COVID-19 Masks and gloves

So we were told they didnt know when we would get gloves or masks and the SD said other stores take priority because we are ULV. They also have us working in close proximity to where its not possible to be 6ft apart (sfs packing). This place has consistent safety issues anyway but they are doing almost nothing more than spraying stuff with peroxide every hour. I went to the news and other media outlets already about this but is there a corporate line or an executive relations office? My SD will give a bs corporate PR spill is why i won't handle it at that level

We have had gloves throughout. We started to get masks about 5 days ago. They are kept under lock and key. You have to find the key holder and then you get one per shift. It isn't even widely known that you can get a mask.

I went to the news and other media outlets already about this but is there a corporate line or an executive relations office? My SD will give a bs corporate PR spill is why i won't handle it at that level
Your concerns are pretty serious. Our store does have gloves, and I'm really surprised yours apparently has none. If you do contact mass media and social media outlets, which is certainly a way to get the word out, I'd be reluctant to mention it here at TBR because this TBR is a public web site (not membership-restricted for viewing). There are a few Corporate spies "social media monitors" who read these posts, and if your particular store happens to be on the receiving end of bad COVID-19 publicity they might be able to "out" you. It might not end well.

As for the so-called Integrity Hotline, it "might" work except that it's very likely you will face retaliation from your own store (these "anonymous" complaints seem to become de-anonymized) and the retaliation won't be pretty. As for calling the CEO's office, there's a risk they'll just transfer you to the Integrity Hotline, though there is a very slim chance you could speak to the right staff member who might be empowered to look into the matter correctly and completely respecting your privacy. In all of this, there's a very high risk of severe retaliation against you in a form which would be extremely degrading. Probably your best bet is keep reaching out to external media, but just don't tell us about it?

I went to the news and other media outlets already about this but is there a corporate line or an executive relations office? My SD will give a bs corporate PR spill is why i won't handle it at that level
One of the daily Store Director Updates specifically mentions that if a news/media outlet wishes to talk to them that they’re to be directed to Media Relations. And do you wanna guess what they’re going to say..?

Also, you aren’t getting supplies based on store size, it’s based on highest impacted areas. If there is a city listed as an epicenter in your district you’re going to get them faster than if you’re state only has 48 confirmed cases. We have had several TMs whip up face masks and wear their own. Some even made a bagful for as many TMs as possible. The masks are all unique and TMs are using them as another form of self expression and I’m loving the anime smirks to the dr. Seuss to the mashups of florals and plaids and polka dots.

Your store also received communication about how to make homemade face masks and should have left those out for TMs. But if I printed and posted every page they’ve given to the stores about covid-19 I could line a hallway and wrap it around between offices upstairs. All of the information is on workbench and available to anyone to read, even the daily store director updates.

Our store is located where facial covering for employees to wear is required. we still dont have masks as of this date. we just have the cloth type they provided. hmmm makes you wonder when these “supposedly public released masks will be provided” will come. well at leasts the cloth is better than nothing. but it looks ridiculous and you see other businesses provide their employees decent masks. my coworker has a second job and she has to get an extra mask everytime she works there so she can wear it at Target (sighhhhh)

Many businesses in may area have had the plexiglass up at registers for several days or more than week, yet at Target which made a big announcement we have nothing. Don't make big announcements. Just do it.
The big announcements get that all good PR that Spot apparently values much more than they value actually following through on anything. ☹️

Many businesses in may area have had the plexiglass up at registers for several days or more than week, yet at Target which made a big announcement we have nothing. Don't make big announcements. Just do it.

except for all the stores that have gotten them (350+) and the 450 more that are getting them this week and the 450 more next week, no stores have plexiglass. it's true,

they will come when they arrive. some stores already have them. dumb conspiracy shit like this doesnt help anyone
as much as i love to be positive, it’s hard to believe Target when you don’t feel like there is an urgency when you are one of the stores that are required to wear them. i can’t help but feel like a debbie downer especially when target is always the last one to follow other stores. it’s kinda like let’s see what costco or walmart are doing it and will follow suit.

I don't know. I think the excuse of sending the masks to hot spots is a crock of shit. I hope NYC has them.

One of the daily Store Director Updates specifically mentions that if a news/media outlet wishes to talk to them that they’re to be directed to Media Relations. And do you wanna guess what they’re going to say..?

