Archived Military moving long distance. Transfer help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill of All Trades

hang on, I've got a blinker
Hey,

My husband is in the military and we're moving in the spring. I'm a GSA by title, though I'm fairly specialized to the cash office. I want to transfer to the Target near the base we're moving to. What's the best way to make contact? Is there a way for me to get an email address for the ETL-GE? I have a few months to go before we leave the area we're in now but I know transfers can be tricky and I want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Definitely call them. Let them know the areas you are trained in and make sure you tell your HR so they can make contact with their HR ASAP to ensure there's a spot for you since hours are going to be cut.. E-mail is kind of informal so I personally wouldn't do it.

Oh great. Just found out that I can't transfer while under any corrective action, and I'm on a final for attendance. my STL said it's possible to be off a final after 6 months- better hope he doesn't leave it up to my GSTL. She LOVES the power trip of seriously screwing people over with corrective actions.

Can't transfer while under corrective action?
Well that's gonna be a hella long LOA then & I sure wouldn't leave it up to the GSTL so you might double check with HR.
It's not like they can stop you from going albeit, worse scenario you'd have to quit & reapply.
If that's what it boils down to, I'd consult the 'going out with a bang' thread to find something special for your GSTL.

The first thing another store will ask regarding a transfer TM will be "How is their attendance?"

They're not going to want anybody on their team that is going to NCNS or call out. Honestly, I really expect your transfer to be denied. Even if you have a good reason for the final CA, as soon as they hear the words "attendance" and "corrective action" in the same sentence, it'll be denied.

Find out the terms to your CA. They may give you an alternative in order to lift it instead of waiting till the end of the time period.

I will say start applying for other companies in that area. You may find out you might get a better job and benefits than Target. Cash Office and GSA exp. will definitely help. But I would almost say resign if you are still on CA near the time you have to move.

The first thing another store will ask regarding a transfer TM will be "How is their attendance?"

They're not going to want anybody on their team that is going to NCNS or call out. Honestly, I really expect your transfer to be denied. Even if you have a good reason for the final CA, as soon as they hear the words "attendance" and "corrective action" in the same sentence, it'll be denied.

What a bleak take on things. It's almost like you don't know the whole story. But thanks!

I'll definitely be looking at other jobs once I get to my destination (and even a bit before) but I want to have a job already lined up before I move. Getting a job on post is certainly an option, but those jobs have a lot of competition even with spouse preference and the hiring process takes months with all the red tape and background checks. It's also one of the country's larger military bases, so the job market is going to be even more saturated with applicants than in most places. I have had one lucky break- my STL (the person who told me a CA could be as little as six months) actually know the STL of the store I want to transfer to. He says they hire a ton of spouses which tells me that they probably take a fair number of transfers. My STL said that if I can swing getting the ETL-HR to lift my CA, he'll arrange things. I'm pretty hopeful, since I get along well with the ETL-HR. It's really just the one GSTL who isn't such a fan of me.

I have a lot to fall back on. I have a good relationship with and am rehireable at the largest foodservice contractor in the world and also a multinational hotel group, as well as having left an Army NAF job on good terms a few years ago. I'll definitely resign at Target if I'm still on CA a month before I leave- I wouldn't risk being non rehireable.

I'll definitely be looking at other jobs once I get to my destination (and even a bit before) but I want to have a job already lined up before I move. Getting a job on post is certainly an option, but those jobs have a lot of competition even with spouse preference and the hiring process takes months with all the red tape and background checks. It's also one of the country's larger military bases, so the job market is going to be even more saturated with applicants than in most places. I have had one lucky break- my STL (the person who told me a CA could be as little as six months) actually know the STL of the store I want to transfer to. He says they hire a ton of spouses which tells me that they probably take a fair number of transfers. My STL said that if I can swing getting the ETL-HR to lift my CA, he'll arrange things. I'm pretty hopeful, since I get along well with the ETL-HR. It's really just the one GSTL who isn't such a fan of me.

I have a lot to fall back on. I have a good relationship with and am rehireable at the largest foodservice contractor in the world and also a multinational hotel group, as well as having left an Army NAF job on good terms a few years ago. I'll definitely resign at Target if I'm still on CA a month before I leave- I wouldn't risk being non rehireable.

The store taking the transfer is going to ask for your attendance report. Then they will decide if your attendance is a problem or not.

If a store takes a lot of transfers, then generally that is less in your favor, as a bigger pool means less of a chance for you.

Whenever I had a transfer come in, I would ask the hr for a cop of their attendance for the past 6 months, their past review and I would call the person and talk to them.

If the attendance was bad, normally I just denied it unless there was a good reason they had on the call, and it showed on the report it had been resolved.

For example I had a flow transfer who was on corrective for attend who had an ill relative for about 3 months. When she said that was resolved, her attendance was stellar, and the report matched up so I accepted it.

