Archived Moving up over my TLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a little bit of a weird situation that I could use advise on.

I already have my degree, but I took a TM position because of a lack of jobs in my field in the area. We relocated here for my spouse’s work, so the job search has been rough. I’ve gotten to the point where I enjoy working at Target, but I know I’m very overqualified for my position.

I’ve spoken to my leaders, and they are interested developing me for a Team Lead position. However, I also spoke to a Target recruiter from my college, and they said I should be talking to my STL about an ETL position given my education.

Here’s my issue: my STL is very close to my current TLs and ETL, and I don’t think she is going to want me to get promoted ahead of any of them. I just can’t think of a good way to approach this without any of them getting offended.

Any advice? Do I talk to them about this, and how? Or should I just take the leap and apply for an open ETL position at another store?

It’s your career, so apply. If you are qualified, why not?

I guess my concern is that it would get back to my leaders when I apply, and I’ve been told you can’t really get promoted without their approval of you. Granted, I don’t know that much about how internal vs external hires work at Target, but I guess I’m just worried about not getting the ETL gig and then being retaliated against at my current store.

I guess my concern is that it would get back to my leaders when I apply, and I’ve been told you can’t really get promoted without their approval of you. Granted, I don’t know that much about how internal vs external hires work at Target, but I guess I’m just worried about not getting the ETL gig and then being retaliated against at my current store.
You have a degree? Figure it out, cut this “what if” bs. Go to HR and express your interest, they will guide you with real information ,instead of hypothesizing like you are.

@Humble TL nailed it. You have to look at things from a Boss standpoint and not a worker standpoint. If you are selected to be an ETL, you’ll come across times you have to “challenge upward” and that means asking the tough, confrontational questions. Just remember “think like a boss”. Not saying so in a cocky, arrogant way. Just be professional and confident. Good luck and get that job!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I think this long ass job search has just shaken my confidence a little bit, so I’m thinking through different scenarios more than I should. But y’all are right! Appreciate it!

I've been told across the board that once hired as a TM you can't jump to ETL. It's seasonal to TM to TL to Sr TL to ETL. To some extent they can fast track those moves, but for some reason they can't skip over them. Once you're in the position it's better to jump ship and reapply unless you have managed to time changing stores often enough to move up the ranks.

One thing external ETL college students will have over you (and usually why current college students interning, are chosen over graduates). Is all of their health insurances are covered through their school. Therefore Target can train them while they are using their schools benefits, rather than Targets.(this goes for much of all industries).

Last edited:
I've been told across the board that once hired as a TM you can't jump to ETL. It's seasonal to TM to TL to Sr TL to ETL. To some extent they can fast track those moves, but for some reason they can't skip over them. Once you're in the position it's better to jump ship and reapply unless you have managed to time changing stores often enough to move up the ranks.
Nope. We have a current ETL who moved up from TM this year.

Maybe it's specific to my area then as that's been the company line across 2 districts, but then we rairly have TM that overqualified.

This was something I’d read as well online, but the recruiter didn’t mention an issue with that. Unfortunately, my school isn’t in my current district, so he couldn’t help me too much other than passing my resume along.

If you want to be managment or career driven then you need to be ok with being your boss’ boss at some point.

You can't jump to etl at your own store, so don't worry about jumping them at the moment. Once you jump try to continue to network and develop the others when possible to make sure they don't feel used or climbed on if you feel the need.

On the ladder to success, you must use someone people as a steps and others as handles.

You definitely can. I have an ETL that skipped Sr. TL, and my store has promoted HRTM to ETL HR in-district before. Talent days for leadership are definitely a way to fast track this, though.

It is easier to get an etl position as an outside hire. Harder and longer to promote from within.

We've had people with business degrees and past manager experience get hired as seasonal, then they bring in "fresh" ETLs, the "fresh" ETL is done in less than a year and the seasonal, or TM or TL, that has the experience either gets stuck or goes externally to get the job they had the experience for. In one case a Sr TL that was a recent hire got passed over for new ETLs. The store went through 4 ETLs, in less 2 years and they didn't promote the Sr who knew more than the new ETLs. I know of similar cases like that in at least in 4 stores in 2 districts that's been the case.

Last edited:
We've had people with business degrees and past manager experience get hired as seasonal, then they bring in "fresh" ETLs, the "fresh" ETL is done in less than a year and the seasonal, or TM or TL, that has the experience either gets stuck or goes externally to get the job they had the experience for. In one case a Sr TL that was a recent hire got passed over for new ETLs. The store went through 4 ETLs, in less 2 years and they didn't promote the Sr who knew more than the new ETLs. I know of similar cases like that in at least in 4 stores in 2 districts that's been the case.
Damn shame. Expensive, too.🙄

As a potential ETL, you need to show the courage and the drive to get what you want. If your are meek you will be passed right over. If you want it, you need to GO GET IT! Sell yourself. Make them know why moving you into the ETL position would be the best thing they could do..
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back