Archived Minimum Wage Increase Convos...Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRPrincess

HR TM
So starting Jan. 1st, the minimum wage increased by a $1.00 in our city. We were sent a list of team members impacted and were told to have conversations with these TMs to let them know their rate was going up. However, our STL basically wants it to sound like Target is giving them a raise. So the conversations have been going something like this: “We really appreciate all the hard work you do etc... blah blah...here is what you were making and here is what you are making now.” No mention of minimum wage increase. So some team members are under the mistaken impression that this was performance based. In my opinion, presenting it this way is a little dishonest and I refuse to deliver the conversations in that way. What do you guys think?

If a TM is gullible enough to believe that, oh well...

Well of course there are many TMs who see right through it. But, like most stores, the level of intelligence of our team members do vary greatly. Regardless, they still deserve to be spoken to honestly about stuff like this. I feel like Target is taking advantage of the fact that a lot of their employees are uneducated and not particularly smart.

I guess it's better than a chef I worked for who told us that everyones pay was going up because of the raise in the minimum wage and not because we deserved it.
The owner of the restaurant felt that if the lowest paid went up so should everyone else.
The chef was pissed.

Sounds just the opposite of SpotThink.

Our min went up too here in NY. A lot of people were given a talk to let them know what was going on but I was skipped over I guess. I knew it was happening so no big deal. I just logged on to see my last pay statement online. I went up from 12.84 to 14.00. I’m cool with that.

Yeah, $13.50 for NYC and $11.75 for other areas. Should be hitting $15 for the minimum wage on December 31st, 2018 for NYC while other areas are quite a bit lower at $12.75.
Only a year to go lol.

The number one reason not to do it your stls way is that its a slap in the face to those who weren't under the minimum and are getting no raise.

Target has long wiped out raises for existing team members. I came from a 15.45 dollar an hour store and it was upsetting to those who had worked for the company 10 years to have a 16 year old cart attending making the same as them.

I don't think it's better. It's better for employees to know when they're being recognized for their hard work. If they aren't, it lets them know they aren't valued by their employer and they're better off finding another job where they are valued for their hard work. Lying to them takes their power away.

There's the obvious political aspect to it as well: instead of letting those employees know that it was the government that was looking out for them, and not Target, you're pushing them to the right by making them think that corporations do the right thing by choice -- clearly not the case here. They're more likely to not be in favor of regulations going forward because personal experience has taught them that regulations aren't needed -- and it's all based on a lie. "Well, Target gave me a raise because I worked so hard for it. What has the government done for me? Nothing."

I probably should have used the sarcasm font.
Agree with you on the "what has government ever done for me".

I came from a 15.45 dollar an hour store and it was upsetting to those who had worked for the company 10 years to have a 16 year old cart attending making the same as them.

This is another thing that isn't unique to retail. One of the recommendations made (generally speaking) to earn more is to move companies every couple of years, because corporations will give you tiny annual raises forever but if your role or the market changes they are sloooooow to catch up with existing employees, while n00bs enjoy those changes right off. I'm at a point in my (day job) career where the gov't isn't stepping in, but I've had to have bosses fight pretty hard a couple of times on my behalf to get market value adjustments or even adjustments to where my peers were at, because I've been at my company so long and started from a position one step above the mailroom. I could probably be making more elsewhere, but there are other benefits to sticking around where I'm at right now, and that's going to be the type of math any Target employee will have to do, too. Maybe if you jump from Target to another retail chain you'll be able to get a dollar or two an hour jump because you're new and have experience in retail, and it'll be an awesome move. But there are some risks to that, too, if you're happy at Target.

Tradeoffs, I guess. Everything is about tradeoffs these days.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, I agree with you.

What a terrible idea from your STL! What makes them think that the lie is foolproof? Team Members talk to each other. The ones who do know about the city minimum wage ordinance will tell the ones who didn't know about it. Anyone who truly believed that the raise was performance-based will eventually realize that what was told to them by HR was just BS. Then, it just really kills the trust.

Also, being caught in this lie will only make the HR Team look bad. Nobody is going to know that the STL had anything to do with it. HR is going to get blamed for carrying out the STL's orders. What a crappy situation that your STL put you and your team in!

Oh, forgot to say, I also agree that it's shady to couch it in performance-related terms. The times I've had adjustments it has been noted that it was adjustments, not strictly merit increases. There are ways to couch such increases that reflect reality without stating outright "the gov't made us do it" or other things that make everyone involved feel like crap about it.

partner with your ETL HR. if they agree and want the conversation to go that way then they are not doing their job and tell them your are uncomfortable with that delivery tactic and that they can deliver it.

HR should deliver those kinds of increases anyway.

Technically a $1 minimum wage increase cancels out whatever their yearly pocket change raise was going to be. That doesn't make it right though, especially when the raise happens before the minimum increase so it doesn't stack. :rolleyes:

Technically a $1 minimum wage increase cancels out whatever their yearly pocket change raise was going to be. That doesn't make it right though, especially when the raise happens before the minimum increase so it doesn't stack. :rolleyes:

The nice thing about January and February raises is you get that raise and then a second raise in May since team member raises kick in late.

Can't wait to get my 25 cents!!!

SODKE8g.gif

The number one reason not to do it your stls way is that its a slap in the face to those who weren't under the minimum and are getting no raise.

Target has long wiped out raises for existing team members. I came from a 15.45 dollar an hour store and it was upsetting to those who had worked for the company 10 years to have a 16 year old cart attending making the same as them.

And we almost had a war when the newbies were coming in a couple years back at $13 dollars and some of us who had been there years were below that.
The nice thing about January and February raises is you get that raise and then a second raise in May since team member raises kick in late.

Well they stack but my store made sure to short anyone who got a minimum bump to a very low yearly increase.

The sad thing is that what you say is true.

The Greatness that that is Me only commands a mere two bits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back