Thanks. You know, I was really not seeing things clearly. I had started to think that I was worth something. Better to put in my two weeks now and temp as a bartender until the move, then find something more permanent. I had started to explain how my actual attendance record is better than most GSAs at my store, but that is even more evidence that I need to get out. It shows that either I'm being held to a different standard, which is unfair, or that at least one TL or higher sees me as so worthless as to find any excuse to get rid of me.

I've seen denying transfers as ways to get rid of TMs on more than one occasion. Relatively recent example:
A couple of years ago, we had a TM who had tried to transfer to our store from another state. She had nearly flawless attendance, decent annual reviews, and interviewed ok but her TL at the other store considered her a "drama queen". She was denied the transfer.

Thanks. You know, I was really not seeing things clearly. I had started to think that I was worth something. Better to put in my two weeks now and temp as a bartender until the move, then find something more permanent. I had started to explain how my actual attendance record is better than most GSAs at my store, but that is even more evidence that I need to get out. It shows that either I'm being held to a different standard, which is unfair, or that at least one TL or higher sees me as so worthless as to find any excuse to get rid of me.
I know it can be hard to hear, but it's easy to see the other side since I'm living it. We took a tm on corrective action for attendance. One of our tls spoke for her and assured us she was a changed tm. Guess who still had attendance issues? We had already told her no based on attendance. We regularly deny other transfers with those issues. It's not worth risking.

It's not that it's impossible, it's just highly unlikely. Especially near base with so many competing. They don't have to risk a transfer with attendance issues in their past. There's likely to be a handful without they can choose instead. Better than most at your store is possibly not as good as others. I have had plenty of gsas who rarely called out. Like only in event of a blizzard called out.

I wish you the best, and I hope you still try for a transfer. If your stl is behind you the gstl isn't going to be able to block removing the final warning. And the fact that they mentioned it could be removed early is a really good sign.

Of course it's hard to hear, because this chorus of "you are unreliable and have problems with attendance" is not reality-based. I missed four shifts in 2015, out of more than 260 shifts. Three were legitimate severe illnesses and I called out more than 2 hours ahead each time. One was me misreading the schedule and getting a NCNS- totally my fault and I deserved the CA, though if they had bothered to call me I would have made it in. I think I was late by 30 min or less two times last winter due to weather. As for other minor latenesses, I can only remember two in the last four months or so- both under ten minutes due to car accidents (not mine) on my commute.

I can point to many, many more instances when the LOD was late arriving in the morning and I had to wait 15-20-30 minutes for someone to let me into the CO.

I have been absent/late far less than the GSTL who insisted on writing me up.

This same GSTL also told me "Yeah, I know but he gets a lot of redcards so we can cut him some slack" when I told her that a certain cashier has developed a habit of showing up 15 minutes late for every single shift.

The ONLY reason my attendance is under so much scrutiny is that only one other person in the store is trained in the CO. And that person is usually scheduled close to 40 hours a week for GSA and SD shifts. If I call out, my store has to call someone in from another store to count the cash that day. We have five GSAs and only two of us are CO trained at all because we "don't have that kind of a training budget" I've made the mistake of becoming indispensable and now I'm expected to be perfect. The irony of it all is that the reason they put me in this position in the first place is because I am very reliable and rarely call out.

The sad fact of the matter is that none of us really matter that much to our stores. And trying to sell basically another store about another person in red and khaki....for the most part, we're a dime a dozen. We all want to think the store can't go on without us. But any one of us could put in our two week notice tomorrow and the store will adjust. And Target treats us accordingly.

Of course it's hard to hear, because this chorus of "you are unreliable and have problems with attendance" is not reality-based. I missed four shifts in 2015, out of more than 260 shifts. Three were legitimate severe illnesses and I called out more than 2 hours ahead each time. One was me misreading the schedule and getting a NCNS- totally my fault and I deserved the CA, though if they had bothered to call me I would have made it in. I think I was late by 30 min or less two times last winter due to weather. As for other minor latenesses, I can only remember two in the last four months or so- both under ten minutes due to car accidents (not mine) on my commute.

I can point to many, many more instances when the LOD was late arriving in the morning and I had to wait 15-20-30 minutes for someone to let me into the CO.

I have been absent/late far less than the GSTL who insisted on writing me up.

This same GSTL also told me "Yeah, I know but he gets a lot of redcards so we can cut him some slack" when I told her that a certain cashier has developed a habit of showing up 15 minutes late for every single shift.

The ONLY reason my attendance is under so much scrutiny is that only one other person in the store is trained in the CO. And that person is usually scheduled close to 40 hours a week for GSA and SD shifts. If I call out, my store has to call someone in from another store to count the cash that day. We have five GSAs and only two of us are CO trained at all because we "don't have that kind of a training budget" I've made the mistake of becoming indispensable and now I'm expected to be perfect. The irony of it all is that the reason they put me in this position in the first place is because I am very reliable and rarely call out.

We don't mean to sound like we're calling you unreliable. We're just stating what most ETLs at other stores are going to see. Which is this:

A TM they have never met before, never talked to before, and know nothing about, that is on corrective action for attendance issues. They don't know why and there's a good chance they won't even bother to look further than that.

It's shitty, it's unfair, and it's how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back