Archived Moving to Starbucks as TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be strong! Other promotion opportunities will come around. The amount of work to turn around a red center (and learn all that coffee lingo) is absolutely not worth an extra $40/week.

Your group has to have someone on the bench that would love this opportunity to turn around that work center. Let them have their chance to shine, while you get to keep your sanity and keep your work center green.

Learning the drinks will be easy enough. There are patterns to the drinks and they become muscle memory pretty quickly. You may find a drink or two that you like--who knows? I have the opposite problem. I don't like almost all of the Starbucks drinks, but I like coffee and unsweetened iced tea. I have no problem making, recommending, or selling whatever drinks we have though lol.

I had never had more than a tiny sip of coffee my entire life until my first day as a SBTL. I'll admit that it wasn't easy at first because they didn't do a thorough job training me on drinks, but 2 months later I was training people and they were asking me how many years I had been doing it because I had it all mastered. It should definitely not be a reason to turn down the position. Also, within about 6 months I was drinking coffee daily.

Memorizing the drinks is the easiest part of the job. It's really not hard because like others have said, there is a routine and pattern for every drink. Once you learn the standard latte and the coffee frappuccino, you got the rest down because it's all the same steps, just adding different syrups. Once you get the hang of Starbucks, it can be a really fun workcenter. There's more stress out on the floor than in Starbucks because you're the boss and even the STL and ETLs go to you when there's a Starbucks inquiry. You'll do great, you have the passion to do a great job and that's what will help you get that work center back on track.

Don't live by what if, just try it for 6 months to 1 year. Like others have said, you control Starbucks. It can lead to better job opps outside of spot, down the road.

My current pay grade is (last time I checked) is N15. They offered $1 increase. Would it be in too much to ask for more going from Meat to Starbucks (Perishables - High Volume Super Target)?

My current pay grade is (last time I checked) is N15. They offered $1 increase. Would it be in too much to ask for more going from Meat to Starbucks (Perishables - High Volume Super Target)?
I would absolutely ask for more money. They obviously are very eager (desperate) for you to take this position. You are holding all the cards. Negotiate the $. You have nothing to lose by asking. Do it with complete confidence.

I would absolutely ask for more money. They obviously are very eager (desperate) for you to take this position. You are holding all the cards. Negotiate the $. You have nothing to lose by asking. Do it with complete confidence.
Make a list of the biggest opps you've noticed at SB & what all you will be addressing during your negotiations.
Let 'em know you're serious & you won't do this for peanuts.

Is Starbucks a down or upgrade in paygrade? meat is N15

Last edited:
Make a list of the biggest opps you've noticed at SB & what all you will be addressing during your negotiations.
Let 'em know you're serious & you won't do this for peanuts.

Yes, only do it for a substantial raise. $40 bucks more a week is not worth it considering what you already have. Remember you may be working a lot of long days at the beginning due to the attendance issues you previously mentioned. Remember , a big payday means leadership will expect a big turnaround at SB.

You don't seem like you're really looking to make this leap so don't get pressured into taking the job. If it's not a good fit for YOU, the next 12-18 months are going to feel like years.

It's great that leadership has confidence in you, however, their goal is to get someone to run the work center, simple as that. Only you knows what will make you happy in your career and what kind of work/ life balance you need. It's okay to stay where you are and reap the rewards of the work you have already done in your current department.

Target doesn't typically do wage negotiations unless you have prior experience. That you're being offered a dollar is strange enough. 15 is your highest pay grade before Senior at 17. You could lobby for keys which is another dollar, or for senior and all that comes with that.

I would definitely negotiate the pay. If they are willing to move you from Meat to Starbucks, make them put their money where their mouth is. You will be working long days because of the attendance issue and if I was you, I would ask for the ETL overseeing Starbucks to already start holding the team accountable to their shifts before you transition since they have no TL right now. If you're really not up to it, don't do it, but if you're willing for a challenge, a green Starbucks can be so great to run. When I officially became SBTL, I had a team that had a green process but had attendance issues, the negatively was running rampant where you would just walk to Starbucks and cut the tension with a knife. All the TMs including myself had been there for more than 3 to 5 years and they were used to a TL that while she did the work with us, wouldn't hold anyone accountable or set expectations. When I got the position I already knew right away what needed to be done, what to keep and what to end. You already have that advantage so I don't think it will be difficult for you. You may be able to even cross train some of your TMs in your current work center who will be reliable. You have resources :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back