Losing my patience.

I'm going to ask a question that has been asked of you 1000 times in the 50+ threads/reddit posts and potentially give myself an aneurysm over your answer.

Why should they promote you?

And I don't mean this as a jerk. But honestly ask yourself why you deserve to be promoted. Think of it in terms of the interview. What skills do you bring to the table? What have you done that impacted your department metrics, your team or your store, besides throwing expensive equipment, that makes you deserve it over Joe Schmoe off the streets or Mary-Sue from softlines (Idk store departments).

And if your answer is "I'm a hard worker and I've been with Target for a long time." Congratulations, you're in the same bucket as the thousands of other team members that come up wanting a promotion.

Because right now from your motivations you've mentioned in other threads you've said "I wanna sleep with another TL," "I deserve it because I think I'm better than the girl they promoted last year cause I worked here longer," and "I wanna feel special by being in TL meetings." Not great.
Ok, I'm going to give you an honest answer and I want you to critique it and give your unfiltered thoughts.

Our store has a real problem on the sales floor with certain TM's who only do the bare minimum and never go above and beyond. They're perfectly content in just standing around and pushing freight, but they never support other parts of the store. A call for back up in E-pick or to the front lanes will go completely ignored by them and they won't offer any type of response. I know from personal experience that it can be extremely frustrating to feel like the only one in the store who's backing up and I'm going to be more firm and stringent on making sure that the team actually works as a team instead of just letting a small handful of TM's carry the load. This includes ensuring that every single TM is trained for other parts of the store and letting them know that certain conversations will be taking place if they don't offer their support.

Furthermore, the team needs to be taught about workplace integrity, something of which I'm a firm believer in. You clock in, you put in a hard day's work and do your job because that's what you're hired to do, you clock out, and it doesn't go further than that. Certain TM's will only do a certain task if they're promised with some type of reward (a drink from starbucks, getting lunch bought for them, etc) and that needs to stop. A large majority of people on the GM team are full grown adults and we need to stop infantilizing them with treats and goodies.

It's been far too long that certain unmotivated TM's behaviors have been enabled and I'm a potential TL who knows that that system needs to finally come to and end, so as to make sure that we become an actual team that actively supports the store together.

Ok, I'm going to give you an honest answer and I want you to critique it and give your unfiltered thoughts.

Our store has a real problem on the sales floor with certain TM's who only do the bare minimum and never go above and beyond. They're perfectly content in just standing around and pushing freight, but they never support other parts of the store. A call for back up in E-pick or to the front lanes will go completely ignored by them and they won't offer any type of response. I know from personal experience that it can be extremely frustrating to feel like the only one in the store who's backing up and I'm going to be more firm and stringent on making sure that the team actually works as a team instead of just letting a small handful of TM's carry the load. This includes ensuring that every single TM is trained for other parts of the store and letting them know that certain conversations will be taking place if they don't offer their support.

Furthermore, the team needs to be taught about workplace integrity, something of which I'm a firm believer in. You clock in, you put in a hard day's work and do your job because that's what you're hired to do, you clock out, and it doesn't go further than that. Certain TM's will only do a certain task if they're promised with some type of reward (a drink from starbucks, getting lunch bought for them, etc) and that needs to stop. A large majority of people on the GM team are full grown adults and we need to stop infantilizing them with treats and goodies.

It's been far too long that certain unmotivated TM's behaviors have been enabled and I'm a potential TL who knows that that system needs to finally come to and end, so as to make sure that we become an actual team that actively supports the store together.
My unfiltered and first reaction is that this sounds like it's more about wanting power or maybe even revenge than being a leader to me.

My unfiltered and first reaction is that this sounds like it's more about wanting power or maybe even revenge than being a leader to me.
I don’t care about getting revenge. I just want all of the team to start pitching in and not letting just one or two or the same people carry everyone’s load and constantly getting pulled from their work.

We’ve already had one GM team member lash out and quit because he was sick of being the only one to back up OPU and I honestly don’t see what’s so wrong with wanting to prevent something like that from happening in the future.

And how does all of that integrity jibe with you wanting to date TLs and TMs? Not downing workplace dating, hell I met my husband at my former job. But I didn't seek a promotion mainly to try and get with him, lol. Which is what you claimed when you first started posting.

