Archived Merry Christmas, Mr. Cornell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you know that your inevitable super bonus for this year was made off of the backs of your hard working team members who are breaking down crying every day because you can't open the purse strings and staff your stores. While you seemingly steer the company towards an iceberg, we're all trying to right the ship to no avail. All we have seen this year is how little you care about your employees, as evidenced by the fact that you think everything is fine because you're letting us wear jeans. Catered food for your hard working teams during the holidays? Nope. Budget was cut. Extra pay for the weekends we're working harder than ever? Nope. Payroll was cut.

All I see is Target telling the people who work the hardest for it and care the most about it that they do not matter anymore.

So, Mr. Cornell, I hope your bonus keeps you nice and warm this year. I also hope you enjoy your golden parachute when you leave this year before the negative results of your shit ass leadership come to bear.

Merry Christmas Mr. Scrooge.

The lack of bonuses is what pisses me off the most. Hell, even if it's only a $50 gift card for every TM with perfect attendance. Something is better than nothing. The store lead wants us to work hard so he can get a nice bonus. Nope. I won't break my back for you.

Does each store get $500? Or just one employee in the entire company? How do they decide who gets it??

The tm who won it at my store is very deserving of it.

Yeah, our HRBP sent the winning name at our store to our STL, luckily the winner was a hard worker with good attendance.

Also... In regards to the original post about no catered food, that can’t be pinned to the CEO’s back, that’s your store leadership overspending in other months and not saving budget to use in Q4. Still sucks, but I thought it pertinent to point that out.

Last edited:
The lack of bonuses is what pisses me off the most. Hell, even if it's only a $50 gift card for every TM with perfect attendance. Something is better than nothing. The store lead wants us to work hard so he can get a nice bonus. Nope. I won't break my back for you.

It kind of sucks though that I had perfect attendance all year but had to call off for an emergency with my dad. I guess it's more important to be there for our guests in Q4 than any other time of the year.

Yeah, our HRBP sent the winning name at our store to our STL, luckily the winner was a hard worker with good attendance.

Also... In regards to the original post about no catered food, that can’t be pinned to the CEO’s back, that’s your store leadership overspending in other months and not saving budget to use in Q4. Still sucks, but I thought it pertinent to point that out.

The CEO is ultimately responsible. Isn't that why he gets paid millions and millions? I understand he isn't personally making each decision at the store level, but it's the burden he chose to take on

The $15 isn’t until 2020 so there’s technically 2 years left for this promise to be fulfilled (all of 2019 and until 12/2020).

Yeah, 12/31/2020. What a joke. It's such a publicity stunt. Corporate released it to the tv news. But no mention of the hours cut to pay for it. It's deception at its finest. I'd expect nothing less. Because let's face it .... all these CEO's are crooks. They move from organization to organization pillaging and taking what they can, as fast as they can while trying to save face. They have no long term investment in the company. I'm sure in their minds, they justify somehow. Well, so do most criminals. Frankly, above the store level, I have zero respect for management or corporate. When I see our DTL come in, I want to lead her by the nose around the store and say ... all this is okay? Fire tunnels blocked? Bales outside in the rain dissolving into the sewer? We have no hours now to do the work. How can we possibly have the hours at $15 an hour. But you know what .... I can play their game. I'll take advantage of every time a manager isn't keeping track of my work to slack off. And if there are people here that don't like it ... I really don't care. I make it look like I work hard, and after all, isn't public image the important part? If the raise to $15 an hour while cutting hours has taught me anything, it's that. Get what you can while doing as little as you can and making shit look like gold.

Half of this god damn thread.

b55.jpg

All of the fools who supported Bernie Sanders and his plan for $15 minimum wage were never smart enough to see the consequences.

If a company increases wages, there are 3 ways that company can handle that.

#1 - Accept the wage increases and resulting lower profit. Target can not do that because they are a publicly traded company that has shareholders who will not accept declining profits and declining stock prices.

#2 - Increase revenues to offset the wage increases. There are 2 ways to increase revenues - raise prices or sell more products. First, Target can not increase prices because they will lose sales to Amazon, Walmart, and other retailers. With their smartphones, a customer can see who has the lowest prices and order the products with free shipping. Second, Target can not sell more products just by paying retail employees more because customers will buy what they need regardless of what the cashier, stockperson, etc. is being paid. Nobody is buying more toilet paper or food or towels or clothes just because the cashier is making $15 instead of $10. Customers won't boycott the self-checkouts to go to a cashier in order to force Target to hire more cashiers.

#3 - Decrease costs to offset the wage increases. There are many different costs a company can attempt to decrease like overhead, rent, shipping, cost of goods, etc. The easiest is to cut payroll hours. Instead of having 15 employees making $10 per hour, Target has 10 employees making $15 per hour.

Another negative consequence of the wage increase to $15 per hour is wage increases to store management. I don't know what the leads make but as the team members make more money, the difference between a lead's pay and a team member's pay goes down. Target risks losing leads if the difference in pay is not worth the aggravation of being a lead. For example, if a team lead is making $16 per hour and the team members is making $10 per hour, that is a significant difference. If the team lead is making $16 per hour and the team member is making $15 per hour, why would anyone want to be a team lead.

All of the fools who supported Bernie Sanders and his plan for $15 minimum wage were never smart enough to see the consequences.

If a company increases wages, there are 3 ways that company can handle that.

#1 - Accept the wage increases and resulting lower profit. Target can not do that because they are a publicly traded company that has shareholders who will not accept declining profits and declining stock prices.

#2 - Increase revenues to offset the wage increases. There are 2 ways to increase revenues - raise prices or sell more products. First, Target can not increase prices because they will lose sales to Amazon, Walmart, and other retailers. With their smartphones, a customer can see who has the lowest prices and order the products with free shipping. Second, Target can not sell more products just by paying retail employees more because customers will buy what they need regardless of what the cashier, stockperson, etc. is being paid. Nobody is buying more toilet paper or food or towels or clothes just because the cashier is making $15 instead of $10. Customers won't boycott the self-checkouts to go to a cashier in order to force Target to hire more cashiers.

#3 - Decrease costs to offset the wage increases. There are many different costs a company can attempt to decrease like overhead, rent, shipping, cost of goods, etc. The easiest is to cut payroll hours. Instead of having 15 employees making $10 per hour, Target has 10 employees making $15 per hour.

Another negative consequence of the wage increase to $15 per hour is wage increases to store management. I don't know what the leads make but as the team members make more money, the difference between a lead's pay and a team member's pay goes down. Target risks losing leads if the difference in pay is not worth the aggravation of being a lead. For example, if a team lead is making $16 per hour and the team members is making $10 per hour, that is a significant difference. If the team lead is making $16 per hour and the team member is making $15 per hour, why would anyone want to be a team lead.

Addressing your last idea about team lead pay: I think this is exactly why they have started expanding the use of "captains." Such crap. "Oh, you're an SFS captain." Really? Thanks. Extra pay for it? No. Gosh Target, extra responsibilities with no extra pay. Wow! What a great idea. Next thing you know we'll be asked to volunteer our time for our poor struggling company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back