Archived Making a jump from TM to ETL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been with Target for over 6 years now - I've created a pretty good reputation for myself. I've been primarily a BR Day TM, but also spent significant amounts of time on Flow, Sales Floor, Presentation, etc. A couple of years ago I was nearing my college graduation and my STL and ETL HR at the time put heavy pressure on me to consider becoming an ETL as a campus recruit right out of school, especially since I had a few years of Target experience already. At the time, I simply wasn't ready. I still had a naive "grass is greener" approach and wanted to attempt to find something in my undergrad field, despite the economy being totally shipwrecked.

Anyway, fast forward to today, where I'm still with Target and have nothing going on the other career front. I realized it might be time for me to take advantage of the opportunities that are right in front of me, and spoke to my STL about moving up in the company. He said if you're serious, we can get you to Captain something outside of your work area to gain some total store visibility and leadership experience, introduce you to the DTL and prepare you for ETL interviews. I was shocked, because I had always heard that if you weren't a campus recruit, it was virtually impossible to become an ETL without following an appropriate hierarchy to get there (IE: TM > TL > SrTL > ETL).

Has anyone ever made the jump from TM to ETL before or known of someone who has? I know it is all about who supports you and who has influence, and I would certainly say that my STL does - but its just something I've never heard of - although it would be great if it worked out that way!

if i had my degree already i would have skipped from TM to ETL.. i've seen it happen a couple of times.

Good luck!

I've been with Target for over 6 years now - I've created a pretty good reputation for myself. I've been primarily a BR Day TM, but also spent significant amounts of time on Flow, Sales Floor, Presentation, etc. A couple of years ago I was nearing my college graduation and my STL and ETL HR at the time put heavy pressure on me to consider becoming an ETL as a campus recruit right out of school, especially since I had a few years of Target experience already. At the time, I simply wasn't ready. I still had a naive "grass is greener" approach and wanted to attempt to find something in my undergrad field, despite the economy being totally shipwrecked.

Anyway, fast forward to today, where I'm still with Target and have nothing going on the other career front. I realized it might be time for me to take advantage of the opportunities that are right in front of me, and spoke to my STL about moving up in the company. He said if you're serious, we can get you to Captain something outside of your work area to gain some total store visibility and leadership experience, introduce you to the DTL and prepare you for ETL interviews. I was shocked, because I had always heard that if you weren't a campus recruit, it was virtually impossible to become an ETL without following an appropriate hierarchy to get there (IE: TM > TL > SrTL > ETL).

Has anyone ever made the jump from TM to ETL before or known of someone who has? I know it is all about who supports you and who has influence, and I would certainly say that my STL does - but its just something I've never heard of - although it would be great if it worked out that way!

I went seasonal hire to TM to TL to SR TL to ETL interview in 2 weeks. I did that in under 2 years. Its definitely possible.

I'm in the same position. I haven't been here nearly as long, less than a year, but I graduated a year ago and I look around and think there's no reason I can't do what they do.

"He said if you're serious, we can get you to Captain something outside of your work area"

I have never understood this BS. If someone has a degree and *actually has working experience in retail*, STLs want to start them as "captains"..... Something any TM who is a high school drop out could easily get by showing a slight bit of effort on their part?

Yet, someone who has a degree and *has zero retail work experience and possibly no working experience at all* starts at ETL?

IMO, they are screwing with you macoo2. They probably have zero intention of actually moving you to ETL or even TL.

It is possible to move from TM to ETL, but on the one or two times I ever saw it happen, it required so much time (i.e. 2+ years) and so much ass kissing during that time, that it probably wasn't even worth it to begin with. Not to mention that, statistically speaking, your odds of being an internal promotion to ETL are slim to begin with even if you do the appropriate amount of ass kissing.

Last edited:
I don't want to discourage you, but it's all politics. If the STL will vouch for you, then yes, you can do it. But unless your STL goes to bat for you, it is impossible. And the support of the ETL's really doesn't matter (other than convincing the STL to say yes) because the DTL makes the decisions. It really doesn't matter HOW good of scores you have, or what you've done in the past.. Somehow Execs/STL's can only remember short-term events lol (prob from all the drinking you have to do to keep your sanity in those roles). Also, when you break down the pay for ETL's hour by hour, they're not making much at all. You'd make more as a Sr.TL in the $20/hr range than an ETL working 60hrs+ a week (more during 4th quarter). Plus when you clock out, you're DONE!! Being salaried sucks.. you have to take work home with you and constantly check emails. When I think about it, there is nothing positive about being salaried other than the money the company is saving by having you work more and more for the same pay lol

"He said if you're serious, we can get you to Captain something outside of your work area"

I have never understood this BS. If someone has a degree and *actually has working experience in retail*, STLs want to start them as "captains"..... Something any TM who is a high school drop out could easily get by showing a slight bit of effort on their part?

Yet, someone who has a degree and *has zero retail work experience and possibly no working experience at all* starts at ETL?

IMO, they are screwing with you macoo2. They probably have zero intention of actually moving you to ETL or even TL.

It is possible to move from TM to ETL, but on the one or two times I ever saw it happen, it required so much time (i.e. 2+ years) and so much ass kissing during that time, that it probably wasn't even worth it to begin with. Not to mention that, statistically speaking, your odds of being an internal promotion to ETL are slim to begin with even if you do the appropriate amount of ass kissing.

I completely agree with this. Your qualifications have little to no value. It's all about if they like you or not, or how many hoops you are willing to be strung along too. I have seen them dangle carrots like this in TMs faces, for just TL positions. Think about how many ETLs have ZERO work experience that come in.