And I said this before and I will say it again : a TL trying to change store culture will go over like a lead balloon without full ETL/SD support. If they aren't making an issue out of it, it is not an issue. Yes it sucks, yes it's unfair, but every store has those TMs that skate by, or that just aren't part of the queue when it comes to helping out in other areas. Wanting to become a manager so that you can start dropping the hammer down - well, good luck with that. They will use you to be the bad guy so that they can keep their hands clean and not incur any ill will.

And how does all of that integrity jibe with you wanting to date TLs and TMs? Not downing workplace dating, hell I met my husband at my former job. But I didn't seek a promotion mainly to try and get with him, lol. Which is what you claimed when you first started posting.

And I said this before and I will say it again : a TL trying to change store culture will go over like a lead balloon without full ETL/SD support. If they aren't making an issue out of it, it is not an issue. Yes it sucks, yes it's unfair, but every store has those TMs that skate by, or that just aren't part of the queue when it comes to helping out in other areas. Wanting to become a manager so that you can start dropping the hammer down - well, good luck with that. They will use you to be the bad guy so that they can keep their hands clean and not incur any ill will.
I’m not trying to “change store culture”.

We have our cleaning supplies right next to the front of store. And you want to know how many times our cleaning supplies DBO has gone to back up the lanes? Zero. It’s literally 10 feet from her, yet she never backs up and we have instances of a toy DBO coming up all the way from the back of the store.

That’s not changing store culture, that’s just wanting certain team members to stop being so lazy.

I’m not trying to “change store culture”.

We have our cleaning supplies right next to the front of store. And you want to know how many times our cleaning supplies DBO has gone to back up the lanes? Zero. It’s literally 10 feet from her, yet she never backs up and we have instances of a toy DBO coming up all the way from the back of the store.

That’s not changing store culture, that’s just wanting certain team members to stop being so lazy.
But if no one else is holding them accountable, what makes you think that if you become a TL, you will be able to change that?

ETA: In fact, I will bet that if you became TL you wouldn't want your people backing up because that pulls them from the floor and takes them away from getting their work done, which causes more problems for you. And if you are talking about TMs that aren't under your direct supervision, well that will just cause resentment amongst both the TMs and their supervisors.

Last edited:
But if no one else is holding them accountable, what makes you think that if you become a TL, you will be able to change that?
Because our essentials GMTL was an internal promotion who's close friends with our cleaning supplies DBO. They hung out together all the time before her promotion and I wouldn't be surprised if they're still secretly hanging out. I can guarantee that the essentials TL is just afraid of ruffling feathers and jeopardizing their friendship. I have no such conflicts of interest going on with any other GM Team members.

I don’t care about getting revenge. I just want all of the team to start pitching in and not letting just one or two or the same people carry everyone’s load and constantly getting pulled from their work.

We’ve already had one GM team member lash out and quit because he was sick of being the only one to back up OPU and I honestly don’t see what’s so wrong with wanting to prevent something like that from happening in the future.
Take the team you work with out of the picture and ask yourself "What about me makes me a good leader?" "How do I develop a great team that respects one another and their leaders?" Put your current team back into the picture and ask yourself "Do I have a positive attitude about my job and coworkers? Do others perceive it?" "Am I developing positive work relations with others, regardless of my personal feelings toward them?"

Okay. So all you've done is tell me that you are an expert at finding problems.

Managers don't want problem finders, they want problem solvers. Find out the whys and then go figure out how to fix it.

Go have some conversations with those team members. Politely ask them why they are struggling. Maybe it is laziness, or maybe there's a legit reasons why they're missing on their tasks.

Why is cleaning supplies dbo not backing up lanes? Maybe there's more going on that you're not aware of and maybe its something that YOU can help fix now. Constantly ask why and do it with a sense of curiousity not interrogation.

Once your leaders see you're someone who works with people to try and solve problems they're going to be much more likely to want to promote you. Not only that the team starts to buy into you as a leader which if you move into role makes that transition easier.

Because our essentials GMTL was an internal promotion who's close friends with our cleaning supplies DBO. They hung out together all the time before her promotion and I wouldn't be surprised if they're still secretly hanging out. I can guarantee that the essentials TL is just afraid of ruffling feathers and jeopardizing their friendship. I have no such conflicts of interest going on with any other GM Team members.
Let me ask you this: what answers are you hoping to get by asking these questions here? Has anyone given you advice that you agree with or that has been helpful? What is your motivation?

