Archived Market Question Regarding Milk Drainage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interrobang

Assistant Banana Orderer
I walked into work today and pfresh smelled awful. I told the LOD, and he mentioned that my team lead and SFT have been pouring "some kind of liquid" through the drainage to clean out the (now spoiled) milk drippings. I won't see my CTL until this weekend and our SFT is, for whatever reason, splitting his time between my store and another Spot in the area so I can't ask either to show me how it's done. I want to take care of this. Are they using Eliminex? I hadn't been taught how to clean this type of drain and don't even know where to pour the cleaner.

I've been dealing with this issue lately too. The containers from our new milk vendor leak a ton. 1st off the drain was clogged and my SFT spent a long time clearing it. We have 1 drain for a 5 door block of coolers. I don't think you're going to be able to tackle flushing/cleaning without him there in case yours are clogged too. Anything you pour in will just pool up and sit there. After unclogging, we 1st tried flushing with hot water and scrubbing under all the bottom shelves. Helped a bit, but there was still odor. A few days later I used a vinegar hot water combo. Left a weird vinegary/sweet smell for a couple weeks. Better than sour but still weird. Sour smell is coming back but I discovered that the inside of the bottom shelves are filled with styrofoam, which is absorbing the milk because the shelves are coming apart a bit. I've asked for 5 new shelves to be ordered.

When you flush them you need to call the company that monitors your cooler temps ahead of time and let them know what you're doing. The temps are going to rise and the alarms will go off. Also be sure you unplug each fan and obviously plug them back in when you are done. You'll have to do all this when the store isn't open. It took me about 2 hours each time.

I don't know about Eliminex because I don't have floor drains in my ambient room, so I never have used it. My SFT probably would have suggested it though if he thought it would have helped.

Bottom line is Target SHOULD have regular cleaning maintenance done in PFresh by an outside cleaning company but never will. Have you ever looked underneath your open air produce shelves? There's a fricking science experiment going on there. I've showed it to my STL and ETL but they didn't seemed concerned. They'll wait until the motors are overgrown with whatever is growing under there to react I'm sure!

Eliminex is used for cleaning mold/mildew build-up around the drain drop (that recessed area with the little cage lid). It's not good for smells or clogs.
Your SFT should be running a snake for any clogs before putting anything in there for smell.
Our guy would run bleach followed by boiling hot water to kill odors but that's not considered best practice.

That smell will linger for a while sadly. It doesn't help that it hadn't been done since the remodel or so I was told. Makes me afraid to actually clean my drains properly. But basically eliminex, wait 60, rinse with hot water if you got it, then sanitizer and let air dry. That is for the Dairy coolers though. You'll have a trough drain style or one where you can actually access the drain.

I've been dealing with this issue lately too. The containers from our new milk vendor leak a ton. 1st off the drain was clogged and my SFT spent a long time clearing it. We have 1 drain for a 5 door block of coolers. I don't think you're going to be able to tackle flushing/cleaning without him there in case yours are clogged too. Anything you pour in will just pool up and sit there. After unclogging, we 1st tried flushing with hot water and scrubbing under all the bottom shelves. Helped a bit, but there was still odor. A few days later I used a vinegar hot water combo. Left a weird vinegary/sweet smell for a couple weeks. Better than sour but still weird. Sour smell is coming back but I discovered that the inside of the bottom shelves are filled with styrofoam, which is absorbing the milk because the shelves are coming apart a bit. I've asked for 5 new shelves to be ordered.

When you flush them you need to call the company that monitors your cooler temps ahead of time and let them know what you're doing. The temps are going to rise and the alarms will go off. Also be sure you unplug each fan and obviously plug them back in when you are done. You'll have to do all this when the store isn't open. It took me about 2 hours each time.

I don't know about Eliminex because I don't have floor drains in my ambient room, so I never have used it. My SFT probably would have suggested it though if he thought it would have helped.

Bottom line is Target SHOULD have regular cleaning maintenance done in PFresh by an outside cleaning company but never will. Have you ever looked underneath your open air produce shelves? There's a fricking science experiment going on there. I've showed it to my STL and ETL but they didn't seemed concerned. They'll wait until the motors are overgrown with whatever is growing under there to react I'm sure!
Yes definately while closed, because the smell is pungent. i would try to look on workbench and see if tgey have tge proper procedure there.

I used to think a TM was shitting himself while we were pushing pFresh. Smelled like a soiled diaper. Then I realized it was the milk coolers. The entire pfresh area smelled like fart for weeks until they cleaned them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back