And a response about being salaried and checking emails - i have NEVER received an email response to even urgent matter from any ETL, ever. Interesting though currently all the ETLs have their TLs text them updates and whatnot on their personal phones. Fine for ETLs, but isn't this a no-no for TLs?

my ETL goes to a different city about 4 hours away on her day off every single time and takes quite a bit of time off and if i need anything i email her and she gets back to me. I can call her also but i try and only email her because of the reason she's gone.

One of my SrTLs gets her emails forwarded from her @target.com email to her gmail account.

I began as a TM and because I had a degree already my ETL encouraged me to interview for ETL, which I did as part of the college-recruit program. I got quite far in the interview process but have very little leadership experience so I was offered a TL position instead, which I accepted.

At first I was disappointed, because obviously it's not nearly as much money, but now I'm quite happy about it. The biggest jump from being a TM to being part of the leadership team is the paperwork. Even just as a TL you have a ton of it. I think if I had started as an ETL I would have been overwhelmed.

I'm on track to become an ETL within the next year or two, which works well for me. That being said, I have a lot of great mentors and ETLs on my side, which makes a huge difference. My best advice is to find an ETL at your store who will vouch for you. Chances are you won't be promoted straight from TM to ETL - if I were you, I'd try for TL or Sr.TL first. Be patient, and STUDY for your interviews. I can't stress that enough. It doesn't matter how much your ETLs like you if you have an awful interview, because it's all points-based, and favoritism can only help so much.

lynn9779, that's exactly the path I ended up on as well. I agree with your points. glassdoor.com will be a good friend-the questions on the website are very close if not exactly what you will be asked in the TL/ETL interviews.

Then, the dtl comes in, you are called to the stl office. Then, ask the srtl all the etl interviews questions unprepared. That happened at my store twice.

Last edited:
It is possible but very rare. I have seen TLs moved up to ETL...but its usually because they are buddy-buddy with them.

Majority of the time, Target sees that anyone with a degree other than Business or retail related is not going to stay with the company for long term. I had a BS degree in multimedia with aspirations of working my why up to Corp. But I was never given the chance to push myself in my last years with the company.

I had an ETL at one time tell me not to settle with Target, and try to get out of the store/retail. Target usually goes for college recruits so they can mold them. The age of having any degree but still working hard was over.

It is possible but very rare. I have seen TLs moved up to ETL...but its usually because they are buddy-buddy with them.

Whether you think so or not, being able to get along with your peers is a huge deal. So, the TL's that are buddy-buddy with the ETL's are the ones that are trying to do the "act one role up" routine. That is a big deal with spot. Dress one role up. Talk one role up. Act one role up.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the candid ones, even though they are negative. I didn't just fall off the Target turnip truck yesterday, like I said I have over 6 years Target experience now and I am a fairly observant and intuitive person - I've seen all of the things that make Target the big bad scum of the Earth company many of you think it to be, so I understand the pitfalls of a position like ETL. More of a question of curiosity as to if the promotion in question is even possible. My STL is one that I have seen go to bat for many people in my position, but as I said the path was usually TM > TL > ETL at minimum.

And I agree with insiteful1, people may appear to be just a bunch of butt kissing retards, but usually they are just playing the Target game to their advantage; it may seem silly but it is the smart thing to do in a company that, like all others, is about who you know and internal politics.

I was in a similar boat and move to ETL, though I had a brief stint as a TL. I had worked for Target for about 7 years -- mostly in the backroom/instocks/flow while working on my degree at the same time. Most of the leadership would always bring the subject up with me, but for the most part, I brushed it off because, like you, I figured once I graduated I'd drop Target and move on. Flash-forward to a few months after graduating and I had had zero luck getting a job anywhere else. My TL at the time approached me about an open Hardlines TL position and encouraged me to apply for it, which I eventually did figuring if I was going to still work for Target, might as well make as much money as possible, right?

I took the position and was now TL of Domestics and Seasonal. This was during the Halloween -> Christmas transition and by the time New Years came around, I was already on my first ETL interview. The whole interview process took about 2 months and I was prepped pretty heavily by the STL and ETLs in the store and officially got offered the ETL position less than 3 months after being promoted to a TL.

I was an ETL Sales Floor for about a year before being relocated to a ULV Logistics fix-up role. Long story short, as of about 7 months ago, I no longer work for Target (by choice) but I have nothing but positive things to say about how they treated me and valued my career track. Even after leaving, my STL from the ULV store still calls to see how I'm doing and I've also gotten calls from the HRBP letting me know that if "things aren't greener on the other side", I'd always be able to come back.

My advice to you to move up quickly.

• Always think of the "total store" vs. getting caught in your individual role and help out everywhere and anywhere to soak up as much information as you can.
  • Watch your ETLs and their routines/leadership skills and don't be afraid to challenge them - they'll appreciate it and it actually looks good for them when you show that leadership strength. One of the big focuses is TM development, this gives them something to report on their Leadership Statuses.
  • Kiss ass when necessary -- sucks to say, but even if your STL likes to talk about the most uninteresting topic for 45 minutes at a time, pretend you're interested
  • Introduce yourself to the DTLs/HRBP/APBP when they walk the stores and tell them about yourself and what you do more-so than just your core roles (how it also impacts the total store).
  • Own something. If something isn't working right or there's something you think your store could do better, don't complain about it like most others will; own it. Develop a plan, idea, or both and talk to your TL/ETL about it.

Of course there's other things, but those are the things that I would say really helped me along the way.

Yes thanks - that was a wonderful answer and very much the kind of reply I was hoping to find! Appreciate the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back