Archived Lol my ETL asked why don't you have a Target Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like having a gazillion little entries into my account so I use my red card & make a single payment at service desk.
They don't make any money off me.

I feel exactly that way about both my bank account and target credit card statement (I have both debit and credit; I was immediately approved for the debit first and later immediately approved for the credit). I have found that both have about a 3 day lag time before posting to their respective accounts, which is also slightly negative.

Usually, if the purchase is under $10 or so, I pay cash and am content with the 10% team member discount.

For larger purchases, I use the credit card if I have enough cash to pay it off at guest service. Otherwise, I use the debit card and get cash back as with my purchase.

For the reasons I stated earlier, I can understand team members not wanting a red card. But, I find it hard to understand those team members who forfeit the 10% discount by using a bank card (or credit card). What is so hard about withdrawing cash? A smart phone puts one at just as much risk of robbery (and a determined robber will simply force someone to go to an ATM and withdraw cash anyway).

There was one day where we were in a RedCard competition with other stores in our district, and the ETLs went around and badgered EVERYONE...it was seriously obnoxious. I had two ask me in the span of an hour and then they were hassling our minor cashiers. Um, you have to be 18 to have a credit card. Leave them alone.

Funny how I'm 100 miles from a Target where I live now and I rarely use my credit or debit...the free shipping was nice when I ordered some boots on clearance...

I use the debit card, after you factor in the 10% + 5% + 5% coupons from pharmacy, you save money instead of going to another store, etc. Some of the reasons listed in here seem childish to me.

Eh still don't want an ugly red card to be my debit card

I would start performancing out team members with some of the attitudes in this thread... Your negativity is costing you money! You could have two debit cards to one account, one makes you pay full price and the other is red and cuts your total down 15%... But because you are bitter you pay too much! Walmarts product is not 15% cheaper across the board...

I would start performancing out team members with some of the attitudes in this thread... Your negativity is costing you money! You could have two debit cards to one account, one makes you pay full price and the other is red and cuts your total down 15%... But because you are bitter you pay too much! Walmarts product is not 15% cheaper across the board...

This is exactly what I was thinking.

On average, Target's pricing is about 1-2% higher, then Walmart's pricing... but when you really add in, the cost of gas, plus the fact your getting at least 10% off, the so called savings are pretty much a washout.

Also...

It seems that Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT), the second-largest U.S. retailer, is doing something right. After beating market expectations earlier this month with its second-quarter earnings, it beat industry leader Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) in the competition for lowest prices.
And for the first time since October, Target has managed to have better pricing, albeit only slightly, and only based on a basket of 150 similar products offered at both chains.

According to Bloomberg Industries, Target has edged out Wal-Mart this month by a whopping 0.46 points. In other words, according to the survey, $100 worth of Wal-Mart stuff would cost $99.54 at Target.

According to the survey, this 46 cents per Benjamin is the widest margin by which Target has managed to beat the retail behemoth of Bentonville, Ark., which typically retains the No. 1 slot for the lowest price points of the brick-and-mortars.

For its part, a Wal-Mart representative dismissed the finding as a fluke. "Pricing surveys will always reflect some differences," Wal-Mart spokesperson Deisha Galberth Barnett told Bloomberg.

While 46 cents for every $100 is hardly a cost savings that would get consumers to switch preferences, it does suggest Target is playing hardball in the price war against its primary competitor, and in some cases winning.

One reason for Target's ability to remain price competitive is food costs; it narrowed Wal-Mart's price advantage from 4.5 points last month to 1.35 points. Much of that gap-narrowing occurred with back-to-school promotions and isn't likely to stand.

Still, it shows Target's move to incorporate general grocery items, including fresh foods, is working.

Target began introducing fresh foods to 350 stores in 2010 after testing the so-called PFresh model at its general-merchandise stores in Minneapolis, where the company is headquartered. PFresh is now a fixture in more than 1,000 of its 1,772 stores. The company says it costs between $2 million and $4 million per store to implement the PFresh model.

The company's stock price has climbed 27 percent since the middle of 2010 and it reported better-then-expected second-quarter results of $1.06 earnings per share, which was higher than the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.01. Target shares fell 60 cents, down to $63.08, on Thursday. The stock started the year at $51.22.

I would performance you out of this board. Your positivity is sickening for a company that doesn't give 2 ****s about it's workers.

I feel badly for you, Imerzan. You bitterness is over the top and it hurts no one but you. You're bitter because you think you got a raw deal. Hey, it's life. Not always fair, but your being nasty doesn't hurt Target. Why are you so mean to everyone?

I would performance you out of this board. Your positivity is sickening for a company that doesn't give 2 ****s about it's workers.

