Archived Making a run for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

doxie71

Former Perishables Assistant
Well, it's official. I put in my 2 weeks notice today, so will basically be finishing out the rest of the month. I managed to get in with Trader Joe's and already had orientation. Hoping it's gonna be better, it definitely seems like less stress.

It's hard for me to leave so many of my friends at Target, but the place itself is driving me insane. I'll pop in here from time to time to see what's going on. Thank you all for the knowledge and advice during my time here as a Target employee.

Congratulations for getting on at Trader Joes.
I've heard good things about working there.
Let us know what it's like.

Don't be a stranger, we're happy for you.
Another bird from the nest, sniff.

That's the way I felt leaving Target. I miss the people I worked with but not all the other stuff going on. Of course, I've seen a few of my former coworkers at Hobby Lobby and I'm friends with a lot on FB and thru email.

Good Luck! I have heard trader joes is a good place to work, but I dont know how true that is. It has to better than Target.

We do not have a traders joe here, but we are getting a costco set to open next summer and I am definitely applying.

We have sams club here and I have thought about going there esp since a former TL i like is a Tl there. He has pretty much offered a job to me if i want it. I am just not sure if it would be a smart move. I dont know if it would be any better there. Dont really want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

So far Trader Joe's has been amazing. Training was 2 weeks of working someone (although they did cut me loose a few days early cause I knew what I was doing). Everyone does everything. Even the managers spend time on register and help unload the trucks.

Basically when we come in, theres a schedule grid, but it's more of a list of everyone working that day, and blocks for each hour the store is open. You look at that to see what you will be doing. Unless you're in produce or doing demo, you likely aren't going to be doing the same task all day long, which is nice. You may be on register for an hour or two, then do customer service, then help put out product, maybe back on the register after that. And you are either primary or non-primary for register. Primary, you are on register. Non-primary, you are working on other tasks, but respond if backup is needed.
When I started, I was provided with 10 tshirts, 5 long sleeved shirts, and 2 sweatshirts at no cost to me. I can actually wear shorts at work if I want to. Everyday during our huddle we have a "huddle bite" which is a product from the store that we get to sample and discuss.
Oh and my absolute favorite. The ENTIRE store gets to participate in team building. The other store in my area is having their store party in a couple weeks, and people from my store are going to work at their store that night so they can all hang out and have a good time. They will do the same for our store. I remember one night at Target we had the ETL HR from a nearby store close our store because leadership all went to a baseball game for team building. It sucked being at work while knowing the people who berated us everyday were out having a great time.

I don't have to worry about making sure meat, dairy, produce and the freezers all look good by myself anymore. Now there's a whole team for that. If anything, I may have a small section to focus on at night. My stress levels have gone WAY down and the people there are all incredibly helpful and fun to be around.
I still stop at Target from time to time, and am always more and more satisfied with my decision.

Glad to hear things are going well.
TJ sounds like a really decent place to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back