Archived Money Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick fyi for you and everyone...just being employed doesn't mean you don't qualify for food stamps. I know several tms who use a SNAP card and get medicaid. When you are living close to the line financially there are programs that can help you make your earnings stretch.
We usually make enough to get groceries and I don't like getting assistance when you don't need it. My roommate applied yesterday and we will have about 100 to spend on groceries soon. I don't feel I should apply. I've had it before but I usually wait until it's a real emergency. This ordeal will last two weeks to a month at worst but my next two weeks are full 40s and I can totally survive on basic stuff. I think I'll be okay but I'd love that extra 100 bucks right now to feel comfortable for one more week for things like gas, pet food and and other stuff food stamps cant buy.

Edit: I know hours are tight right now and I'm so surprised I have fellow TMs who work just as hard as me only getting 24-28 hours or some crazy shit while I'm pulling high 30s and now two 40s in a row. I know I work more areas of the store but damn they can be crosstrained. They're great TMs. I wonder if their availability is super low or something. I feel for them.

Last edited:
I tried to apply for SNAP and they said "WOAH, you make TEN whole dollars an hour?! I'm afraid you don't qualify, Mr. Buffett...or is it Mr. Gates?!"

Fuckin' stupid
I make just over 13 and would only probably get 50 bucks for SNAP. Odd they won't even give you any.

I make just over 13 and would only probably get 50 bucks for SNAP. Odd they won't even give you any.

That was a few years ago and there's no way I'd get any now that I make a whole 11.50. Literally the John D. Rockefeller of hourly retail according to the SNAP office

It depends on the state, where you live in the state, what your status is, etc. etc.
The fucked up thing about SNAP is that every state gets to fiddle around with it and make up different rules.
In some cases that makes sense.
A state where food costs a hell of a lot more and all has to be flown in like Alaska shouldn't have the same rules as California.
But then you get Red states that decide to food shame their SNAP people and make them take drug tests (which surprise, surprise, they pass because what do you know, poor people can't afford drugs).
So yeah, what is fair and just in one state doesn't work in another.

didnt know that was a thing but I am gonna be signing up for my 401k after my tax return
Yeah if you have 401k you can take out a loan against it and pay yourself back weekly via paycheck deductions ( plus 5% interest ) you can stretch the payback out over like 2 years if needed typically borrow 1/2 of the total amount in the 401k

That was a few years ago and there's no way I'd get any now that I make a whole 11.50. Literally the John D. Rockefeller of hourly retail according to the SNAP office
Odd because I knew a TM who had a girlfriend going to college so she was kind of dependent on him and he worked 26 ish hours a week on average and got only 80 a month. Felt super bad for him but 80 is better than nothing and he made about 12.50 if I remember.

Odd because I knew a TM who had a girlfriend going to college so she was kind of dependent on him and he worked 26 ish hours a week on average and got only 80 a month. Felt super bad for him but 80 is better than nothing and he made about 12.50 if I remember.

The $80 was likely based on providing for 1 person only since they were not married. She could have applied in her own name as well.

good news...tax returns came in and they got hired at a local place...always optimistic =) we got groceries, bills are paid and I feel great when I go to work everyday once again...didnt even need the government assistance which I hate using unless I need it. I feel like Im scamming getting free money for not having enough cash but I know that's not how it is. Love you guys. Thanks for all your advice and care. Also my avg hours are 36 ish atm! Heck yes.

Last edited:
Great news! May things continue to go well.

I tried to apply for SNAP and they said "WOAH, you make TEN whole dollars an hour?! I'm afraid you don't qualify, Mr. Buffett...or is it Mr. Gates?!"

Fuckin' stupid

As a single mom, $8.50 ph job and 32 hours a week; I couldn't qualify for snap because I made too much. I was bringing home $480 paychecks and paying $480 in rent. You do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back