Okay. So all you've done is tell me that you are an expert at finding problems.

Managers don't want problem finders, they want problem solvers. Find out the whys and then go figure out how to fix it.

Go have some conversations with those team members. Politely ask them why they are struggling. Maybe it is laziness, or maybe there's a legit reasons why they're missing on their tasks.

Why is cleaning supplies dbo not backing up lanes? Maybe there's more going on that you're not aware of and maybe its something that YOU can help fix now. Constantly ask why and do it with a sense of curiousity not interrogation.

Once your leaders see you're someone who works with people to try and solve problems they're going to be much more likely to want to promote you. Not only that the team starts to buy into you as a leader which if you move into role makes that transition easier.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: a regular TM, regardless of what kind of power they may think they have, asking questions and trying to lead other TMs is not a good look. You will get push back, you will breed resentment. Unless a leader tells everyone else on the team that this person has the authority, people will be looking at them like "Who the hell are you? Handle your own business."

And then I didn't get asked to the prom!! It's just not fair!!! You were right about needing to work on your FOMO.

This is true for all stores. It is what it is, especially when there are younger employees on your roster. For some, this is their first job.

The best you can do is pick your battles in terms of what you want to coach them on and document everything. If the coachings add up to a warranted CA you can get with your ETL in GM or HR and if they're in agreement then draft it. Keep in mind, it takes a lot of coachings to get to the CA and even then it's not like these employees are going to be out the door immediately.

Coming from someone that does bust their butt at work and always has; I get what you're saying about wanting that change. The smart way to start to make that change is by observing behaviors and trying to amend them without seeming like you're being intrusive or stepping out of your place. You can be helpful without coming across as rude or demanding. Going in with "guns blazing" is just going to make you a bunch enemies. And if these kids don't respect you in any way, they're not going to do a damn thing for you.

Based off of what you said above, the way it would come across to me in the hiring process is someone who would be good at getting the job done, but not someone good at leading a team of people that need guided and, for lack of a better word, babysat. You can't run your department like a dictator and expect positive results. If I were your ETL I wouldn't hire you because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the fallout and stress because of your behavior.

Talk about positives, don't use your time to put down what your peers are doing. I'd suggest just saying what you've done and the impact you've had since they've been giving you added responsibility. Talk about your relationships with the team and how you are a go to person for questions and training opportunities from your peers.

DO NOT talk about what you see are problems or things the team is lacking. Make everything a positive and how you POSITIVELY impact the store on a daily basis.

For example don't talk about the team being content and standing around and not doing anything. Say how you like to lead by example and go above and beyond and hope that will gain the buy in and respect from the team and insipire them to do the same.

Like others have said it seems like you are in this for the wrong reasons and it also seems like you are on a power trip. Just some the of the words you use in your post leads me to believe this. If you were to use the term "full grown adults" and "infantilizing" in an interview with me, I'd write you off right then and there.

I've learned long ago that the team is more responsive to a leader they like, respect and can relate to than someone who is a hard ass or disciplinarian. I've had team members who were awful while working under other TL, but once they came and worked for me they were top performers.

Last edited:
How much more freight is the cleaning supplies DBO getting than the toys DBO. There are so many different factors that make it seem like others are lazy when they aren’t. For instance, in my store, Style supports the front lanes & GM supports OPU. Covid is still a thing and cleaning supplies in general are a day to day. Toys isn’t always busy and the freight isn’t heavy unless it’s a transition or Q4.

How much more freight is the cleaning supplies DBO getting than the toys DBO. There are so many different factors that make it seem like others are lazy when they aren’t. For instance, in my store, Style supports the front lanes & GM supports OPU. Covid is still a thing and cleaning supplies in general are a day to day. Toys isn’t always busy and the freight isn’t heavy unless it’s a transition or Q4.
I honestly think that chem and toys are near equal in terms of freight at our store. We’re fairly low volume.

I still don’t think it’s the end of the world if the chem DBO has to walk ten feet just to back up at the lanes for what’s realistically going to be no more than a few minutes.

Talk about positives, don't use your time to put down what your peers are doing. I'd suggest just saying what you've done and the impact you've had since they've been giving you added responsibility. Talk about your relationships with the team and how you are a go to person for questions and training opportunities from your peers.

DO NOT talk about what you see are problems or things the team is lacking. Make everything a positive and how you POSITIVELY impact the store on a daily basis.

