Archived Made a HUGE Mistake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was my fifth day yesterday and I had a customer who paid in CHECK. Since there were so many guests coming, I was totally panicking and I think I gave back the check to her instead of keeping it. Do I have to keep the check or is it right to give it back? If not, should I tell the LOD duty when I go to work or the HR? What should I say? Will I get fired? Please help! I don't want to lose my job when I'm just starting.

You should not have given it back. In today's electronics age it's possible Target might be able to get paid...I don't know how it exactly works.
Since you aren't sure whether you gave it back or not probably best not to say anything. If they do need the paper and do an audit they might come talk to you about it. In which case I'd tell them that it's possible you misplaced the check feeling overwhelmed at points during that day.

Maybe someone from Front Lanes can tell you better. Hopefully it wasn't for a large amount.

Next time when you start to feel overwhelmed best to click the blinker and call for the supervisor. Tell them you're unsure of something during the transaction. Better to admit your unsure then rather than after.

Last edited:
It was almost 200 dollars. I can even remember the guest that she's also a team member. I'm not sure though if she's working at our store but I remember scanning her 10% discount. She really bought a lot that time.

That might even be better since they'll have her check number and employee number if there is a problem.
I'd think an employee who pays with checks would know not to accept it back. Likely you just had a brain fart and only think you gave it back.

Take a breath and breathe. It may not be anywhere near as bad as your thinking and worrying about it will only make you sick.
You can also tell them that you'd like to have a quick refresh on various points that you still feel unsure about.

Oh God thank you so much. I really feel like crying right now.

Tell your GSTL/GSA right away! Your LOD will not have any care in the world, as they don't know how cash office works.

If all stores are now electronically drafting all check transactions, Target will get their money. It will probably throw a flag on the cash office audit. Report it ASAP just to CYA. The check is only kept for audit and hardcopy purposes but cash office needs to account for it.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, the same thing happened recently at our store and it was one of our veteran cashiers; nobody's perfect!

As long as the check went through the check reader and was processed it doesnt matter if we keep it. At my former place of employment we always handed the processed check back to the customer, its just a voided check basically. They did this to avoid liability with stolen checking account numbers! But spot is different so i wouldnt make a habit of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back