Archived Missed Cartwheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you officially help a guest that forgot to scan their Cartwheel prior to completing the transaction? I've been told something different every time I ask a different GSA. One just straight up didn't know, one said she checks every item the guest had on Cartwheel and manually calculates what their savings would have been then gives it back via "missed coupon" function, one refunds the entire purchase then rerings it making sure to scan Cartwheel.

I need to know what's the most efficient way to fix this common problem.

thanks @HRZone

same day, do fix a mistake, wrong payment, scan cartwheel, repay.

after same day, manually calculate item discount and do wrong price for each item (missed coupon works too and is faster if it's a lot of items but wrong price ensures if they return the item they'll get back what they paid and not more). or if it's just one-two items, returning and rebuying works.

after 72 hours too bad.

ASANTS, of course. if it's that common of a problem (I don't see it at my store more than once a week if that) you should have cashiers remind guests "are you using cartwheel"... that's also a great lead in for RC.

you should have cashiers remind guests "are you using cartwheel"... that's also a great lead in for RC.

...imagining the checkout taking three times longer per guest because the guest needs to download cartwheel, log in, be taught how to use it, scan all their items and then I can finally ring up their items...

No thanks, I'll stick with only teaching it on the floor in order to tempt a guest to put more stuff in their cart.

Small asterisk about voiding the payment. This can be troubling if the guest paid credit. The funds don't return immediately, so sometimes there are instances where the card is declined when the guest tries to pay again. Worth warning the guest about if it's a large transaction.

The whole cartwheel thing is a mess, and truth is, there's a lot of different ways to go about it. So it's worth considering what's best on the circumstances. I think officially, we're supposed to adjust each item one by one. (which is total BS of course)

...imagining the checkout taking three times longer per guest because the guest needs to download cartwheel, log in, be taught how to use it, scan all their items and then I can finally ring up their items...

No thanks, I'll stick with only teaching it on the floor in order to tempt a guest to put more stuff in their cart.

You must be one of those cashiers that sends the Guest to Guest Service when all they wanted was a gift receipt. Lol, I mean, I kinda agree with you, but I'm also heavily triggered by it!

The coupon policy says we don't take missed Cartwheels, but I've never seen a store go by that. The best way for the guest I've found is to do a missed coupon after figuring what the discount is for the items on cartwheel.

The coupon policy says we don't take missed Cartwheels, but I've never seen a store go by that. The best way for the guest I've found is to do a missed coupon after figuring what the discount is for the items on cartwheel.
Well we have a button in price change for missed cartwheel so....

I agree going item by item same day only is probably the most "brand"

Small asterisk about voiding the payment. This can be troubling if the guest paid credit. The funds don't return immediately, so sometimes there are instances where the card is declined when the guest tries to pay again. Worth warning the guest about if it's a large transaction.

Warn regardless of large or small. You never know when you are dealing with someone who has their bank account balance, expected transaction costs and date of direct deposit planned down to the penny and doesn't have enough in the account to be charged $20 twice. It doesn't matter if it is debit or credit, the merchant services system will hold those funds for 72 business hours. Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays do not count for those business hours. And it takes an act of god for the hold to be lifted early.

The whole cartwheel thing is a mess, and truth is, there's a lot of different ways to go about it. So it's worth considering what's best on the circumstances. I think officially, we're supposed to adjust each item one by one. (which is total BS of course)

The one time I had that happen the GSA told me to go one by one.

You must be one of those cashiers that sends the Guest to Guest Service when all they wanted was a gift receipt. Lol, I mean, I kinda agree with you, but I'm also heavily triggered by it!

Seeing how I don't have a clue as to how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is finalized, um, yeah, I'd be sending them your way. :oops: I'm really, really accurate when handling actual cash, I can fake being an extrovert and manage small talk the entire transaction so the guests leave with a smile on their faces and I can tell reluctant guests a very close estimate of potential red card savings. Beyond that, I majorly suck as a cashier. Good thing I was hired for the sales floor. Fake extrovert and a head for figures works great when upselling based on what they are looking at or have in their cart.

Warn regardless of large or small. You never know when you are dealing with someone who has their bank account balance, expected transaction costs and date of direct deposit planned down to the penny and doesn't have enough in the account to be charged $20 twice. It doesn't matter if it is debit or credit, the merchant services system will hold those funds for 72 business hours. Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays do not count for those business hours. And it takes an act of god for the hold to be lifted early.

The one time I had that happen the GSA told me to go one by one.

Seeing how I don't have a clue as to how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is finalized, um, yeah, I'd be sending them your way. :oops: I'm really, really accurate when handling actual cash, I can fake being an extrovert and manage small talk the entire transaction so the guests leave with a smile on their faces and I can tell reluctant guests a very close estimate of potential red card savings. Beyond that, I majorly suck as a cashier. Good thing I was hired for the sales floor. Fake extrovert and a head for figures works great when upselling based on what they are looking at or have in their cart.