Also, you aren’t getting supplies based on store size, it’s based on highest impacted areas. If there is a city listed as an epicenter in your district you’re going to get them faster than if you’re state only has 48 confirmed cases. We have had several TMs whip up face masks and wear their own. Some even made a bagful for as many TMs as possible. The masks are all unique and TMs are using them as another form of self expression and I’m loving the anime smirks to the dr. Seuss to the mashups of florals and plaids and polka dots.

Your store also received communication about how to make homemade face masks and should have left those out for TMs. But if I printed and posted every page they’ve given to the stores about covid-19 I could line a hallway and wrap it around between offices upstairs. All of the information is on workbench and available to anyone to read, even the daily store director updates.

Do you know how many cases an area needs?

Do you know how many cases an area needs?
No idea. My state is in the top 5 and we have quite a few stores in our district in our states epicenter. We just received 2 cases of masks that were stored away from the idiot ETL that gives them away. Over half of my store has been using their own masks and even sharing patterns to sew their own.

I don't understand. You received two boxes that are supposed to be given to TMs but you are keeping them away from the ETL that will actually give them. What are you saving them for?

One of the daily Store Director Updates specifically mentions that if a news/media outlet wishes to talk to them that they’re to be directed to Media Relations. And do you wanna guess what they’re going to say..?.....
Like just about any employer in America, Target's rules do not allow an employee to speak with news media (about anything related to Target) unless the employee's boss gets permission from the corporate PR department. This is why so many of the news items you'll see are from "anonymous" sources.

With very rare exceptions - such as the now-disgraced Enron - corporate leaders do not necessarily want health & safety issues or other serious controversies "covered up" within their company. The problem is we are dealing with human tribalism, inertia, resistance, office politics etc.

Government agencies - such as your state's worker safety department (Labor & Industries, etc.) - tend to be fairly good at maintaining anonymity of sources when investigating a complaint, but even here there is some risk the employee could be "outed" by corporate investigators.

As for those brave enough to go public with government agencies or news media/social media under their own name, you will have to be very desperate to expose the situation.

Look into any ways you can communicate privately within Target before going outside, but be aware that even then you may end up on the receiving end of unmerited discipline. Just don't waste your time with the hotline, even though I honestly believe that the company's senior leadership (and Board) wants the hotline to be effective at solving serious problems or even corruption early on. There's just too many coincidences of people calling the hotline only to face severe retaliation consequences.

My county just imposed mandatory face masks.

I don't understand my reaction to it. I lost my job, but I can understand it. Hate it, but understand it. I can no longer eat out with my daughter, which was a fun activity, but I can understand. I can't continue whittling away at the things I planned on doing at least once before leaving, but I understand. I hate shopping for toilet paper but the fault lies solely with the hoarders, I can understand the non-hoarders and business' frustrations and the inability to prevent hoarding from people that will hide their identity for round two and three and four of the day.

But masks? Now they are mandating that I put something over my mouth and nose? That I have to have the icky feeling of having something there, and it be ugly to boot (since when is anything covering a face not ugly)? And it's not even to protect me, a mask actually heightens the risk. If I absolutely need to go out, I have to cover half my face because it protects the rest of the world. The rest of the world gets protection in case I'm too stupid to know I'm sick while at the same time my risk is raised slightly. That I'm being forced to wear something I can't stand the thought of. What's next, burqas?

The intellectual side is understanding. Normally when intellectual side and emotional side are in disagreement I can hear both sides and muscle past emotional side. This time though intellectual side is whispering and emotional side is screaming so loud I have to force myself to listen, normal day I can't hear past the screaming.

It makes me so mad at the world it feels like when I have a cold. A cold, I'm mad at the world for catching it and a perverse part of me wants to pass it on as revenge at the world, so I live my life with the usual touching of things to sate my feelings of anger.

Seriously, put stuff over my mouth and nose, inherently ugly since nothing should cover the face, binding the breathing and make it icky wet feeling...the emotional side says that's way too far to demand. The emotional side says that social distancing and isolation is a failure because people are doing fake social distancing and no isolation, if I doing it correctly there would be no need for me to wear a mask.

Why am I so knee jerk that a mandatory mask is way, way too far past what is reasonable?

Back