Archived Minor work injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute I hit my hand and might have *minorly* dislocated my finger. Shook off the pain as my shift was FINALLY over and told my ETL and ETL HR as I headed out the door and came to an immediate care clinic to get it taken care of.

The receptionist asked when/where it happened and had me fill out a workers comp form.

Question is, what do I do/what happens next since it happened at work?

@Malkiacera - Whenever you get injured and may require medical care, let the LOD know. The LOD (or any ETL) will fill out an incident report with you. Then, you need to call Sedgwick (leader or HR can provide you with their phone number) and they will give you more info on where you can go to seek medical attention so that your medical bill is covered.

Thank you for all the advice. Got forms from HR and *coocoo cachoo* it’s Sunday and place is closed so trying to find another place.

It's the hospital's job to do the testing, not the patient's reminding them to do so.

Would Target ever require it if the state didn't? If the state doesn't require it for a workman's comp claim, how would the hospital/clinic know to test?

It's the hospital's job to do the testing, not the patient's reminding them to do so.

And again you're completely wrong...

The hospital doesn't question you when you are admitted if you need to take a drug test for work.

Your LOD hands you a form to take with you to the hospital, unless they forget

Would Target ever require it if the state didn't? If the state doesn't require it for a workman's comp claim, how would the hospital/clinic know to test?

Targets policy is that team members who suffer injuries at work requiring medical attention need to take a drug test within 24 hours.

We have had a lot of team members decline medical attention knowing they can't pass a drug test.

We have had a lot of team members decline medical attention knowing they can't pass a drug test.

And this would be why such a policy is exceedingly shitty. If they don't require you to take a drug test on hire, it seems stupid to require it of all TMs who have injuries. It seems like this, too, could open them up to liability or fines if TMs were regularly avoiding medical treatment for work-related injuries for fear of losing their jobs.

And this would be why such a policy is exceedingly shitty. If they don't require you to take a drug test on hire, it seems stupid to require it of all TMs who have injuries. It seems like this, too, could open them up to liability or fines if TMs were regularly avoiding medical treatment for work-related injuries for fear of losing their jobs.

Don't forget spot has expensive lawyers.

This is why they have every team member sign the drug test consent during the application. A lot of people e-sign it and don't read it but it says you have to take a drug test if there is an accident or reasonable suspicion or you risk termination

Because of my meth and heroin habit, I'm extra careful at work. ;>)

Yes, well everyone has expensive lawyers and yet even they have their blind spots.

Liability aside, I still say it's a shitty policy. I had to take a drug test for my day job (an office job, no less), so it's not like it's a new concept or anything, but I think it's supremely shitty that someone who gets hurt on the job are immediately suspected of being on drugs, while there's no similar automatic suspicion that, say, the employer was condoning, allowing or requiring unsafe behavior.

It doesn't sound like OP's situation was either, just a random accident, which is why TMs should be able to have a random accident without the assumption that it was their fault, any more than it should be assume to be Target's fault.

Repeated similar incidents, yes--in that case a drug test (or triggering an OSHA investigation, perhaps) might be warranted, but this shit is so very one sided, and it pisses me off.

Not a fan myself. Especially for team members who have been through enough and a drug test is insult to injury.

Update: So it had been three hours passed since the incident and my HR saw that every contracted place was closed besides an ER 45 minutes away from home. While I’m allowed to see my own doctor they are closed Sunday as well so I am going back to the first urgent care I was sent to first thing this morning and so I can get this drug test out of the way.

I had leadership at one time that made FATMs document if they got burned by the pizza oven or popcorn oil.

I think it might depend on the type of injury and the discretion of the store. I've been injured and sent to a doctor on three different occasions and was never required to take a drug test. One drs office even called the store to ask if I needed to and the store was like um no....

Don't forget spot has expensive lawyers.

This is why they have every team member sign the drug test consent during the application. A lot of people e-sign it and don't read it but it says you have to take a drug test if there is an accident or reasonable suspicion or you risk termination

Have to?

I can only give my experience.

I strained my back about 2 years ago putting up shelves. But the pain didn't escalate to the point I needed attention for almost 4 days. I thought I had a kidney stone.

The pain crested at 2am on Friday. I had to roll out if bed and be driven to the emergency room.

No drug test. I called work and told them the diagnosis.

When I went back in Monday, my ETL filled out the paperwork. I got paperwork from Sedgewick to fill out.

No bills to me.

So every case seems as if it's different.

Ill have to post the best practice for team member injuries when Im in the office again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back