For example don't talk about the team being content and standing around and not doing anything. Say how you like to lead by example and go above and beyond and hope that will gain the buy in and respect from the team and insipire them to do the same.

Like others have said it seems like you are in this for the wrong reasons and it also seems like you are on a power trip. Just some the of the words you use in your post leads me to believe this. If you were to use the term "full grown adults" and "infantilizing" in an interview with me, I'd write you off right then and there.

I've learned long ago that the team is more responsive to a leader they like, respect and can relate to than someone who is a hard ass or disciplinarian. I've had team members who were awful while working under other TL, but once they came and worked for me they were top performers.

Ok, how about I bring up my experience and tenure?

For example, I could bring up personal experience in feeling unsure and even afraid of approaching certain leaders. I’d want to let the team know that my door is always open and that I genuinely want to help them and take their questions and concerns with no judgement.

A TL giving orders to or trying to discipline another TL’s TMs is like slapping somebody else’s kid. Doesn’t go over well, and tends to bring out the mother/father bear in the affected TL. If a TM in another department is slacking or worse, tell their TL and let them handle it as they see fit. The last thing a new TL needs is to alienate their TL peers and cause drama for the store.

A TL giving orders to or trying to discipline another TL’s TMs is like slapping somebody else’s kid. Doesn’t go over well, and tends to bring out the mother/father bear in the affected TL. If a TM in another department is slacking or worse, tell their TL and let them handle it as they see fit. The last thing a new TL needs is to alienate their TL peers and cause drama for the store.
Pretty much agree. Only exception is the Closing Lead, because there may be certain things that need to get done or they may have instructions from other leaders about what they want from their people that night.

For example, I could bring up personal experience in feeling unsure and even afraid of approaching certain leaders. I’d want to let the team know that my door is always open and that I genuinely want to help them and take their questions and concerns with no judgement.
My responding question to your experience would be to ask how you overcame this, not how you would be different. Target has an open door policy so it is expected that you would and that the team is already aware that this is the policy. You would not be introducing some new concept here. (BTW... I have extensive leadership and managerial experience and have interviewed and hired many people. I had to fire a couple, but typically my hires were good enough that I didn't have to, so I'm not just making this up as I go.)

Target doesn't give a shit about your experience and tenure. This is evident by them hiring fresh out of college ETLs with zero experience. They know how long you have been at your store, no need to bring it up.

Also I wouldn't say the word afraid, say if I had any opportunities it would be challenging my peers. You need to learn how to word your answers and not make yourself sound bad or immature. Every post I've read of yours, that is the first thing that comes to my mind, immature.

Training meter, knowledge, metrics & your reviews. Tenure does not matter at spot.

The position hasn’t been posted on Workday or the careers site. My HR ETL just had me fill out this worksheet detailing my development plan and then he told me that I just have to wait for my SD to sit down and discuss it with me, whenever that is.
Then you aren’t getting the position.

As a team lead, I'll be honest with you. If there is an open position and it hasn't been filled yet after a few weeks, its because they already have a plan in place. If they were going to promote you to the spot that is currently avaliable, they've would've already told you. If you aren't currently on the bench, there is a very high chance that you will not get promoted right now. They are creating a developmental plan for you so you can showcase your skill and drive. You will have to pretty much prove to them that you have the full potential so that you can be put on the bench, so when a spot opens up you will already have the tools and will be fully prepared. So don't take it personally when they announce someone else. Be thankful that they are willing to develop you and work hard at it.

As a team lead, I'll be honest with you. If there is an open position and it hasn't been filled yet after a few weeks, its because they already have a plan in place. If they were going to promote you to the spot that is currently avaliable, they've would've already told you. If you aren't currently on the bench, there is a very high chance that you will not get promoted right now. They are creating a developmental plan for you so you can showcase your skill and drive. You will have to pretty much prove to them that you have the full potential so that you can be put on the bench, so when a spot opens up you will already have the tools and will be fully prepared. So don't take it personally when they announce someone else. Be thankful that they are willing to develop you and work hard at it.
That doesn't make any sense. Our store's GMTL 2 (home, stationery, bath, etc) role was left open for many several months after the last person left the role. She left in January 2021 and it wasn't filled until the following August by a TM at our store who was promoted. We went a whole seven months with just our inbound/GMTL and our GMTL 3 running the floor.

Back