Archived Market Teams: Is it OK to eat QMOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the execs in my store think it's ok (off the record) to eat QMOS. Our STL has clearly said it is not OK. He doesn't even let us bring blemished bananas to the breakroom. I support his decision, because eating QMOS is a slippery slope that ends in theft and unsanitary working conditions.

Yesterday I walked in on someone from our market team eating QMOS in the back room. The item hadn't even been QMOS'ed yet! This is not the first time it has happened. Here is why I think it isn't OK:

1. It isn't fair to the rest of the team, who are not allowed to help themselves. I once had to turn away a penniless employee who was asking for a banana because she didn't have any money. It was sad.

2. It is unsanitary. If you're eating in the coolers or ambient room, you're breaking health codes. If you take it up to the break room, then the rest of the team is going to see you helping yourself from the back room, and they will do the same.

3. It is stealing time, if not food. What is that TM doing, eating when he should be working?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
My understanding is that no you can't eat QMOS.
You certainly can't eat in the coolers or ambient room, that is a major no-no.
The store could be fined out the ass for that kind of thing.

Certain ETLs condone it. My FA used to push all the out of date cookies and chips to the breakroom. But later reversed anything out of date is to be thrown.

Last edited:
Some of the execs in my store think it's ok (off the record) to eat QMOS. Our STL has clearly said it is not OK. He doesn't even let us bring blemished bananas to the breakroom. I support his decision, because eating QMOS is a slippery slope that ends in theft and unsanitary working conditions.

Yesterday I walked in on someone from our market team eating QMOS in the back room. The item hadn't even been QMOS'ed yet! This is not the first time it has happened. Here is why I think it isn't OK:

1. It isn't fair to the rest of the team, who are not allowed to help themselves. I once had to turn away a penniless employee who was asking for a banana because she didn't have any money. It was sad.

2. It is unsanitary. If you're eating in the coolers or ambient room, you're breaking health codes. If you take it up to the break room, then the rest of the team is going to see you helping yourself from the back room, and they will do the same.

3. It is stealing time, if not food. What is that TM doing, eating when he should be working?

What do you guys think?

Oddly enough I had this same convo with other TMs last week. Apparently, DTL seems to think it doesn't matter since its either going to be donated or in the trash. My position is that it's not okay. I don't care what your execs think, it is still theft. Even if it's been marked out and ready to BR discarded.

That food goes to those less fortunate than we are. Eating QMOS in my book is a huge no no and as long as I'm running pfresh it's not going to happen on my book, not as long as I'm a PA. You're responsible for it until it goes in trash or on harvesters truck.

I will issue a CA by proxy of my CTL or ETL if I catch anyone doing that.

My understanding is that no you can't eat QMOS.
You certainly can't eat in the coolers or ambient room, that is a major no-no.
The store could be fined out the ass for that kind of thing.

Emphatically, this. If you're that poor that you can't afford to feed yourself, there are state programs in place for that -- food stamps.

It doesn't matter, unless of course you take the job too seriously.

Sure. Except that you could be held accountable if some TM were caught doing that, since it's your area of responsibility. It does matter if you want to keep paying the bills.

And if the TL knows they have staff who are having problems feeding themselves it shouldn't be too much problem to do a little creative staff feeding.

Eating QMOS in my book is a huge no no and as long as I'm running pfresh it's not going to happen on my book, not as long as I'm a PA.

http://www.bangersandnash.com/hey-fool/not-on-my-watch-the-mark-wahlberg-meme/

16jldhg.jpg

Joking aside, I think some situations it's ok. I would be opposed to a TM taking cereal dated 5 months out and putting it into the break room to eat. However, if they want to take a few jugs of OJ that was just QMOSed because it was two days out and put it into the break room for the team, then by all means do it. It's not as black and white like some of you are putting it.

Last edited:
Sure. Except that you could be held accountable if some TM were caught doing that, since it's your area of responsibility. It does matter if you want to keep paying the bills.

Why would anyone hold you accountable if someone else was caught eating QMOS?

If someone returns an item and its going to be tossed, would you be okay taking that home? It really is the same thing. You didn't buy it, you shouldn't take it. Also leaders should not give Qmos items to the team. It is to be QMOSd because the quality is not good enough for our guests, so why would it be okay for the team. Example: there are too many cookies at Food Cafe when it closes,the LOD gives them to the team. Fast forward a couple days, the team is hungry, make a few extra cookies knowing you will not sell them but you can Qmos them for the team. Nope wrong wrong wrong. There is an account specifically designed for perks for team members.They should be using that.

I have asked several times for QMOS to be made available for tms in the breakroom,and yes I know every single reason for why it should be allowed and every reason for why it should not be,it has always been rejected as against policy.However the store has recently began a policy that ensures that there is always pbj and bread available in the b/r,does this happen at other stores? We have a lot of tms who need this and I think that is a good thing.

I'll buy the TM a banana or lunch or whatever from pfresh area if their financial situation is that bad. It contributes to sales thus increasing payroll and feeds them. I dunno. Stealing is stealing, no matter the technicalities.

Why would anyone hold you accountable if someone else was caught eating QMOS?
Because I don't trust my etls any further than I can throw them. They're always bringing lunch from restaraunts and eating together in break room. It's not like they're sensitive to the fact that their TMs are getting paid sub par wages that doesn't allow them to feed themselves.

Oddly enough I had this same convo with other TMs last week. Apparently, DTL seems to think it doesn't matter since its either going to be donated or in the trash. My position is that it's not okay. I don't care what your execs think, it is still theft. Even if it's been marked out and ready to BR discarded.

That food goes to those less fortunate than we are. Eating QMOS in my book is a huge no no and as long as I'm running pfresh it's not going to happen on my book, not as long as I'm a PA. You're responsible for it until it goes in trash or on harvesters truck.

I get what you're saying, but QMOSed food doesn't get donated, not when its expired, at least. If its damaged for other reasons, then yes, possibly.

We have PBJ in the breakroom most days, its lovely. We used to get expired pfresh stuff when we first opened pfresh but it was stopped because the powers that be were afraid if someone got sick they'd sue. We are allowed to have food that is delivered to our store that isn't ours. We once got a case of stop n shop ice cream. Yum!

Out of date food can be donated. There are guidlines on workbench under food donations. Corp allows it escpecially for dry goods. Check food donations guidlines you will be surprised to see what we can donate.

Hmm...Maybe its a state restriction then? There was message board sent out maybe 2 years ago saying we had to stop donating expired food. It was such a big deal at the time I didn't consider that it may just have been my state. We donate hardly any food anymore.

AFAIK its okay to donate QMOS out of dates, we do it at my store.

Thanks to all the replies so far! In the instance with the poor TM who wanted a banana, I did offer to buy her some food, but she only had a few minutes on her break.

Today she is alive and well.

I was told that QMOS'd food should not be eaten by anyone. There's a reason it was QMOS'd in the first place - if it's not good enough for the guest, how is it good enough for the team? Food for the team should be requisitioned, not QMOS'd.

Official answer: No you can't.

If I saw anyone doing it: Whatever.

Would I do it? It's not worth losing my job over it if someone's going to be that ridiculous over something that was going to get tossed anyway (if it's a day away from going bad it's not getting donated, let's be real)

Some participating food banks will take food that is less than a week out of date. Great when you can actually catch it in time with SDA and it can be QMOSed as opposed to having to be defected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back