200w.gif

im hurt without that tag ;P but yea with cartwheel same day just do worng payment, scan it and have them repay for it. with after the same day either do the calculations and do it as a missed coupon or just return the items if there isnt many and have them repay for them and scan the cartwheel barcode. i really wish they would add a way to do a missed coupon strait from cartwheel instead of having to do the math on it but there is a lot everyone wants to change about the POS that will never happen lol

Seeing how I don't have a clue as to how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is finalized, um, yeah, I'd be sending them your way. :oops:

It's quite simple. Scan receipt, it'll give you a few options- select gift receipt option, enter VCD number (which is located on the receipt), enter how many gift receipts you want to print. Just in case you have to do it sometime soon.

It's quite simple. Scan receipt, it'll give you a few options- select gift receipt option, enter VCD number (which is located on the receipt), enter how many gift receipts you want to print. Just in case you have to do it sometime soon.

It's awesome when they have like 15 items, but only want two receipts or something.

same day, do fix a mistake, wrong payment, scan cartwheel, repay.

This.
Be very VERY careful when having to 'repay'.
As others will attest, that debit charge could trigger an overdraft & the guest would be on the hook for the resulting fees.
Likewise if they're close to their credit limit & the re-do gets declined they'll have to use another charge account which could be particularly vexing if they were using their redcard to save the 5%.
Either way, re-ringing for a missed cartwheel could cost them far more than they were attempting to save.

We do them one by one as a missed coupon, we can't do the wrong price button because we are a bounty state. Would be so nice if we could just read an it.

If you're going to void payments, make sure their method of payment was not a visa giftcard... oh my god that is annoying.

I voided a payment for a woman who was touring from Brazil and she discovered cart wheel but forgot to scan it at SCO so I said "oh I can just void it for you, add cartwheel, and you can repay!" and so I voided it. Little did I know, she used a visa travel giftcard, and the refund was going to take 4-5 business day and none of my leaders knew what the hell to do. We just gave her a giftcard for her original payment and she would still get the refund. She left with her items free. This happened to me twice, but 2nd time wasn't for missed cartwheel.

I'm not sure if it's suppose to be common knowledge to not do that, but I'm kind of stupid, so just in case anyone is like me and forgets to make sure what their original form of payment was when voiding, this is what happened to me.

It's not. Guest Service training is very "sink or swim." Even leaders know little of GS, unless they started there.

Probs, I feel like what we did was the only thing we could of done. If I would of been more conscious I would of just added the discounts one by one. Big learning experience for me.

Yeah and then when it's a red card purchase, you have to return the item and then rebuy it in order to get the cartwheel. Major pain tbh and not really cool for the guest to have so many different transactions on their billing statements like @redeye58 said. I think it's alot better to just do a missed coupon and call it done.

It is an individual thing....depending on how they paid and how many items were missed on cartwheel. Let's face it, sometimes they have it in their cart and the discount is not removed after it is scanned. If it is one item I might do a wrong price and and hit missed cartwheel. If there are several, I might return and resell, especially if they use their redcard since you can't do it in one transaction. I just do what works in the situation and for the guest. Sometimes you just have to be creative.

If you're going to void payments, make sure their method of payment was not a visa giftcard... oh my god that is annoying.

I voided a payment for a woman who was touring from Brazil and she discovered cart wheel but forgot to scan it at SCO so I said "oh I can just void it for you, add cartwheel, and you can repay!" and so I voided it. Little did I know, she used a visa travel giftcard, and the refund was going to take 4-5 business day and none of my leaders knew what the hell to do. We just gave her a giftcard for her original payment and she would still get the refund. She left with her items free. This happened to me twice, but 2nd time wasn't for missed cartwheel.

I'm not sure if it's suppose to be common knowledge to not do that, but I'm kind of stupid, so just in case anyone is like me and forgets to make sure what their original form of payment was when voiding, this is what happened to me.

Wait. If I understand your story correctly, she left the store with items for free? Am I getting that correct?

Wait. If I understand your story correctly, she left the store with items for free? Am I getting that correct?

Also worth mentioning, make sure they have the right item too. Sometimes I do a "mock" transaction first where I scan the item, and then their cartwheel to confirm it's even for this item. If it works, great. If not, I take a closer look at the terms and conditions.

Cartwheel was responsible for so much fucking anxiety last holiday season. I could cry thinking about how it's going to be this year. Get this shit together Target! Stop half-assing all the shit you release! There is no reason why cartwheel shouldn't be able to be scanned after a transaction within a certain time limit. It's one fucking barcode! You have an entire world full of IT people eager for work. Fucking hire someone to fix this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back