Wow... My positivity is sickening? I will say there are probably some bad stores and even districts within this company, and at times I do question some decisions at the corporate level! However, on this topic (target debit cards) if you are a team member there is not a single good reason to not have one! It is not a credit card and doesn't hurt your credit score, it pulls from a checking account you already have so there are no payments or fees and no hassle, and allows you to use your TM discount and throws in 5% more! If you refuse to get one then there is something wrong...

Wow... My positivity is sickening? I will say there are probably some bad stores and even districts within this company, and at times I do question some decisions at the corporate level! However, on this topic (target debit cards) if you are a team member there is not a single good reason to not have one! It is not a credit card and doesn't hurt your credit score, it pulls from a checking account you already have so there are no payments or fees and no hassle, and allows you to use your TM discount and throws in 5% more! If you refuse to get one then there is something wrong...

Still does a credit check when you get debit card. Either way, cash is king and it rules everything around us.

You should probably catch up with everyone in the current century. Not to mention I don't see many drug dealers willing to take a debit card, so your catchy little saying from the 70's isn't working.

Plus, i dont spend money I do not have. I can see how much I spend when I have a roll of cash. I use debit card for two things -- gas and grass.

Lol what kind of world do you live in that a dealer will take your debit card for a bag of weed?

I'll bite. The redcard debit takes a long time to pull the funds from your account.

Unless you carry a checkbook and balance all your purchases (do people under 40 even do this anymore?), it doesn't work so well.

I like my bank card because it updates my balance right away, so i know how much i have at all times.

The neglible 5% isn't worth it for everyday purchases, an overdraft costs more.

I'll bite. The redcard debit takes a long time to pull the funds from your account.

Unless you carry a checkbook and balance all your purchases (do people under 40 even do this anymore?), it doesn't work so well.

I like my bank card because it updates my balance right away, so i know how much i have at all times.

I suppose if you keep very little money in your checking account then I could see this being a valid reason to not have one... This is not an issue with the card however, but with the owner of the checking account! A general rule of thumb is to keep enough money in a savings account to pay for 3 months worth of expenses, while keeping a month's worth in checking... If you follow this rule then there should be no risk of over draft... Personally, I believe that if you are cutting purchases so close that them not getting pulled from your account right away runs a risk of overdraft, then there is not enough of a buffer being kept on reserve...

Plus, i dont spend money I do not have. I can see how much I spend when I have a roll of cash. I use debit card for two things -- gas and grass.

I have never understood the cash only policy! This does not actually save you money, its only purpose is to teach self control! If you can't control your spending then this is a solid alternative, but the best way to actually save money is to take advantage of whatever programs you can WHILE exhibiting self control! If I get 15% off of groceries somewhere (not counting coupons), and I can buy solely what I need and not feel like I can buy more because of this savings... then that is your absolute best option!

I have never understood the cash only policy! This does not actually save you money, its only purpose is to teach self control! If you can't control your spending then this is a solid alternative, but the best way to actually save money is to take advantage of whatever programs you can WHILE exhibiting self control! If I get 15% off of groceries somewhere (not counting coupons), and I can buy solely what I need and not feel like I can buy more because of this savings... then that is your absolute best option!

I don't have it when it comes to money. It exists to be spent, not saved bro.

I don't have it when it comes to money. It exists to be spent, not saved bro.

Mine will be spent some day... I would prefer to just spend it later on something much bigger and better than what it can buy now!

I start orientation in a couple of weeks and I am soooooo looking forward to getting my red debit card! Honestly I'd prefer cash, but I hear the deal is better with the card (?) true? I feel like cash keeps me at bay with overspending. I like the envelope system. I would put a certain amount of $ in the monthly budget for clothing or household items. When those $ run out, then we stop shopping and have to wait for next months allotment. I used to overdraft all the time and this has helped me considerably. Also, instead of a desk register, I use an app called Home Budget. You can input your expenses right away. It's pretty useful.

Some items I need/want at this time are - red and khaki uniform, patio furniture, kids shoes

I suppose if you keep very little money in your checking account then I could see this being a valid reason to not have one... This is not an issue with the card however, but with the owner of the checking account! A general rule of thumb is to keep enough money in a savings account to pay for 3 months worth of expenses, while keeping a month's worth in checking... If you follow this rule then there should be no risk of over draft... Personally, I believe that if you are cutting purchases so close that them not getting pulled from your account right away runs a risk of overdraft, then there is not enough of a buffer being kept on reserve...

Are you in touch with where you and the rest of us work? We're lucky to have two quarters to rub together after each payday...

I love my debit card although it take longer for purchases to clear. I do NOT like my boss sending team members up to fill out the credit card application to get the score up and reach goal for the day. I have never heard of them handing out apps during orientation, but I could see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back