and re applying 90 days later. I do not fear losing my raises because with the minimum going up to $10 I wont be losing much.

Guess I am just looking for some friendly advice or opinions on what I should do :/

Does your ETL HR know that you are wanting to train with this other job? At the store level, HR can only key an unpaid educational LOA. The ETL HR (not even HR BP) are not going to ask you to prove to them that you are enrolled in classes etc. Go in and tell them you are starting a 6 week educational class and for them to key you for an LOA. Let them know that you don't want to quit but that you want further your education. No matter what age -we aren't going to deny something like that. I wouldn't think it would really be any of their business to even question you. That's just my HR take on it.

You could phrase it that you are abandoning spot but this will make you a better employee, and that at this time of year are more than enough people who need hours that would pick up your shifts. That the 2nd job is part time and temporary(even if it is not) but your loyalty lies with spot, but this opportunity is in line with my degree and you would be remiss to not try for it. I am only going this route if you have told them it is for another job.. I agree in whole with KillerQueen.

In the future and to anyone else thinking of something like this, NEVER EVER say it is for another job. Your current employer will never help cause it gains them nothing. It all costs. Finding yourself and or you need a break is better than another employer.

You could phrase it that you are abandoning spot but this will make you a better employee, and that at this time of year are more than enough people who need hours that would pick up your shifts. That the 2nd job is part time and temporary(even if it is not) but your loyalty lies with spot, but this opportunity is in line with my degree and you would be remiss to not try for it. I am only going this route if you have told them it is for another job.. I agree in whole with KillerQueen.

In the future and to anyone else thinking of something like this, NEVER EVER say it is for another job. Your current employer will never help cause it gains them nothing. It all costs. Finding yourself and or you need a break is better than another employer.

The only reason I brought it up that I was training for another job was because that former employee I was talking about had no problem at all taking a LOA for the exact same job I a taking. I thought, Oh no big deal! But I have learned my lesson now.

And to @KillerQueen yes my ETL HR knows, she is the one who is going to bring it up to the HR-BP. -_- sigh I guess I really screwed myself over by mentioning the training It just sucks that they will do it for one person and not another. Life is just not fair.

It definitely isn't fair! I have one TM who cannot afford summer care for her special needs son. So, every summer I key her for an educational LOA and return her from her leave when the school year starts back. My feeling is, my college TMs want hours and are available to work during the summer so it all evens out. I wish you had a more understanding HR team. When does your training start?

I know Triscuit. And it does depend on who you are dealing with. I am just speaking from experience. I totally understand why you approached as you did.

It definitely isn't fair! I have one TM who cannot afford summer care for her special needs son. So, every summer I key her for an educational LOA and return her from her leave when the school year starts back. My feeling is, my college TMs want hours and are available to work during the summer so it all evens out. I wish you had a more understanding HR team. When does your training start?
That's awesome of you to do that! Training starts in a little less than a month so it's coming up quick. i just got word today that is be leaving may 1 and I should have researched loa before jumping the gun. But I will hold out and see how this meeting goes who knows maybe a miracle will happen and they will let me take one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back