Archived Locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started as a seasonal "team member" in electronics over the holidays. I did well, and they said: "Well, we don't have any daytime hours, but we'd like to schedule you for overnight." I accepted. After 2 days of it, I hate it. I CAN'T LEAVE THE BUILDING, even on off-the-clock breaks. "for safety reasons". I got the idea that being put on the overnight team was a reward for doing my job well as a seasonal employee. I can adjust my sleep schedule just fine, but if I am told I can't spend 30 minutes outside when I'm off the clock...lawsuit pending!

If you're overnight then everyone should be taking their 30 at the same time, which means the LOD too. They should be able to let you out, but it might be genuine concern for your safety. Standing alone outside at night at 4 AM is asking for trouble in some areas. Maybe if you get a buddy to come with you they will let off the safety concerns. The other reason is that it's probably a pain for them to disarm and/or unlock the doors for you to leave, when what they want to be doing is having a meal.

It depends on who has they keys, some refuse to open the door others understand that its a small thing to keep people happy.

Interesting. I'm curious how that works... I had a similar situation with another company- key holder had to be in store at all times ( all merchandise was locked in cabinets behind the counter) however hours were restricted to the point that there was rarely more than one key holder in The store at any time- under no circumstances were you to pass your keys to an hourly employee- so where does that leave breaks? Restroom use? Lunch? The company didn't care. They basically forced you to break their rules. Especially at Xmas when you were working ten hour days minimum, at least 6 days a week...essentially living in the store.

i have worked overnight for a couple of weeks this last year but didnt need to leave as there is nothing much to do out , but not allowing someone to leave to leave sounds like an unlawful destination to me

Interesting. I'm curious how that works... I had a similar situation with another company- key holder had to be in store at all times ( all merchandise was locked in cabinets behind the counter) however hours were restricted to the point that there was rarely more than one key holder in The store at any time- under no circumstances were you to pass your keys to an hourly employee- so where does that leave breaks? Restroom use? Lunch? The company didn't care. They basically forced you to break their rules. Especially at Xmas when you were working ten hour days minimum, at least 6 days a week...essentially living in the store.
This means that management has to like you for you to stay. If you get on their bad side there is something right there that they can get rid of you with. Very convenient for the employer. If you followed the rules and didn't unlock anything while on breaks/lunch then they'd probably get rid of you because you're not getting enough work done.

While working daytime, I was allowed a 15-minute break and, as required by Texas law, a 30-minute meal break (off the clock.) At those times, I could go outside. Overnight? No. I'm not even allowed to leave the building. Not even to go to the 7-11 down the street if I forget to bring my meal, or God forbid, smoke a cigarette. I had those rights during the day, no questions asked.

I should be able to drive down the street for my meal whether it's 3 PM or 3 AM. Sure, at 3AM a manager has to let me out to do so...but I don't think that's an unreasonable request. They told me it's "corporate policy". I'm not sure I believe that.

I should be able to drive down the street for my meal whether it's 3 PM or 3 AM. Sure, at 3AM a manager has to let me out to do so...but I don't think that's an unreasonable request. They told me it's "corporate policy". I'm not sure I believe that.
They should have a register open so you can buy a meal there, I know we have a cash bag specifically for that. I am not saying what you're asking for is unreasonable, and I do think you should be allowed to leave for your meal breaks. You could bring it up with HR, it is definitely not corporate policy to lock TMs in off the clock.

It actually is Target policy for the building to be armed at least a hour after closing until I believe 6am or later. And not to be took down unless absolutely needed for things like letting crews in to start work and real emergencies. Grabbing a bite to eat or smoke a cig? Not so much. Target has their own alarm company and people will be notified (AP, STL, DTL) if the alarm rules aren't being followed. It's one of the things they don't let slide.

I see where they're coming from. They wanna be able to keep track of who is in the building and can't do that as easily if people are leaving and coming at different times. Also like someone mention not all stores are in great areas and many of the lots are poorly lit. So like everything else with Target they apply the same rules to every store no matter the situation.

My store is only overnight now for certain busy times of the year but before it was year round. Amazed me how many people were never told during orientation they can't leave and should bring food to eat.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily agree with it, but unless you live in a state that have labor laws against it they aren't gonna change the rules for you.

Last edited:
Yeah, the for safety reasons would be for the store as they can't have people in and out all night without raising the risk that someone who shouldn't be in there gets in. But many people here have said that everyone will take their lunch at the same time so there can be that time to let people out and in together.

You should have people leaving at the same time your meal time starts, I don't see why you can't buy your food when they open up a check out lane for people that want to buy food or bring a lunch with you.

Our store is ON & the ETL will let folks out for smokes during lunch but she also stays at the door watching who comes back in.
Another area store was letting their smokers come back in & another kid came in with them (wearing a red shirt). Nobody said anything since a TL was watching the door. While flow was on the other side of the store, the kid popped several cases & stuffed iPods, iPhones, etc into a bag he had wadded in a pocket. He went out a rear fire door to a car waiting in back. Shortly after, the TL was gone. Rumor was an inside job since AP had him on camera talking on his phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back