Archived Low Cashier hours with mytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be afraid to hit the button on the register for back up cashiers. I think somehow it tells the system that we need more coverage during the times the button is pushed.

My STL said something about that a while back. I used the button all the time when I cashed, no matter how much it pissed off my GSAs.

Don't be afraid to hit the button on the register for back up cashiers. I think somehow it tells the system that we need more coverage during the times the button is pushed.

My STL said something about that a while back. I used the button all the time when I cashed, no matter how much it pissed off my GSAs.
I encourage my team to do this. I might be with a guest or otherwise occupied and it helps get my attention to shout out for X number of people when I'm able.

Most of the cashiers don't have walkies anyway, so it's not like they can call anyhow.

With My Time, I would not recommend using the additional cashiers button. A wise GSTL/GSA would try to minimize it's usage.

Why's that?
Care to elaborate?
Spot has decided what the "proper" level of staffing is based upon sales and items rung up and every 15 min is accounted for. Since they think that you are staffed correctly, my belief is that it will become a metric used against stores that use it frequently. They'll blame it the GSTLs since it must be their fault they couldn't make it work with the right amount of hours.

Why's that?
Care to elaborate?
Spot has decided what the "proper" level of staffing is based upon sales and items rung up and every 15 min is accounted for. Since they think that you are staffed correctly, my belief is that it will become a metric used against stores that use it frequently. They'll blame it the GSTLs since it must be their fault they couldn't make it work with the right amount of hours.

To be fair, there are a lot of GSTLs and GSAs who, for whatever reason, REFUSE to speedweave.

That's fine. Those GSTLs will have the button hit more often and spot will notice. That's why I said a wise GSTL will do their job and minimize the need to hit it.

That's fine. Those GSTLs will have the button hit more often and spot will notice. That's why I said a wise GSTL will do their job and minimize the need to hit it.

Oh ok. I thought you meant that a wise GSTL would just tell their cashiers not to hit the button. My bad.

Why's that?
Care to elaborate?

To be fair, there are a lot of GSTLs and GSAs who, for whatever reason, REFUSE to speedweave.

Speedweaving doesn't work how our lanes tend to stack up. Every new GSTL finds out fast our guests know to stack on every open lane.

Why's that?
Care to elaborate?

Speedweaving doesn't work how our lanes tend to stack up. Every new GSTL finds out fast our guests know to stack on every open lane.

Not to mention I would challenge you to "speedweave" when you have 1-2 cashiers and 10+ guests. See how far that gets you haha.

Speedweaving is more for super targets or when you have 5 or more cashiers.

I work in one that is a super. Speedweaving does not work in my store. The way our front end is designed it does not work. We will have 8-10 lanes open with 4+ each lane. Where are you weaving them to? Guest service is slammed and we will have 2 express lanes open for a total of 12 out of 18 lanes working. Subtract two that are always down to repair. This was my store most of yesterday afternoon. Two lanes that are not open but could be are not going relieve the stack of guests waiting.

Speedweaving is more than just moving guests, and I see many new GSA's struggle with it, as well as WHEN they should be doing it.

#1 Priority) Move guests to shorter-wait lines, if you have a guest waiting in a line that has a longer wait, but have another cashier who is finishing up, ask them if they'd like a shorter wait in the other line, and move them there. If guest is unhappy with wait, call a backup and offer them another lane to get checked out right away.

Secondary Priorities) Loop the fronts of the lanes, and then through the back of the lanes. If you see any speed bumps (hangers, stuff under carts, bulky items), help out with those. Collect baskets/strays/clutter and be interactive with your guests/cashiers. You are also reducing speed-bumps by just "being there" in-and-out with your cashiers; if they encounter a problem you are right there to fix it to keep things moving quickly.

During busy periods you should be speedweaving, but its less vital when its slow, and those are the times to get other stuff done.

Speedweaving is also only possible when the store doesn't treat you like an additional cashier. It's expected in my store that the GSA/GSTL is the first responder to backup when not assisting a guest some other way.

I work in one that is a super. Speedweaving does not work in my store. The way our front end is designed it does not work. We will have 8-10 lanes open with 4+ each lane. Where are you weaving them to? Guest service is slammed and we will have 2 express lanes open for a total of 12 out of 18 lanes working. Subtract two that are always down to repair. This was my store most of yesterday afternoon. Two lanes that are not open but could be are not going relieve the stack of guests waiting.
You only have 18 registers in a Supertarget????

You only have 18 registers in a Supertarget????

Yep we have been remodeled a couple times, space stolen for other things so its a choke point. One line of registers, not the staggered ones, which would help us but we don't have space for. The building has been blown out but where the TSC is you can't expand the front lanes. The PFresh remodel pushed market over meaning any space we had to add lanes was taken. So having cashiers on the registers to begin with is critical, cause it doesn't take long for it get out of hand.

Spot thinks sales floor is more important than frontlanes. Hours have been cut from frontlanes to help add hours to sales floor.

In my store it seems like it's the opposite. We get too many cashiers so we send them off to work on the floor as first responders to any backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back